• Register
  • Help

Topic: Moving from PC to APPLE (registration question)

Share/Bookmark

Moving from PC to APPLE (registration question)

Hello there,

I hope i post this message on the good topic (Tips, Techniques & Tutorials)

I am planning to move from PC to Apple (one more ) but i wonder about the registration of my garritan products.

Will it work ?

If not, i will stay on PC (i will not pay double for the same instruments)

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Valère

Re: Moving from PC to APPLE (registration question)

Hi Valère,

It will work just fine! The Kontakt Player 2 interface (and your registration code) runs on PC and MAC.

Best,
    Reegs

How Come Reegs ?

When you register a NI product (like many others musical softwares) there is a component of the computer used to create a something-like challenge cryptogram. Even if with the new registration way of NI product (with the online registration tool) you don't need anymore to copy it it still works like this.

How i know it ?

Few weeks ago the mother board of the PC i am using for music gave up.
    To find what component of the PC failed i've moved each component (one by one) to another PC. As every component work in the other PC i've deducted that it comes from the mother board (the power supply was ok).

To check if the registration code was linked to the mother board or to the CPU i've run Windows from my HD (used normally on my music computer) and tried to start Kontakt Player 2 provided with one of my Garritan librairies but without changing my CPU.

It failed

I've replaced the CPU with the one used on my music computer (i am lucky it was the same socket) and it worked.

So if i buy a Mac and want to use my Garritan librairies of course as the CPU will be different i will need to register again and i do not know how to proceed .
    I think there is a way to unregister my licence on my PC (I've read something like that on the FAQ on NI web site)

I've send NI's support an e-mail but i do not have answer yet.

Valère

Here the answer of NI's support :

Each computer generates a unique System ID that can not be used on a different computer. Please activate the product on the new computer with the Service Center.
    When i've read this e-mail, i could not believe it.
    Where is the security ?
    Strange isn't it ?
    It would mean that i would still be able to use my product on my PC ?
    I don't think that each time i start KP2 it's going to internet to do some checking.

Can some people who moved from PC to Apple can confirm me that it is as simple as NI's support answer me ?
    It is very important for me (i will not buy Mac if it's wrong)

Valère

Yes, it is that easy.

I've got GPO installed on both my PC and Mac.

Rob

Great !

I've believed we were allowed to use it only on one computer and that there were some technical control.

Good.

Now i have to save money to buy an Apple

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valouz
    I've believed we were allowed to use it only on one computer and that there were some technical control.
    You technically own two simultaneous licenses with each KP2-powered product, the original design of which was to conveniently allow you to use your product on a laptop and desktop. It also works out nicely to have it running on PC and Mac. Should you decide to uninstall it from your second machine, it can go onto a third (or fourth) without a problem also.

Excellent !

This is a good explanation.
    What about KP1 powered product (i own JABB too) ?

Valère

JABB is currently a KP2 product too, but the registeration thing is same with all the NI products. You can activate it on two computers.

Also remember, that when you unactivate the product on a computer, you will get this activation "back", so when you get rid of your current computer, remember to deactivate all the NI-products on that computer, so you can use those activations on another computer.

I switched from pc to mac and everything works well, I didn't have to repay for any sample libraries.

May be the one sold now but mine is KP1.

But if the politic of NI is to agree two activations for one product it's ok for me.

Thanks

Valère

Go Back to forum