• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "An Irish Scene" (Revamped)

Share/Bookmark

"An Irish Scene" (Revamped)

Y'all,

I have revamped my "An Irish Scene" by writing many new measures of music for it, changing the key and adding harp to the instrumentation.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "An Irish Scene" (Revamped)

Good morning, Mr. Larry

This is my first introduction to "An Irish Scene," and in a word, I rather Love it.

Great opening with the Harp, and very pleasant surprise when the nimble string section takes over.

This actually has nothing to do with the piece on its own, but I'm aware that a contrast I enjoy between this and the long list of pieces I've heard from you, is that this primarily minor, whereas much of your work is so pronouncedly happy, major - and I enjoyed the change of pace. This is full of the trademarked Alexander energy and wit, and manages to be sprightly and full of life despite its minor key.

I think it's great. Thanks!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Good morning, Mr. Larry

This is my first introduction to "An Irish Scene," and in a word, I rather Love it.

Great opening with the Harp, and very pleasant surprise when the nimble string section takes over.

This actually has nothing to do with the piece on its own, but I'm aware that a contrast I enjoy between this and the long list of pieces I've heard from you, is that this primarily minor, whereas much of your work is so pronouncedly happy, major - and I enjoyed the change of pace. This is full of the trademarked Alexander energy and wit, and manages to be sprightly and full of life despite its minor key.

I think it's great. Thanks!

Randy B.
    I thought that no one was going to give this one a listen.

Thanks, you old thespian, for pulling this one out of the fire of cyber nothingness.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

The harp is a very nice touch! Both the solo passages, and the flourishes work well. At times (not all the time) it seems a bit too far forward in the mix. But that's talking about "realism" - it still sounds great.

I agree with Randy - minor suits you well. It still is a pretty "happy" sounding piece.

Very enjoyable!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    The harp is a very nice touch! Both the solo passages, and the flourishes work well. At times (not all the time) it seems a bit too far forward in the mix. But that's talking about "realism" - it still sounds great.

I agree with Randy - minor suits you well. It still is a pretty "happy" sounding piece.

Very enjoyable!
    Yes, the Harpo Marx is too loud in most places.

I extend my appreciation for your good words, Mr. Ron. Thanks.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry:
    Begorrah! Add a few drums, some cloggers and a few of those long legged step dancers (ala the River Dance Troup) and we'll transported to the old sod!
    Great harp work. In the vernacular of an old jazz musician: "You really swing!"

sos

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    Larry:
    Begorrah! Add a few drums, some cloggers and a few of those long legged step dancers (ala the River Dance Troup) and we'll transported to the old sod!
    Great harp work. In the vernacular of an old jazz musician: "You really swing!"

sos
    Thanks, Dude. You swing too.

If I really knew what the heck I was doing, it would scare me.

My best to you,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

This is your "dreamy" side, Larry! This, thanks to some pretty nice harp stuff in there. You also definitely had that lively "gigue" feel with some nice 6/8 syncopations going on, giving it that authentic Irish kick!

This was a bit different for you, Larry, and it certainly worked! Thoroughly enjoyable due to your usual great job!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    This is your "dreamy" side, Larry! This, thanks to some pretty nice harp stuff in there. You also definitely had that lively "gigue" feel with some nice 6/8 syncopations going on, giving it that authentic Irish kick!

This was a bit different for you, Larry, and it certainly worked! Thoroughly enjoyable due to your usual great job!

Danny
    Thanks very much, Mr. Danny. I'm pleased that you liked it.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

The harp adds some really worthwhile flavoring to
    this, Larry: good idea!

A delightfully dreamy dance through a Dublin dawn,
    by dang!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com