• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 17.11.2007 [in F major]

Exclamation November Sun (17.11.2007) [in F major]

Hello all,
    here I am again to present you my second composition using GPO. A little backstory you can read during listening: this piece was firstly inspired by the idea of wanting to create a song for someone I got acquainted with in the music school I went to last September. She had a birthday coming so I thought I'd make a little surprise. Initially, it was just a melody with chords (the theme that you can hear the oboe playing starting around 0:45), with an improvisation of the birthday theme following (you can hear this on the piano at about 1:48 in this piece) and a conclusion, which sounds very much like the famous birthday song we all know (this is the solo piano at the end). As the title indicates, that was her exact birthday and also the day when I first performed it to her on the piano. Anyway, what I've done with this is create an intro and try to expand it with the orchestra and additional instruments. The full list is: all strings, piano, oboe, flute, bassoon and choir.
    So listen and tell me what you feel about it, all criticism and advice how to enhance it is welcome, even better title suggestions, anything! Enjoy!

November Sun

Re: 17.11.2007 [in F major]

Hello Brindle,

What a lovely and romantic idea!
    Your music is excellent!
    I fully enjoyed the delicate meditative-like sound of it.
    I don't think it needs any changes, except for the name...

Hello, Brindle

Aaaaah, what a lush and beautiful piece, a pillow of love and comfort dedicated to your friend. Superbly done - Simply wonderful.

I couldn't see a profile for you, so don't know where you are in the world - Europe somewhere? Your title was confusing to this American at first, because we list the month first, so the title would be "11/17/2007."

Be that as it may - I feel, along with Yudit, that you definitely need a new title. It's such a personal piece, I wouldn't be able to guide you there--just to say that digits are far too cold for the warmth of your music.

Randy B.

Hi Brindle,

this is a very nice composition what you did! And also I like your mixing and sound! Well done!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Okay, I thought of a title and came up with 'November Sun', at least it's somehow relevant, I think. Updated first post, thread title and song link
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: November Sun (17.11.2007) [in F major]

Hi Brindle,

A great sounding composition. I particularly enjoyed the oboe in this, standing out against the background strings. The simple but effective treatment of 'Happy Birthday' makes a perfect ending - but at the same time, I wanted this to be developed further. Please take that as a compliment - I enjoyed this and could happily listen to more!

Bellingham, WA

Hi Brindle:
    A very engaging work, and a nice touch at the end. My reaction is that for a "love song," if you will, it was a little "bottom heavy." The droning lower strings add a bit of an ominous foreboding of impending disaster or least, disppointment. Take the bottom octaves out of the drone and you've got a real champion.

Re: November Sun (17.11.2007) [in F major]

Quote Originally Posted by Brindle
    So listen and tell me what you feel about it, all criticism and advice how to enhance it is welcome, even better title suggestions, anything! Enjoy!
    Very soothing and relaxing piece of music. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

For some reason, I expected something very different; I am glad I was wrong. This is such a lovely, calm, and reflective piece. The rendering is just right - I think the balance, reverb, attacks are spot on. The coda is a nice touch.

Some have suggested that it be longer; perhaps. It feels very good, just as it is.

Hope your friend enjoyed it as much as we did!

Thanks for this.
    Ron Pearl

I too, enjoyed this piece very much. The bottom maybe a little heavy as sosmus stated but it didn't really sound forboding to me (just lush and rich). The simple Happy Birthday at the end was effective for how you intended the piece but, I think that the piece prior to it's statement stands on its own well designed merits. Very Nice indeed.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast