• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ennio's Dance( new part)

Share/Bookmark

Ennio's Dance( new part)

It was suggested that I add a lead in for this one but I quickly came to the conclusion that it really needed a separate part for the beginning. At least it's in another key and it's "different".

I think it works but would like another opinion on it.

Here's the link for Ennio's Dance(take 3)

http://www.box.net/shared/alpofwp440
    Last edited by fastlane; 01-29-2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: update file

Re: Ennio's Dance( new part)

Nice one, Mr. Phil. Lots of variety in one piece. Keep up the good work.

From which sample library did the guitar come? I like it.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Phil,

Beautiful opening - very "open plains" and vistas (views, not the operating system...). The strings coming in with their bold statement, followed by the guitar/piano - it all has that overture-like feel, where we hear all the motives for the different characters. In short, very effective and cinemagraphic.

I do like this version better, but the opening could be a piece unto itself.

Is the guitar "live"? Is that you playing? Works well!

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I enjoyed this piece very much. Really nice usage of the strings!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Halvor

I'm sorry that I didn't comment on the first onw. I do remember listening to it, though. This version is a very clean mix. It is reminiscent of the spaghetti westerns of the 70's ala "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". Very well done. Your guitar playing is excellent. I assume that was you playing the guitar anyway.

Compositionally, the only problem I have with the piece is the multiple times the piece just stops before the next section enters. My preference would be for some transition material, but that is my preference and only a suggestion.

I really enjoyed this. Now go write some more!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hiya, Phil

It's great to re-visit your spaghetti western style piece again so soon. Loved the first version - this one has a superb new opening.

The craftsmanship and care that's gone into this recording is very clear and inspiring.

I understand RichR's comment about the way you've multiple (and sometimes lengthy!) pauses to divide the sections. I would also prefer them to be connected, even with something as simple as soft strings sustaining the previous chord. The way it is right now, it's episodic and discontinuous, not allowing for a big general impression to made. It's like separate film score cues - maybe your intention?

Big wonderful work here, Phil!

Randy B.

Phil

This is a great opening for this. I went back to see what I had said about the original, and this takes care of my only complaint, which is way too strong of a word, but I am tired and can't think of another one.

I enjoyed this the first time and am still enjoying it. Great themes, great rendering and a neat new beginning.

I do agree with Randy and the others, That conecting some of the sections would only enhance this.

Very well done

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Nice one, Mr. Phil. Lots of variety in one piece. Keep up the good work.

From which sample library did the guitar come? I like it.

Best regards,

Larry
    Thank you Larry G. Alexander

The guitar is my new Martin D-16 acoustic guitar. I use to play the guitar but it aggravated my carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the release operation some years ago and my wrists are fine now.

Phil

rpearl

Thanks for the nice comments.

Beautiful opening - very "open plains" and vistas (views, not the operating system...). The strings coming in with their bold statement, followed by the guitar/piano - it all has that overture-like feel, where we hear all the motives for the different characters. In short, very effective and cinemagraphic.

Yes, I thought the new part was a good balance for the heavy strings. I really didn't set out to do anything cinemagraphic but I guess that's how it ended up. I have some other personal feelings about it but it's really just made to enjoy.

Is the guitar "live"? Is that you playing? Works well!

Yep, that's me on the geetar partner.

halvor

Thank you for listening and posting your comments.

RichR

I'm glad you like it!

I'm sorry that I didn't comment on the first onw. I do remember listening to it, though. This version is a very clean mix. It is reminiscent of the spaghetti westerns of the 70's ala "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". Very well done.

You know I just had sort of a hum tune and laid down the guitar chords and out popped spaghetti western music.

Your guitar playing is excellent. I assume that was you playing the guitar anyway.

That was I.

Compositionally, the only problem I have with the piece is the multiple times the piece just stops before the next section enters. My preference would be for some transition material, but that is my preference and only a suggestion.

I went back and listened to it and the transitions are about what I want for this one. It just felt like they needed some separation. I might take a hair out of the space between the first and second parts though.

Phil

Hello Randy

Thanks for being such a good monitor and for you comments.

It's great to re-visit your spaghetti western style piece again so soon. Loved the first version - this one has a superb new opening.

I don't know where the opening came from but it seems to work. There might be a little Fripp & Eno in it. I just saw The California Guitar Trio that met each other at the Robert Fripp guitar school in britain.

I understand RichR's comment about the way you've multiple (and sometimes lengthy!) pauses to divide the sections. I would also prefer them to be connected, even with something as simple as soft strings sustaining the previous chord. The way it is right now, it's episodic and discontinuous, not allowing for a big general impression to made. It's like separate film score cues - maybe your intention?

If you listen carefully or really crank it up you'll hear that all the parts just barely touch each other except for the first and second parts. That's what I was trying to do here. I think I will tighten it up between the first and second parts.

Ron

Thanks for posting again. I also think the new beginning makes a lot more sense or at least makes it all work better.

I do agree with Randy and the others, That connecting some of the sections would only enhance this.

Hey, I thinking out of the box.

Or maybe I'm just out of my mind.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast