• Register
  • Help

Topic: So how cpu intensive will Omni actually be?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy So how cpu intensive will Omni actually be?

According to Diego from Spectrasonics:

Omnishpere will be fairly CPU intensive. We are talking about high-resolution samples being subjected to several types of powerful synthesis simultaniously.

Just posted this on a previous thread, but think it deserves it's own, given the IntelMac debacle.

CPU Intensive????!!! So what happens if we just want to use it as our Trilogy/Atmosphere Intel update? I'm really hoping you can run a no whistles and bells low cpu version, or us IntelMac users have really been left out to dry!

Yours in hope,

Jim
    -----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Re: So how cpu intensive will Omni actually be?

And there's the rub...

Those that invested in Atmosphere and Trilogy and had them working nicely on there modest DAW will now be forced to buy new hardware to run the "fix". Yet it seems that upgrading hardware has been the curse for many a Spectrasonic customer.
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Wait, how will Omnisphere force people who have Atmosphere and Trilogy currently running fine to buy new hardware? It's the other way around. The reason people need the "fix" in the first place is because they bought new hardware.
    Tim

Duh Oh I wish I'd thought of that.

Not a very helpful response. Upgrading of machines was a necessity.
    -----------------
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Greetings,

Diego Stocco from Spectrasonics here.

I'd like to clarify this point about the Omnisphere CPU usage, because there seems to be some misunderstanding and wrong conclusions.

If you want to use Omnisphere in exactly the same way as Atmosphere, the CPU load is comparable to Atmosphere.

If you use multiple parts, adding FX, the new advanced synthesis features, lot of modulations, etc. - then of course the CPU load will increase.

A good reference is that it's the same “scalable CPU” concept as Stylus RMX: if you're using all 8 parts in RMX, with lots of edit groups and FX, then the CPU usage in RMX will be higher than a single part playing a groove.

I hope that’s a useful comparison to know what to expect. Official System Recommendations will be provided closer to the release.

Cheers,

Diego

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoS View Post
    Greetings,
    Diego Stocco from Spectrasonics here(...)
    Hello Diego,
    great to have you here finally, I hope you will visit NS often!

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful, at least for me.

And BIG BIG BIG congratulations for the ever incredible work you do!

BTW, I'm happy that I visited your previous website and managed to download your demos, as I really liked them! The new ones are great too of course but back then, you for example posted also a demo of your radio jingles, which were sooo cool!
    Again, congrats and keep it up!

Cheers,
    Henry
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

Any specifics on the minimum hardware/memory that will make it possible to run it smoothly while running multiple parts, adding FX ect on pc?
    I can't wait for this to come out

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoS View Post
    Greetings,

Diego Stocco from Spectrasonics here.

I'd like to clarify this point about the Omnisphere CPU usage, because there seems to be some misunderstanding and wrong conclusions.

If you want to use Omnisphere in exactly the same way as Atmosphere, the CPU load is comparable to Atmosphere.
    Thanks Diego, that's very much appreciated!

Keep up the good work @ Spectrasonics !

Cheers,

Jim
    -----------------
    9 Gig RAM

Go Back to forum