• Register
  • Help

Topic: KP2 - KP2_8 out - KP2_16 out

Share/Bookmark

Question KP2 - KP2_8 out - KP2_16 out

Okay, I do not believe this has been ever answered satisfactorally. When using a DAW and inserting a Kontack Player, which of the 3 (KP2, KP2_8out or KP2_16out) do you use. Is each meant for a specific function?

I don't need the answer that KP2_8out has 8 outputs mono or 4 stereo and that the KP2_16 has 16 mono and 8 stereo. That I understand. But my DAW's (I am currently working with two different ones because each has a strong point and both have weaknesses) both tend to crash to desktop when I load too many instruments into separate (sometimes 4 K2 players). I can't use but the first 16 slots in the KP2 even though there are 4 internal racks of slots. Or at least, I haven't gotten the KP2 to use the 17-64 channels in my DAWS that only recognize 16 channels.

Is the answer simply that KP2_8out and KP2_16out use less memory? I have never read or seen a difinitve answer on any of these 3 players let alone all 3.

BTW, My Daws are: Sonar HS6 and Tracktion3.

Thanks for any answers that some of you may come up with.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: KP2 - KP2_8 out - KP2_16 out

I hope you don't mind I repeat a previous answer.

Kontakt 2.1 Manual Addendum:
    For VST only, three default plug-in versions are available with 8, 16, and 32 outputs respectively. For all other plug-in formats, outputs are selected dynamically via the host (please check the respective host documentation for details). If your host does not allow you to remove unused channels, these channels might still use CPU. Kontakt will automatically mute all unused channels and thus lower CPU usage within the Kontakt engine.
    As you can see from this excerpt from the K2 manual, lower CPU usage is what it is about. Apparently the VST protocol doesn't allow the host to automatically select the number of audio channels. So, to avoid the CPU overhead associated with running more audio channels, than you actually need, you use the plugin with the appropriate number of channels.

Thanks so much, Nickie. I knew I had missed the reasoning behind the 3 forms of the VST plug-in. I am still correct in my assumption that each Garritan sample is a stereo sample and requires 2 KP channels to get a stereo sound in the plug-in. i.e. the 8 out KP2 only supports 4 garritan instruments, the 16 0ut KP only supports 8 garritan instruments and the KP2 only supports 16 garritan instruments. So, if you only need 4 brass (as an example) you would use the KP2_8 out plug-in. Am I correct in my understanding?

As for the manual, KP2 or any of the Kontakt Players do not have a separate manual, the are part of the GPO or JaBB .pdf manual files. What is in those doesn't really cover all the aspects of the KP2 console and what all the little wheels, dials and menus actually are capable of. I have gone to the NI website and see no downloadable manuals for their products. I am assuming this is part of their copy protection so that you need to buy the Kontakt player in order to get the manual.

Am I missing something that came with the KP2 update as far as a KP2 manual goes or am I just not reading all of the Garritan .pdf manual?

Thanks again for your reply. As usual, you are prompt and courteous in your responses and THAT is much appreciated.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    I am still correct in my assumption that each Garritan sample is a stereo sample.
    YES!

and requires 2 KP channels to get a stereo sound in the plug-in. i.e. the 8 out KP2 only supports 4 garritan instruments, the 16 0ut KP only supports 8 garritan instruments and the KP2 only supports 16 garritan instruments. So, if you only need 4 brass (as an example) you would use the KP2_8 out plug-in. Am I correct in my understanding?
    Not Quite! You could eg have your piano, violins 1, violins 2, celloes, bass, clarinets, flutes all sitting in your KP2 player, but all outputting to just one stereo audio output (you can see the "st.1" by the word output in each instrument). You might not want this, because then you couldn't eq/fx each instrument seperately, but you could do it (in fact when you drag instruments into player, I think it defaults to this behaviour). So you could quite happly have 16 instruments playing through a KP Player with just 2-out.

The KP2 without an 'out' in its name has total 18 outputs
    The KP2_8 out has 8
    The KP2_16 has 16

That seems to me that KP2_8 outs is the more 'economical'.

Its not just CPU that gets burnt, some apps (eg Cubase and Cubasis VST) have a total fixed limit on mixer channels, so using them up needlessly is definitely to be avoided.

As for the manual......
    I didn't think there was a dedicated KP2 manual either - there was the update documentation for GPO in KP2. If there is one I'd love to see it!

I'm also using Sonar 6 and just starting to use KP2. Previously I've only used the DXI versions but the DXI for KP has default as St.1 and St.2. I would like to have the ability to use each instrument with it's own slider as I have done in the past with KP1. I'm not usre how to accomplish this in KP2. Any suggestions?

Rich, you already got a fine answer from LOW; I can't really add anything to it. I often have several instruments on the same audio channel myself (like f.ex. all strings or all woodwinds) - you can balance them against each other with CC#7 (if this is enabled in each Instrument's Options) if need be.

Re the manual: No, there is no specific KP2 manual. The one I quoted is the K2 manual. This is covered by the K2 license.

ofafeather: Raymond62 had a thread about this a while ago. See if you can find it.

Go Back to forum