• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advice on creating sample library

Share/Bookmark

Advice on creation of a sample library

I'm interested in creating my own custom sample library, starting with the instruments me and my friends play (as exercise). So I was wondering if there are any good resources covering techniques and ideas for sampling and creating good multisampled instruments, like websites or books?

As an example: when sampling a piano to create a high number of discreet velocity layers (say 12 or 24) how is that practically done to make sure you get consistency? And is the solution to that problem applicable to other instruments as well?
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Re: Advice on creation of a sample library

Quote Originally Posted by dahnielson
    I'm interested in creating my own custom sample library, starting with the instruments me and my friends play. So I was wondering if there are any good resources covering techniques and ideas for sampling and creating good multisampled instruments, like websites or books?

As an example: when sampling a piano to create a high number of discreet velocity layers (say 12 or 24) how is that practically done to make sure you get consistency? And is the solution to that problem applicable to other instruments as well?
    This isn't really a tip on how to do it, but...

Be mentally prepared. You'll need lots of patience and discipline. There are no shortcuts to quality. When you look at the detailed libraries (even for single instruments) you're talking about 1000's of discreet samples.

Re: Advice on creating sample library

Yes, I know. Many years ago I produced a new voice for speech synthesis and I can tell you that working with instrumental samples are much more pleasurable. I've also in the past edited, looped and programmed a string quartet on my Akai S2000 with 18 MB RAM which also took some patience.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Anders,

look for Redmatica which is a one stop solution for making libraries. Unfortanetely for MAC only, there does not seem to be a PC equivalent.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thanks Hannes, the Redmatica Keymap application looks interesting and will be an inspiration. I plan to develop my own solution to record, process, edit and naming samples in an attempt to automate as much as possible.
    Anders Dahnielson

Anders,

Glad you are interested in the noble profession of sample developing. There is so much to learn - from recording, to sound editing, to programming, to DSP and MIDI - it's a very fascinating and edifying field.

There is a book that can be helpful in getting started called "Audio Sampling: A Practical Guide" by Sam McGuire and Roy Protts published by Focal Press. It's available on Amazon. This book covers the mysterious art of creating software instruments through sampling.

Another good source of information is here at the forum. Many sample developers started out being users and being involved in this forum - then took the leap. As you progress through your sampling project just ask. There are many helpful and knowledgeable people here.

You'll find as you get into it your creative side will flourish. Sampling is still pioneer territory and you'll discover new ways of approaching software instrumentation.

Good luck in your pursuit of being a samplist.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary!

That book looks amazing and is exactly what I've been looking for. And to say the least: j'adore this forum.
    Anders Dahnielson

My piano velocity layer question was answered when I found an old thread on the forum.

Also found this article regarding piano sampling:

http://www.doghousenyc.com/articles/pianosample.php

Not that I plan to sample any keyboards with insane amount of layers in the foreseeable future (shopping at Sampletekk for that is a lot more fun), was just curious about that bit. But I guess a simple solution is to have my software tell me if a recorded sample peaked the target velocity.

UPDATE: I also found the book Sample This by Simon Cann and Klaus Rausch via Google Book Search that looks intersesting.
    Anders Dahnielson

It takes a lot of patience. The actual recording session requires half the patience compared to the hours and hours of menial work, cutting the samples out of the session, making sure they start at a zero-crossing point, tuning the samples, etc.

And it takes experience. Don't expect too much from your first attempts. There are some things that are best learned by doing them. Learning how to make smooth velocity transitions, smooth note ranges are skills that you develop over time.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Could anyone explain what Redmatica does? I keep trying to go to their website and it crashes my machine every time.

Go Back to forum