• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pirates- The Maiden Voyage

Share/Bookmark

Pirates- The Maiden Voyage

Hi all.

It’s been a good while since I posted anything in the LR but I’ve been actively busy. As some of you might know from visiting my website, http://www.johnakermusic.com I stated that I have been working on a film/soundtrack score on and off for a good while. Well, I finally had the chance to put some finishing touches on it and tweak it enough to get it sounding pretty good. I haven’t posted it on my site yet because there seems to be some issues with the ftp upload page so, I just put it on soundclick until they can fix the problem.

Anyway, this score utilizes almost every sound library I own. Below, I’ve listed the libraries used in this production. As always, your feedback and input will be greatly appreciated.

LIBRARIES

GPO- BRASS, STRINGS, PERCUSSION, CHOIR
    EWQL- BRASS, STRINGS, PERCUSSION, WINDS, HARP, CHOIR
    INDEPENDENCE FREE- WORLD PERCUSSION
    FRUITY LOOPS- STRINGS, PADS,
    MAGIX MUSIC CREATOR- TIMPI, WORLD PERCUSSION
    SONY CINESCORE- AMBIENT PADS

DAW

FRUITY LOOPS

FINAL MIXDOWN

REAPER
    MAGIX

The link:
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6206288
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: Pirates- The Maiden Voyage

HI, John!

OOH Yeah! That's yer high flyin' adventure movie music done up in Spades! Right on--Sounds just fantastic.

Visited your site---you said there was info there about this project,--couldn't find any--?

Pirates - curious why, when pirates are so--Done. -Still, there's some more swash to buckle out of the genre I guess--As evidenced in your exciting project.

I feel inspired to quote Gunther, because it feels so right - "coooooooool!"

Randy B.

John,

Wow you really covered all the bases on this one, huge epic sounding in every way. Excellent composition and production!!! It was interesting looking over the list of libraries and tools used to create it as well. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Randy, you stated: "Visited your site---you said there was info there about this project,--couldn't find any--?" There is a small section on my site, under the "News" link, that I briefly mentioned the projects I was currently working on, including this one. I didn't go into much detail reguarding this particular score but, now that it's finished, I will be updating that info. You also stated: "Pirates - curious why, when pirates are so--Done." Well, I've always loved a good pirate movie! There is just something I find appealing about them. Maybe it's the vast ocean, or the panoramic scenery? I'm not really sure why I like 'em, I just do. I love the whole "swash buckling" thing.

Gary, you stated: "Wow you really covered all the bases on this one, huge epic sounding in every way. Excellent composition and production!!!" Thanks! I really wanted the score to have a HUGE epic sound, to paint as vividly as I could the image I was trying to convey. This project took around 4 months from start to finish. I literally sifted thru every sound library, sample, loop...everything I own to find the right combination of elements, that would "enhance" the listening experience without taking away from the overall theme. That aspect alone, I think was the hardest to achieve. Glad you enjoyed it!
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Hello again, John

I hope you get it that I really am impressed with this Pirates sound track project. I love good adventure movies with ships and Pirates and all that too - I just know I'm weary of the Johnny Depp series which I don't like, they're so grotesquely over-the-top and Hollywoodish--ick. Gimme the Old adventure movies over those Any day.

Excellent work - Just wanted to come back and underline That part of my reply.

Randy B.

Randy, I completly agree about the whole "Johnny Depp" thing. Even though I am a big fan of the pirate movies, "Pirates of the Carabean (sp?)" just didn't do anything for me. The overacting and soooo much "over the top" antics as you said, just really took away from the whole concept. "Excellent work - Just wanted to come back and underline That part of my reply." Thanks Randy. I am glad you also found the finished score enjoyable. I had alot of fun working on this one, (secretly being the guest conductor as it played in my studio.) wink, wink!

To be honest, In the past, I found myself struggling. Not so much with composition, but more with workflow and just coming up with a good concept for a score. I had plenty of inspiration, but getting my ideas from my head to a working score was the challenge for me. I guess in a way, I was trying to force the piece together and that just was causing more problems. Working with this project, gave me the chance to express alot of creativity and it just seemed to meld together. I don't know if that makes any sense? All my other projects I tried to compose from an image in my head, and I would end up loosing the concept. With this project, I kept an actual image of a pirate ship with breath taking vistas, open on my pc to look at as I was fleshing out and structuring the score. When I ran into a mental block, I just got up from my studio and sat back and looked at the pictures. If nothing else came to mind, I just put it up until a creative spark hit me. This gave me the chance to really dive into every library, sample, loop, etc. Until I had fully explored every angle and element possible, to give myself, and other listeners, the best possible listening experience.
    Last edited by shaver; 01-27-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Yeah, real exciting cinematic music!

I liked the jolt right from the top. I could see it all.

I could hear all the work you put into this.

Phil

John:

A great adventure theme and well rendered. This is
    definitely Pirate music.......lol

Seriously, it is well-crafted and very interesting to
    listen to.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Great work John. I noticed from your Bio that you are not a string player. I'm looking to start a career or at least serious hobby in scoring for film and have a few small projects I'm working on. I have a limited sample library and hope to build it up as the year goes on. I have a good ear and have been writing music of some sort since I was a child. I'm now 39.

Any books or material you could recommend that helped you understand composing for orchestra? I am a piano player and am classically trained, have played jazz, written for choirs, etc, but am new to composition for orchestra. I'm trying to absorb everything I can get my hands on.

Again, nice work. How long have you been working with these libraries and composing with them?

Eric

Hi fastlane! You stated: "Yeah, real exciting cinematic music! I liked the jolt right from the top. I could see it all. I could hear all the work you put into this." Thanks! Couldn't you just see the hulking ship as it sailed the vast ocean with the waves crashing against its wooden hull?!

Rhap2, "A great adventure theme and well rendered. This is definitely Pirate music...Seriously, it is well-crafted and very interesting to listen to." Thanks for listening; I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hello ericjm68! You stated: "I'm looking to start a career or at least serious hobby in scoring for film and have a few small projects I'm working on. I have a limited sample library and hope to build it up as the year goes on. I have a good ear and have been writing music of some sort since I was a child. I'm now 39."

First of all, let me start off by welcoming you to the forums! You have definately found the most active, friendliest online community on the web! That's fantastic you are looking to get started in film scoring either as a serious hobby or even as a carrear. There are so many talented composers and musicians here at NS, the sky really IS the limit!

"Any books or material you could recommend that helped you understand composing for orchestra? I am a piano player and am classically trained, have played jazz, written for choirs, etc, but am new to composition for orchestra. I'm trying to absorb everything I can get my hands on."

The best advice I can offer, is to take advantage of the tutorial section here on the forums. There are so many great ones covering a wide area dealing with strings, winds, brass...and so much more. They are all pretty much straight forward. You can also ask for help with a specific problem, or any questions you might have with composition, sound libraries etc. in the "General Discussion" room. This is a great community, and with so many talented members, you can always get answers and help when you need it.

I am still a novice composer, still learning myself. But, with the help of so many gifted composers and muscians, I have learned a great deal; much more than I would have on my own. Thanks for your feedback and listening!Welcome to the forums AND to Northern Sounds!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast