• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recording the output of one program into another?

Share/Bookmark

Recording the output of one program into another?

Hello everyone,
    I was just wondering if there is an application like WireTap Studio that can record output from Kontakt Player 2 or any other sound program on Mac OS X. I've been using the trial, but at $70, the program is pretty pricey for what I need it to do.

Can GarageBand record output from other programs? I can't quite get that one figured out. Is there something else that can? I've looked but I can't seem to find anything.

Re: Recording the output of one program into another?

You could try connecting the computer's audio output socket to its input socket, then run Garageband or whatever for output, and use Audacity for recording.

Terry Dwyer

P.S. I have not tried this!

Be very careful, you could wreck your soundcard if you get an uncontrollable feedback loop by plugging output into input. Go through an internal mixer first with the volumw turned right down, and increase it slowly to avoid this effect.
    Some soundcards have a volume control progamme you could run instead

Audio Hijack Pro is cheaper ($32). They used to have a basic cheaper program but that seems to no longer be offered.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    I was just wondering if there is an application like WireTap Studio that can record output from Kontakt Player 2 or any other sound program on Mac OS X.
    Sonare Coeli,There may be another solution.

On Windows if I open volume control/recording then one of the recording inputs is "Stereo Mixer".

For example,from the Internet I can record from Stereo Mixer direct into my Recorder program.

Stereo Mixer seems to be a sound card function - it was not available on the on-board sound on my previous PC. I haven't yet looked at my new PCs on-board sound.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I was just wondering if there is an application like WireTap Studio that can record output from Kontakt Player 2 or any other sound program on Mac OS X. I've been using the trial, but at $70, the program is pretty pricey for what I need it to do.

Can GarageBand record output from other programs? I can't quite get that one figured out. Is there something else that can? I've looked but I can't seem to find anything.
    As I understand it there are no time limit on the trial and there will be no tweaking with the sound if you save as AIFF. So it is free if you like.

Björn

The answer depends on what sound device you have and what its routing capabilities are. But in principle, audio output routed from Kontakt Player ought to be able to be routed to the input of Garageband without doing any wiring or buying any software. IF you say what sound device you are using someone may have it and be able to explain exactly what you need to do.

Go Back to forum