• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt In Sonar 6...

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt In Sonar 6...

Hi, all. This might be somewhere already but maybe someone can direct me to it or help me figure it out. I have several garritan libraries in Kontakt 2.1 now that I am using in Sonar 6. When assigning a midi track to a Garritan patch I assign a midi channel. What do you do after you finish 16 channels? Kontakt will allow you to get up to 64 patches it seems, but you can only use 16 channels through Sonar, per instance of Kontakt. Can anyone clarify this for me? Do I need to add another instance of Kontakt as in the old days when each program could hold 8 in each instance? Thanks.~Eric

Re: Kontakt In Sonar 6...

Yes, insert another instance of Kontakt 2.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

You are correct, you can only use 16 channels in Sonar (as far as I have been able to figure out). You simply add another kontakt player for 16 more instruments. They will be on channels 1-16 also but those channels will be directed to the 2nd instance of your player not the 1st. The biggest caveat is that the more players you use, the more CPU power is being drained and freezes or at the least pops and clicks will occur due to processor lag trying to keep up with all the material you are asking the CPU to due. This is different for every computer and ram configuration as there can be many ways to one can configure a computer (including things running in the background which a lot of us forget about until we find our computers starved for som free processing time :-) ).

I hope this helps a little.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks. I feared as much. Also, in the older Garritan editions you were able to direct the sound output to sprecific channels in Sonar, each of which had their own slider in the console. Do you have to only use the sliders in Kontakt now or can I redirect as previously? Thanks again.~Eric

Do you have to only use the sliders in Kontakt now or can I redirect as previously?
    If I understand you correctly, Sonar 6 can place any instrument or sample or channel from a Player in any of the 16 available channels. That is done in the track view on the left hand side when you expand the view of each track. It is there you can assign a track to each instrument, in this case, you have added to the KP2 player. You can also assign which midi channel it will be on.

If you are in mixer view, each GPO instrument in the kontakt player should have its own instance of a mixer channel and you can indeed move that slider up and down for volume control in the mix.

Rich

Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. In this case I am talking about assiging audio output from Garritan to an audio slider in Sonar. I'm not sure if I know the correct terminology but I seem to remember assigning stereo pairs to each insutrument, then I would do the mixing in Sonar. It seems that the default in Kontakt is to start with a St.1 and St.2 slider in Kontakt itself. That is then output to a slider in Sonar. Don't know if I'm making sense or not.

the default in Kontakt is to start with a St.1 and St.2
    And where would you want these outputs to go instead. Aren't ST.1 and ST.2 the main stereo left and stereo right out to you sound card?

You can assign the outs of a channel in the mixer to a sub out and then on to the main outs. Is that what you are referring to?

I guess I am not sure what you want to do with the instruments in GPO. I have not use any earlier versions of Sonar, so I can't make the connection.

Rich

Typically I've had each instrument output to an audio slider in Sonar. I then group them into several buses then out to the mains. I can mix right in Sonar. I'm not sure how to do that with Kontact 2. In the older Kontact player I assigned outpairs for each patch. In Kontakt 2, do I need to insert into Kontakt 2 a stereo slider for each patch? Again, I'm not sure if I'm being clear. My goal is to be able to mix in Sonar. Thanks and sorry for any confusion.~Eric

I'm beginning to understand you, but not how you assign to different sliders. You want to mix directly in Sonar. I usually take each midi track and make it as good as I can with Controllers to tweak it to its best soun. I then render the midi track to an audio track. When I am all done, I mix and use subs for all my filters in the Sonar mixer using the rendered audio tracks. To me , that is much easier than mixing and getting balances right in a midi file.

Rich

That makes snense. Do you find it to be more consistent that way? Also, I think I figured out my original problem. I found an earlier thread http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55437 which told me, at least, that I wasn't crazy. I also learned that when you add channels in KP2 you need to click "Reset Out. Map." for it to assign channels properly in the DAW. I'm in the process of trying out now. I would also like to try you're method. Thanks again.~Eric

Go Back to forum