• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spellbound recordings

Share/Bookmark

Spellbound recordings

Hi Folks,

Here are some songs we recorded vocals to last week.

Where I Want to Be
    (Lead character has just discovered that her Aunt & Uncle have been lying to her about her parents' death 18 years ago)

Something Sinister
    (Now with vocals, Meldah warns Garlan, the Grand Wizard of Thorandall of an imposter in the midst)

Fragile
    (Lead female, Herianne moaning about her parents again)

Just a Girl
    (Garlan telling Herianne to stop whining and get on with the task at hand)

The Legend
    (A barman telling a backstory in a crowded tavern, with a nervous piano player in the background)
    Enjoy.

Regards
    Paul & Christian
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Re: Spellbound recordings

Hi, Kinvint

A treasure trove of "Spellbound" songs!

I'm really going to enjoy coming back to this thread to hear more-!--For now, I've listened to "Where I Want To Be" and just love it!

This definitely has the new-Broadway style and sound. Wonderfully achieved - and Ashley Williams, that's the singer's name? She's excellent!- I see her name in the scrolling MP3 tag, but it says "Untitled"--maybe you'd want to go in there and add the song's title.

Thanks so much for this - You've made just a few rare appearances in The Listening Room over the last year since I've been a member, giving us some of the show to listen to--This is great that now there are suddenly all these vocal mixes for us to hear.

I'll be re-visiting the thread!

Randy B.

Kinvint

I only had time for the first 2 so far and they sound very good. She does indeed have a nice voice.

I did like the duet better though in the second one.

Well done

Ron

I've listened to the first one. It's real nice.

She has a good strong voice. Be nice to her!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Kinvint

A treasure trove of "Spellbound" songs!

I'm really going to enjoy coming back to this thread to hear more-!--For now, I've listened to "Where I Want To Be" and just love it!

This definitely has the new-Broadway style and sound. Wonderfully achieved - and Ashley Williams, that's the singer's name? She's excellent!- I see her name in the scrolling MP3 tag, but it says "Untitled"--maybe you'd want to go in there and add the song's title.

Thanks so much for this - You've made just a few rare appearances in The Listening Room over the last year since I've been a member, giving us some of the show to listen to--This is great that now there are suddenly all these vocal mixes for us to hear.

I'll be re-visiting the thread!

Randy B.
    Thanks so much for giving some time to have a listen to some of our work. I'm glad there are other Musical Theatre lovers out there. Ashley certainly did do a great job in the vocal department. And for someone who has never recorded in a studio, I thought she was excellent too.

We have actually been posting on the forums for a couple of years now but I try not to post every piece we write or record in fear that people might get sick of hearing our stuff I don't want to bore everyone to death; I know that our work isn't everyone's cup of tea. We do, however, always take comments and advice very well and most of the time use them to help improve what we do.

I have enjoyed very much listening Dorian over the months, even though I have only had chance to catch some of it and post comments on a couple. There's some great melodies in your work and lots of complexities to Dorian's music which I find amazing! It's a lot of work to undertake, writing a full musical. I wondered... how many songs in total are in each act and how much dialogue? How long is your longest piece of dialogue? I loved your Finale and left a comment in that thread for ya. I sincerely do wish you all the best for the first of many runs and maybe we'll see each other on Broadway one day

Kindest regards,
    Paul (Kin)

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Kinvint

I only had time for the first 2 so far and they sound very good. She does indeed have a nice voice.

I did like the duet better though in the second one.

Well done

Ron
    Thank you, Ron. I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying the work. I posted Something Sinister without vocals last week. You can now hear the song in full

My personal favorite is The Legend - simply because it was all done in ONE take and was fun to record.

Kind regards,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I've listened to the first one. It's real nice.

She has a good strong voice. Be nice to her!

Phil
    Thanks Phil. I shall pass on your compliments to Ms Williams. We are always nice to her. Christian is particularly nice to her

She'll be happy to see all these comments about her voice. I hate it, of course. Just kidding! I think she suits the part perfectly.

Three cheers for Ashley...

Hip hip...

Hi, Paul - Since you've invited this slightly Off Topic tangent on your thread--I'm happy to converse:

Quote Originally Posted by Kinvint
    We have actually been posting on the forums for a couple of years now but I try not to post every piece we write or record in fear that people might get sick of hearing our stuff I don't want to bore everyone to death
    I can relate to your worry - very much. When I first started posting numbers from "Dorian," I was self conscious about how it wasn't the kind of music most listened to and talked about here in The Listening Room. But so many already established Forum members assured me that they enjoyed having variety and that there is plenty of room for music other than the more "serious" variety of composition here.

So, over the last year I tried to be careful about not inundating the room with "Dorian," --I generally posted the numbers every other post - putting up various projects I was also working on inbetween. But there became such a following for the show, - I finally really believed everyone and went ahead without worries, plowing through the score and sharing the whole thing.

"Spellbound" I really think has had only 2 or 3 postings in all of 2007. From my "Dorian" experience, I really feel it's safe to say there are people who would like to hear much more than what you've shared so far. How can people get tired of "your stuff" when it's something different each time? I say--play more of it for us! Of course, this current post of yours really is a veritable treasure trove of demos,--as I said in my earlier response--So for that I'm really grateful.

I have enjoyed very much listening Dorian over the months, even though I have only had chance to catch some of it and post comments on a couple. There's some great melodies in your work and lots of complexities to Dorian's music which I find amazing! It's a lot of work to undertake, writing a full musical.
    Thank you so much! I've loved it every time you've caught one of the numbers and left feedback. Much appreciated.
    I wondered... how many songs in total are in each act and how much dialogue? How long is your longest piece of dialogue?
    There are 29 numbers in the show. 19 numbers in Act One, and 10 in Act Two. There are 46 music cues, counting the Curtain Call and Audience Exit. That's a bit deceptive though, because some musical moments with lyrics are brief - at least three are about one minute each, but of course they're still counted as numbers.

The longest sustained musical section is the Act Two Finale which you've heard - around 14:30. The next longest number is over 9 minutes, then there are several which are 5 minutes, and the rest are around 3. The concept was to have scenes set to music - so there aren't too many Songs per se. There are medleys, and dialogue set to music something like Operatic recitative.

There are purely dialogue segments, none very long. Sprinkled throughout there are a few scenes of 1 page in length, the longest dialogue sequence is probably around 4 minutes. But most of the show continues on with scene change music, short pieces of dialogue that are often underscored, and songs that connect into larger segments. I wanted it to be almost operatic in conception.

My original sub-title was "a portrait in music" because I wanted the piece to be like a combination of a music concert and a dramatic stage production. - I shouldn't neglect saying there is dance music spread throughout the score also.
    I loved your Finale and left a comment in that thread for ya. I sincerely do wish you all the best for the first of many runs and maybe we'll see each other on Broadway one day

Kindest regards,
    Paul (Kin)
    It'd be great to greet each other in our Tuxes while attending each other's shows on The Great White Way!

Thank you very much, Paul - It was fun to talk shop here a bit with you. Best of fortunes with your show!

Randy B.

I've been following this for some time as you know;
    and I listened through all of these with pleasure.
    Shaping up wonderfully, and it's great to hear the
    vocals like this!

My continued best wishes for success with Spellbound,
    Paul & Christian!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Paul and Christian,

Thanks for sharing these numbers! Absolutely professionally done and contemporary. Top-notch vocals also, along with a great mixing/recording job. A miniscule issue (compared to the stunning quality of the tunes): some of the auxilliary percussion sounds were a little "outer spacey" rather than from the imaginary pit. I thought they could use just a tad more dryness and presence.

That's very, very minor thing, though. Congratulations to all involved with this! When and where will it make it to the stage??

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast