• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cole Porter's "I Love You" GJBB

Share/Bookmark

Cole Porter's "I Love You" GJBB

http://www.box.net/shared/hsfxdluck4

Cole Porter's "I Love You" GJBB

I think I'm getting closer. If feel that if you were a HS or College band director, you could tell enough from this to know if you'd be interested in having it. There is a complete solo's w/bkgd section omitted for brevity.

$o$

Addendum:I took some of Randy's and Paul's advice, made a few small adjustments. Can you detect a difference?
    sos 27 Jan 08

Re: Cole Porter's "I Love You" GJBB

Nice chart, Mr. Steve. I like it. You're getting there.

For some reason, in the "streaming" mode, the mp3 player starts replaying your file immediately after it finishes. There is no pause. (?)

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry:
    Thank you.
    As to the repeating, I've had that happen while still in the iTunes setting but I have no idea what is causing that after I isolate the file. ????????????????????

sos

SOSmeister - SOSman - The SOSeNAter!

Really pro chart - I can't imagine a band director not wanting to work with it.

Reverb seems little bit more under control - um, still awfully distant for my taste. Have you tried listening to this completely Dry - and then slowly adding Wet signal until it's sounding alive but not distant?

HEY you guys--SOS and Larry--you haven't noticed before that the stream from Box repeats like that? That's always the case. You just don't want more than one MP3 in a folder, because then it'll loop through All your pieces in that folder. With just one file, it always starts repeating if you don't stop the player, but at least it's still just the one song.

Great work!

Randy B.

Randy:
    I'll be careful from now on, to make sure that I put only one mp3 in the folder. They say "when you're ready your teacher will appear" but in your case Randy, I'll have to amend that saying to "will appear, and keep reappearing, and keep reappearing, and keep reappearing, and keep reappearing, ad infintum.
    I'm a little confused again because I set the dry at 30% and wet at 70% for this one. Is that a "no no?" Is the type of music I'm doing and the size of the group I'm using (5,5,5,4) having a bearing on this?
    Bewildered in Bellingham!

sos

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    HEY you guys--SOS and Larry--you haven't noticed before that the stream from Box repeats like that? That's always the case. Randy B.
    Yes, I know that it repeats but on all other files I have never heard it repeat so quickly and without a pause whatsoever as it does with Steve's mp3.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hello again, guys

"...Yes, I know that it repeats but on all other files I have never heard it repeat so quickly and without a pause whatsoever as it does with Steve's mp3..."

That's just because this file instantly ends, there's no breathing room at the end of the recording. I generally leave a second or two after the last reverberation has completely faded out. That way, there's several moments of silence before the file repeats, and most people have time to then stop the player before it loops around again.

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    I'm a little confused again because I set the dry at 30% and wet at 70% for this one. Is that a "no no?" Is the type of music I'm doing and the size of the group I'm using (5,5,5,4) having a bearing on this?
    Bewildered in Bellingham!

sos
    When it comes to using reverb, I wouldn't say there are Any definite "no nos." Sometimes we want huge reverberant sound, sometimes we want a close, intimate sound --sometimes within the same recording. So I never mean to imply that there are hard and fast rules.

But the percentages you list here are rather opposite of the way I explained it on your last thread. Trying 70% Dry and 30% Wet would be a worthy experiment. That's around the average amount of reverb I use. I would say that I usually start more like 80% Dry and 20% Wet - it rather depends on the nature of the reverb I'm trying out.

You just have to keep in mind that the reverb setting in its default completely Wet setting is just the Potential full reverb - never intended to be used at full strength. It's like the water pipe going to your tub is potentially a big, strong geyser - we use a faucet to let out just a percentage of that potential water stream.

Here are some recommended Dry to Wet mixes as they're listed in an old user's guide I have for the Alesis Microverb - and these aren't specific for that unit, they are appropriate for any reverbs, including the virtual versions we now use:

Horn Section - large room, 60-50 % Dry, 40-50% Wet
    Strings - larger room, 50-0% Dry, 50-100% Wet
    Bass Solo - small room, 90% Dry, 10% Wet
    Percussion - medium room, 60-70% Dry, 40-30% Wet
    Lead Vocal - small room, 60% Dry, 40% Wet
    Background vocals - larger small room, 50% Dry, 50% Wet

Get the idea? These are wetter settings than I generally use, since I just have a personal preference for less reverberent recordings, but notice that most of the recommendations involve more Dry signal to Wet. 50/50 isn't a bad way to start experimenting when you set up a mix.

You just don't want to wash out your instruments, making them sound like they're in these shimmering huge spaces - unless that's a special effect you want.

Randy B.

Randy:
    Time for confession. I got your %'s reversed and I keep forgetting to add an extra blank measure on the end. I did put one on the beginning--Duh!
    I know that you're not a doctor but please have "patience" with me.

sos

PS: Since I am using the "notation" instruments in the GJBB, I do not have an external mod wheel or mixing board to adjust individual instruments. To hear what I've done, I have to guess at a setting and make an aiff, because my monitors distort the play back so badly I can't tell anything. Do I try for an over-all reasonable compromise?

If your monitors are distorting so badly, have you checked the Volume slider in the Windows/Sounds applet? Also, have you checked the volume slider on the mixer in your software program? Finally, if you're using something other than the built-in soundchip of your PC, is there a mixer function involved with its software? It's possible that you're overloading the system at one of those points which is creating all the distortion you're hearing. Generally (and this is a broad generalization), they should all be at roughly the same level. The technical term is "gain staging" - making sure that an optimum signal level is maintained throughout the audio chain from sound generation to playback.

Also, I'll echo (no pun intended) what Randy was saying about the reverb settings. I generally find that a "Hall" setting is more pleasing to my ears, with a mix of 15% or less Wet and 85% or more dry. It doesn't take much. Reverb is like a cooking sauce. It should enhance, not dominate or distract.

BTW - excellent arrangement!
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

$o$ (neat)

Steve

I don't see how anyone in their right mind wouldn't want to play this.

Others can help with the tech aspect much better than I can, I just enjoy what you have here.

Well done

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast