• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT - Speaker advice needed

Share/Bookmark

OT - Speaker advice needed

For a number of years I have been using a set of Bose Acoustimass III speakers (8" sub and 2 small satellites - out of production for a number of years now) in my setup, powered by an Alesis RA-100 amplifier. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade to a set of "real" studio monitors. I've found what looks like a good price on a set of Behringer B2031A Truth Active Monitors for $300. Since I know next to nothing about speakers I would appreciate some advice. Are these good speakers for the money? Can I do better for the same money? Should I stay with the Bose? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: OT - Speaker advice needed

no idea, but i'd like the answer also.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I'm really not the guy to give advice, but so it happens that my new monitors (never had monitors before) came in on Friday. I did a huge research before buying them...

For $300 I don't think you can find anything better or worst. In all truth at this price these are "beginners" monitors.

The main thing you want is to look at what music you play and compose. If you do dance music (for example), you should have something to boost the bass considerably, to match the clubs where your music will be played. If you play classical/film music then you probably need a flat response. Couldn't find any specs on that really from the website.

The range is 50 Hz to 21 KHz, which is not half as bad really. 50 Hz could be lower in all truth and you might be missing a little more... bass (which could result in you adding bass in order to compensate and have booming effects in your tracks in other systems). The other thing is that there is no -3 db or -10 db or something next to the range. It could be that the 50 Hz are -7 db, which means that it is considerably weak. A bit hazy there, but don't think any monitor of that money will give more details really... :-/

I've heard, not crosschecked though, just went with the advice, that active monitors (no external amps) mean a bit of trouble if broken, and the power amps are near the magnets which is not the best thing really.

Lastly, when you buy something you usually do so for upgrade reasons, so it sounds a very little bizzare to go again for low-medium quality monitors. Why not wait to get a.... $1000 and go for some good monitors to last you many years? (personal opinion of course)

If your local store will let you, ask to borrow the ones you're interested in for a few days so you can try them in your typical listening environment. Listen to a well recorded CD throught them - if you like what you hear, go ahead and purchase.

Rob

I have a pair of Genelecs (1029a) and the matched (7050a) subwoofer, which were reccommended by a film soundman. I use them for my DAW and digital video editing. I've been very happy with them. I believe both have since been replaced by newer models, but I like them so much I don't feel a compelling need to replace them.

This is high end equipment. Take a look at the specs on their web site. They're very impressive. But, if you can hear them at a dealership, they're even more so.

If cost is an issue, JBL makes a bigger line with more low end models. I have always liked their speakers. And a lot of soundmen swear by them.

Open your wallet. Look at you credit balance. If you really need them now, buy what Robh told you. At the other hand, wait until this whole financial recession has gone and do another search on the net, magazines, technical forums, specialized shops. Take with you 3 types of music:

1. Jazz, with piano!! (when the piano doesn't sound right, you know!)
    2. Classical music, Baroque (Händel, Bach, Pachelbel)
    3. Pop music/Jazz-Pop with female vocals

Maybe a 4th: a recording of a symphony of Widor (organ).

Or, and they are still around, some speaker tests CD's.
    Please spend several hours to get the feeling.

Raymond

Nikolas -

I understand what you are saying and why your advice is solid. However, one thing I must also consider is my age and how much longer I will be able to satisfy my creative juices. I'm nor sure how much I would really need top of the line speakers. I'm just, right now, looking for ways to improve what I am doing and I feel that my current setup (Alesis RA-100 amp with Bose AcoustimassIII speaker system) is a hindrance rather than a help. Maybe I am wrong and should just let well enough alone and see where it takes me. I'm not in a hurry to rush right out and get something - if I do make a purchase I want it to be an informed choice. Thanks for your input.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

So, keeping in mind the advice received so far and taking a closer look at my situation, here is the direction I'm leaning:

Maybe I should keep the RA-100 amplifier and add a set of passive near-field monitors and retire the Bose speakers. I'm looking at either the Alesis Monitor One Mk II passive monitors or the Behringer 2031 passive monitors. The Behringer has an 8.5" main speaker while the Alesis has a 6.5" main speaker. The Behringer is $40 less expensive but I'm thinking the Alesis will match up better with my amp. My thinking is that these speakers will give me a more true picture of my sound than the Bose (which is geared more towards home entertainment sound.)

Comments?
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Post Re: OT - Speaker advice needed

Hello Jaybee,
    Personally, I wouldn't touch those Behringer Truth monitors if they paid me. I get the budget thing, so the question is do you spend what you have now or save some extra $$ for something that will be a worthwhile purchase?

If I were you I would save some extra money and get the worthwhile purchase. The basic rule I would follow is anything less than $250 a monitor is not going to be worth spending money on. I say this trying not to bump that number up by a few hundred dollars as I am trying to keep your budget in mind.

Some suggestions:
    Event ALP 5 are a respectable, amplified pair of speakers for those on a budget.

The Event Tuned 8XL is not something I am familiar with as they are new, but I have read one or two good comments about them.

The Yamaha HS80M spearkers are the NS10 replacements and I've seen favorable reviews for them.

If you can get your hands on a pair of used Event 20/20 monitors you would have a great set for a good price.

If you want to go hog wild, the Adam A7 is a *terrific* set for $999. They would be a long term solution for you and they sound very nice.

I know these are all at least a bit out of the budget, but that is where gear heads live, right? As suggested before, get to a place where you can hear before you buy then make your decision. Quality is better than immediate gratification.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin -

I understand what you are saying and why and I will keep that in mind.

Honest, I will.

But, I do have a question that no one has answered for me yet (at least, I don't think so.) I seem to be being steered away from using my present amp and adding speakers to it and towards active monitors. Why is that the better way to go?
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Go Back to forum