• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Dear Violinists (2)

Share/Bookmark

Dear Violinists (2)

I have composed a tune for violin solo. This is a kind of etude for me to practice a violin writing. As I am not a violinist myself, I guess there are many mistakes and unperformable parts in the score.

music (by Strad)
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/music/violin_etude.mp3

score
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/music/violin_etude.pdf

Any input will be very much appreciated. I wish to make the piece at least actually *playable* if it should be a very difficult piece for a violinist.

I used Finale 2008 and its HP function. Then I bring a midi file into SONAR 5.0 for final tweaking. I found that A3 switch for tremolo did not work but otherwise the programs are working reasonably fine though sometimes my machine freezes with the score (P4 2.2GHz 2GB RAM)

#If someone wishes to play the tune real, it will be very much appreciated, of course.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Dear Violinists (2)

I quite liked this piece. don't know how easy it would be to play though. Only comment I can make is that there is too much reverb for a solo violin, although this is subjective, (If you like it then thats OK). A solo instrument should perhaps be played in a smaller space and this would not have so much reverb.

Hi Jun:
    Overall,,,nice piece with a well thought out development. You might want to consult the Kennon orchestration book or the Blatter instrumentation and orchestration book. I think that the use of double stops is very compelling, however, some of them violate the possibilities of advanced violin playing. Also, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to sustain a note while bowing another. Extreme leaps from 1st sting to 4th string at very fast tempos while switching positions on the finger board usually equates to missed notes. Thanks for posting this.. I would consult with an advanced violinist to get a more accurate picture of what is possible. Best wishes.
    John Taylor

I would call that outstanding. Initially the piece had the feel of a study exercise, but the development carried the whole to a higher level. In terms of use of the strad, this had assurance and control. (Did you use keyboard, mouse, or a mix of the two?) The acoustic was well chosen (to my ear), wet but not dripping. What a shame the strad and its companion cello have been dumped in mid-series. Whatever comes later as replacement will need something more than optional vibrato to match the expressive possibilities of the strad and gofriller.

Jun

This very well done and thought out. I can't help with the technical aspects of this, just the listening one and I found it to be very listenable.

Well done

Ron

Does he master the Strad? Yes!! I also don't know if it is playable, but it certainly has "something" virtuoso elements in it. I just liked it. Amen.

Raymond

Hello, Jun - Exciting post, thanks for it!

Along with most people who have responded so far, I also am not a Violinist - so can't give accurate feedback about the feasibility of your work. Like you probably do, I sit with an orchestration book turned to the section on Violin when I work with The Strad, and Try to figure out if I'm coming up with something actually playable.

As John Taylor said, double stops are certainly "compelling" - I'm just never Positive that I'm using examples that a player could actually execute. Extreme leaps between notes, and how the various strings are involved --I can never get a clear picture of how all that works.

So, many of us are in the same boat.

Meanwhile, you certainly made a great sounding recording with your Strad--it's such a fantastic library and invariably sounds impressive, just sometimes it's Especially impressive - as in your piece here.

The tremolo keyswitch doesn't work for you? - That's odd--Do you mean it's not working in Finale, or Sonar? Or both?

It sounded like you didn't use the Trill keyswitch--?

And at 4:45 there's a slide of notes that sounded like an overlapping polyphonic section, rather than monophonic. Did you accidentally trigger the poly mode there?

Overall, it's sounding great--Now, it would be Very interesting if a well-versed Violinist could help us all out with more detailed answers to your questions.

Thanks!

Randy B.

Jun:

Very expressive and so well played with the Stradivari.

I would like to hear Hannes critique on the "playability" of
    this etude.

Beautiful playing, Jun. Really sounds like "live" to me.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jun,

This is a fantastic workout for the strad. Very exciting and captivating music. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead
    Only comment I can make is that there is too much reverb for a solo violin, although this is subjective, (If you like it then thats OK). A solo instrument should perhaps be played in a smaller space and this would not have so much reverb.
    Thank you very much for your input. I will reconsider the amount of reverb in a revised version.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast