• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dvorak - Humoreske for saxophone quartet using CMB

Share/Bookmark

Dvorak - Humoreske for saxophone quartet using CMB

The Dvorak "Humoreske" is one of those work that you hear and can't help get a slight smile of your face. A meer two minutes in length, it is one of the lighter works of Dvorak. Here I have set it for saxophone quartet (SATB) and rendered it using Finale 2006 and the CMB library;

www.garybricault.com/mp3/DvorakHumoreskeSaxQuartet.mp3

As an added bonus I also set it to clarinet quartet for my daughter, who plays in such a group at Cornell Univ. This also rendered using the CMB library;

www.garybricault.com/mp3/DvorakHumoreskeClarinetQuartet.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Dvorak - Humoreske for saxophone quartet using CMB

Gary

The arrangement is great but something is not right with the dynamics. It sounds like someone is turning the volume knob up and down. Loud as can be and then way too soft. It doesn't come across as realistic at all.

Like I said though, the arrangment is great.

Ron

Hello Garibric

If you dig up Dvorak's original piano score, I think you will find this music is marked Poco Lento e Grazioso. Rather slow and graceful. It works a millions times better played that way with a distinct wistful touch. An accurate peformance normally lasts over 3 minutes. However, if you enjoy it better at this speed, then no harm done. Humoreske here is used in the sense of a bagatelle, and this famous little piece was one of a set of short pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Gary

The arrangement is great but something is not right with the dynamics. It sounds like someone is turning the volume knob up and down. Loud as can be and then way too soft. It doesn't come across as realistic at all.

Ron
    Ron,

I don't disagree with you. The saxes are very sensitive to the dynamic changes. Especially the sf marking. I have narrowed the range of the markings expect for the sf for which I have yet to figure out how to modify it. Does anyone here have an idea where the sf is setup? Let me know.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    Hello Garibric

If you dig up Dvorak's original piano score, I think you will find this music is marked Poco Lento e Grazioso. Rather slow and graceful. It works a millions times better played that way with a distinct wistful touch. An accurate peformance normally lasts over 3 minutes. However, if you enjoy it better at this speed, then no harm done. Humoreske here is used in the sense of a bagatelle, and this famous little piece was one of a set of short pieces.
    I worked off of the original score. It is not marked with an explicit tempo other than the Poco Lento e Grazioso. I have heard it played over a range of tempi, and no it is not a million times better performed very slowly. I cut the tempo here slightly but not a lot.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary

Fair point. Not a million times better. Dangerous to be too mathmetical. And I am the first to argue to performer's right to decide a reading. But to support my point, YouTube has an archive rendering by Mischa Elman recorded a year or two after Dvorak's death. So presumably that was then the accepted tempo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNfkX9Qmp4 By the way, I am getting to grips with the Concert Band, so all demos are of interest.

Hello, Gary

What fun - More surprise settings for Sax. You're a man on a mission with these adaptations, and I always look forward to hearing more.

Yes, there is a problem with the huge jumps in volume dynamics, as Ron pointed out and you agree with. As always, I have nothing but admiration for people who squeeze life out of the notation approach where just a handful of dynamic markings determine the volumes - But I ask again, isn't there a MIDI editor where cc1 itself can be worked with?

I doubt if I would have thought of the same comment about tempo that dermod did, but I do agree that a slower more lilting pace would probably work better.

This was an interesting one, Gary - I wonder why these huge volume jumps haven't been so much of an issue before?

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Gary

What fun - More surprise settings for Sax. You're a man on a mission with these adaptations, and I always look forward to hearing more.

Yes, there is a problem with the huge jumps in volume dynamics, as Ron pointed out and you agree with. As always, I have nothing but admiration for people who squeeze life out of the notation approach where just a handful of dynamic markings determine the volumes - But I ask again, isn't there a MIDI editor where cc1 itself can be worked with?

I doubt if I would have thought of the same comment about tempo that dermod did, but I do agree that a slower more lilting pace would probably work better.

This was an interesting one, Gary - I wonder why these huge volume jumps haven't been so much of an issue before?

Randy B.
    This one has really large and aburpt dynamic jumps, that I don't like either. I have compressed the range down somewhat. I am trying to work with my scores without created special demo only versions. They have been somewhat of an issue before. Even to the point of playing with the settings within the Human Playback interface. The saxophones are especially sensitive to the expression changes I have found. And I don't know exactly why.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Nicely arranged, Gary.

Finale rendering can be problematic, at times. With something
    like this, myself, I'd almost certainly make custom expressions,
    in that Finale's stock expressions really aren't "one size fits all".
    The general idea is to make custom expressions that, while
    fixing the rendering shortcomings, yet retain the appropriate
    mark-up for the printed score... which is a bit of a juggling act,
    but not that hard once you get a little practice at it.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Gary

Ron

I agree. I like the way it sounds on clarinets alot better though; very mellow, pleasant, playful and reedy. :-)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast