• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Help with Networking Mac and PC

Share/Bookmark

OT: Help with Networking Mac and PC

Hey everyone,

Man, I'm sorry for the amount of off topic posts lately. Hopefully, this will be my last one. I'm having trouble networking my G5 (OS X 10.4.10)with my PC (Vista Business Edition) I've managed to get the PC to connect to the mac. I can browse the Mac's hard drive and what not, but I can't seem to figure out the other way around.

Does anyone know the procedure to network the Mac to the PC? I'm guessing that when it's done, it would show up as a "mounted" drive on OS X's desktop.

Thanks for the help, again.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Help with Networking Mac and PC

Hi

Check out this url... http://www.mac-connect.com/win_from_mac.php

Hope this helps

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Click on Go, then Connect to Server
    Type in your Server Name then share name i.e. \\mycomputer\sharename

That will do the job!

-Kevin (A.K.A. The new Mac Addict)
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thanks for the help guys. I got it to work last night right after I made this post. Tricky stuff, sometimes. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to configure synergy on the Mac so I can use one keyboard and mouse for both computers. I'll figure it out, though.

Thanks again,
    Jonny

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Thanks for the help guys. I got it to work last night right after I made this post. Tricky stuff, sometimes. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to configure synergy on the Mac so I can use one keyboard and mouse for both computers. I'll figure it out, though.

Thanks again,
    Jonny
    Hi Jonny, my friend,

I have been looking for something like what you are doing for a long time. The best solution would be to have DP Dan's setup -with hardware for all the connections and interfaces, but.... I don't have money for that.
    so I have had to be a bit inventive with my studio setup.

I have found a solution for using one keyboard, monitor and mouse to control all my machines by way of www.logmein.com

This is a free site (though it has more powerful options, but those cost money) designed to allow you to access your mac or PC remotely, but I have found a use for it in my home studio.

It is not the best way - I really wish I could do it off-line, but I have found this to be actually faster than a local VNC. (and much less bulky than a hardware KVM switch - which was rather annoying)

If you don't mind your computers being on the internet, and if you have a gigabit ethernet hub or router, this is very quick - almost as quick as a real connection with the monitor and keyboard/mouse.

In my setup, I have only one monitor - (I want two, but even when I do get another, it will be for my mac). But anyway.I have my macs (mac 1 and 2, we'll call them) networked via the built in MIDI over network in OSX. I just use a standard simple USB MIDI in/out from Edirol to send MIDI from Mac 1 to the PC, I have Plasq's Wormhole - which is FREE!! to route audio from my Mac 2 and also my PC back to the Mac 1 which has my DAW on it. Mac 2 and the PC are used to host libraries.

Anyway - I use logmein.com to control both my mac2 and pc using my high speed internet. I just started using this setup and I am pleased with the results. OSX's MIDI over network has super low-latency and Wormhole is also very low-latency.

Downside to this setup - requires outside internet connection. (and for audio routing - a gigabit ethernet port on your PC) I looked into a local VNC solution, but it never performed very well. Also, if you are wanting super image resolution and quality, you will be disappointed. You can have logmein match the resolution and quality of your machine you are controlling, but... that comes at a price of performance. But since all I am doing is occasionally setting up instruments and settings on the hosting PC and Mac, I have it at the lowest quality image, (which is B/W) and it works very well for me. Rather than having to "switch" my views of the different machines I am controlling, I just have each view of my PC or my Mac 2 opened in web browser windows which are minimized and are ready when I need them by simply maximizing the view. It is very nice.

Anyway. I still have some kinks to work out, but... this works.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Darn, no chance to inject my Cisco knowledge. =(

Glad ya got it working ^_^
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Jerry,

Good grief, that's quite a setup. It actually sounds almost exactly what like what I'm doing.

I'm glad that you brought up Wormhole 2. How are you routing audio from your plug-ins into your DAW? Are you using a VST Host? If so, which ones? I've been looking online for about 2 hours now and haven't been able to find a free one for Mac.

My setup is backwards from yous, however. I have my Macs networked to my PC, so I can run Sonar Home Studio. However, I also Have DP5 on my Mac, so I could do it backwards as well. I think.

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone and if anyone knows of a good (and free) VST host for Mac Os X. Please let me know.

Have a nice day,
    Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    I'm glad that you brought up Wormhole 2. How are you routing audio from your plug-ins into your DAW? Are you using a VST Host? If so, which ones? I've been looking online for about 2 hours now and haven't been able to find a free one for Mac.
    Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone and if anyone knows of a good (and free) VST host for Mac Os X. Please let me know.

Have a nice day,
    Jonny
    Well, what I have been doing up till now is running DP5 or Logic on my DAW Mac - G5. MIDI from that gets routed either a hardware connection (to the PC) or via the Built-in Midi-over-network in OSX to the other Mac.

I use either my PC version of Tracktion to host the VSTs on my PC (which actually works great and I did not have to pay extra for - both Win and Mac versions are on the same CD) - or I use V-stack from Steinberg - which also works well but is NOT free. The Wormhole 2 VST is a SEND in either of those apps and is the START of the Wormhole connection session.
    That goes right back into my DAW via the ethernet connection. Now, usually I like to work in Tracktion - but this solution does not work very well in that DAW, since it does not allow for inserts other than standard audio or standard MIDI. (no plugins as inserts.)
    So if I want to use the other machines in my studio, I cannot use Tracktion, I use either DP5 or Logic as my DAW these days. I can insert Wormhole 2 as an insert into an Audio track and record enable that and record. It works very well. (I actually have to have an audio track that sends to a Bus or whatever and have another Audio track that has the Bus as its in and then it seems to record fine. Kind of a weird work-around - but it works - and it is all digital - no loss of signal via analog audio ins and outs.

Wormhole is a godsend.

OK -

If you are using Sonar as your controlling DAW, then I would suggest using RAX as a AU host for your hosting mac. It is much like V-stack but hosts Audio Units vs. VSTs. It is not free - but it is pretty inexpensive. It used to be free and was developed by the same company as Wormhole, but not anymore.

Reaper is another option if you want FREE. You can use it as a host. Any DAW can be used as a host. You just have to know the routing.

Ugly VST is another mac freebie - but it only hosts ONE instrument (only ONE midi channel).
    Anyway
    that is what I do.

Good luck and please let me know what you do

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum