• Register
  • Help

Topic: Two user-interface suggestions for future products

Share/Bookmark

Two user-interface suggestions for future products

Seeing that Aria's release is imminent, and that Stradivari and Gofriller have disappeared from the product lineup, it is easy for me to surmise that we are about to see some new Aria-based products.

So if it's not too late, I would like to make two suggestions for future products' user interfaces:

1) I have an E-MU Xboard MIDI controller, which I believe is a fairly popular product. It is capable of supporting an expression pedal and a damper pedal, but not both at the same time. Proper use of Strad requires both at once, which is quite a limitation. Can I suggest that you arrange for future products to be more easily controllable with only one of these pedals?

2) GPO comes tantalizingly close to working with my WX-5 wind controller, but there is a glitch I haven't been able to figure out how to circumvent. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to explain, so I apologize in advance for the length of this explanation.

When I play a note on my wind controller, how hard I blow determines the note's MIDI velocity. Thereafter, every change in my breath pressure registers on MIDI controller number 2.

Kontakt Player 2 uses MIDI controller 2 as a synonym for controller 1, the mod wheel. On the surface, this is good. However, it appears that the loudness change implied by the mod wheel gets superimposed on the loudness implied by the velocity. The effect is that when I play softly, the result sounds much softer than one would expect, and it is impossible to play a note that starts softly and then gets louder.

I believe that the right way to handle this is to allow the loudness implied by CC#2 to supersede the initial velocity. I would be happy to supply a sample MIDI data stream for testing purposes.

Re: Two user-interface suggestions for future products

I have no idea about your second suggestion, but i totally agree with your first! I recently brought the gof and was a little perturbed to find that not only did it require an expression pedal, bt that a midi controller with an expression pedal port was way out of my budget!

Im making do with re-programming the vibrato controller to my pitch bender and volume to modulation, but tis not an ideal solution i know....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    Can I suggest that you arrange for future products to be more easily controllable with only one of these pedals?
    Andrew,

Yes, that is what we are working on. We realize that most users don't have two pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    GPO comes tantalizingly close to working with my WX-5 wind controller,

When I play a note on my wind controller, how hard I blow determines the note's MIDI velocity. Thereafter, every change in my breath pressure registers on MIDI controller number 2.

Kontakt Player 2 uses MIDI controller 2 as a synonym for controller 1, the mod wheel. On the surface, this is good. However, it appears that the loudness change implied by the mod wheel gets superimposed on the loudness implied by the velocity. The effect is that when I play softly, the result sounds much softer than one would expect, and it is impossible to play a note that starts softly and then gets louder.

I believe that the right way to handle this is to allow the loudness implied by CC#2 to supersede the initial velocity. I would be happy to supply a sample MIDI data stream for testing purposes.
    This is something we will work on. We want to get wind controlers working optimally with ARIA. We are also thinking of assignable controllers. A sample MIDI data stream may be helpful for testing.

Thanks,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Yes, that is what we are working on. We realize that most users don't have two pedals.
    Actually, I do. But it's a right royal pain to use them. I can't connect them both at the same time to my Xboard, so what I have to do is connect the damper pedal directly to the Xboard, then route the Xboard's output through a Midi Solutions expression pedal interface box. Unfortunately, that box has to be powered from the MIDI device upstream from it, and the Xboard doesn't supply MIDI power. Which means that I need two auxiliary boxes: the pedal interface box and a separate power supply box for the pedal interface box. And of course I need a wall wart for the power supply box, and also I can't use the Xboard via USB because its output has to go to the input of the pedal controller. Which means I also have to use a separate USB port for the purpose.

If I had known, I'd have waited for the new Edirol keyboards, which can accept two pedals at once.

This is something we will work on. We want to get wind controlers working optimally with ARIA. We are also thinking of assignable controllers. A sample MIDI data stream may be helpful for testing.
    I'll send it to what I think is your email address.

I know is not the solution "out of the box" but im looking to use a joystick pedal (the ones used to play car games) like an expression pedal. I have done that with a hand-joystick sucesfully. It requires some midi routing and some specialized midi applications,free, but is useable. I will report when done to anyone interested.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum