• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using the strad... as a cello!

Share/Bookmark

Smile Using the strad... as a cello!

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a long time now, but I didn't post a lot. I'm more like a listener than a talker, i guess..
    I just want to say: this is a great place to hang out and there are very talented people around here!
    It's the very first time I post something in the listening room. I hope you like it!

On the link below you can download an arrangement i've had to transcribe. They wanted a karaoke-version so they could sing along with it. The original had the vocals on it.

But the reason why I post this is the fact that I used the strad as a cello, and I think it sounds pretty cool!
    At the time I made this song, I didn't have the gofriller cello, so I played the cello part an octave higher with the strad. And then I used a pitchshifter to make it sound an octave lower.

All the rest is GPO. Reverb is Altiverb.

You hear the cello part at around 33", in case you only want to hear that part. Because it's an arrangement, and I think it's kinda borring without the vocals..

Here's the link:

http://webs.hogent.be/hannesdemaeyer...%20(final).mp3

Enjoy!

Hannes

Re: Using the strad... as a cello!

Very inventive HannesDm! I wouldn't have tried that for fear it would sound bad, but on the contrary, if you had not told me the part was played by the strad and not a cello, I don't think that I would have noticed.

BTW, the rendition of the piece is very good as well. This is a very nice backup for any singer. It truly sounds as an orchestra had performed it!
    What a nice piece of orchestrating HannesDm! I'm glad you came out of the shadows and gave us a chance to hear this.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi other Hannes,

welcome to this forum. It is a great place to be!

Then, thank you for posting this, it is very interesting.
    I have used pitch shifting with audio material for sweetening cello lines with my violin, so this surprises me not as much as it could. However the quality of your pitcher is very good, what do you use?

Very musical rendering also. The violins at 2:50 would deserve some more love and clarity, otherwise very nice sound.

Best
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

HannesDm

Very nice piece.

The rendering is great for someone just lurking in the shadows and not using the help provided here to fine tune your skills.

The sound isn't as good as the Grof, but is still very nice. I have wanted the pair (Strad and Grof) but cannot afford them at this time, but now perhaps I can see just buying one for now.

Well done

Ron

@RichR: Thank you for your nice comment!

@Hannes_F: Beautiful name you've got there! I used Waves SoundShifter. I know, some of the strings-sound could be better.. Thanks for your comment!

@rolifer: Thank you very much. Glad I could help you with a temporary solution.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    I have wanted the pair (Strad and Grof) but cannot afford them at this time, but now perhaps I can see just buying one for now.
    Not to hijack the thread, but Gary's dropped both the Strad and the Gofriller.

Not to hijack the thread, but Gary's dropped both the Strad and the Gofriller.
    The quote is incomplete. He is developing a whole new GPO and the GSOA as well as much more giving us more bang for our buck in the new ARIA engine. There is a lot on the horizon and Gary is excited about it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Very true ... didn't mean to misrepresent!!! My bad!

Tom

Yes, it's pretty close.

It's a real nice mix.

Try giving the lower strings very little if any verb if you aren't doing that already. Too much verb on the low end tends to muddy things up.

I'm glad you de-cloaked!

Phil

Another talented Hannes! Welcome to The Listening Room. It's great that you finally stepped forward, said hello, and offered us something so beautiful to listen to.

It's a very warm, pleasant piece, and I think both the arrangement and the recording are very high quality.

Earlier than the slight muddle at 2:50 our other Hannes was pointing out, I felt the full string section was too static in its volume - the only tiny bump in the otherwise very effective listening experience.

Thank you!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast