• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Warehouse Serenade

Share/Bookmark

Warehouse Serenade

Not long after my divorce, I was homeless. I lived on the road in Hotel rooms during the week, but on weekends I lived in the company warehouse. I had a bathroom, but no heat, or much else in the way of comforts. But the boss kept his Baby Grand Piano there and I played it constantly on the weekends, (after drinking a little antifreeze).

I used to play this on the piano in hopes of impressing my lady friends enough that even despite the cold, they would find a need to disrobe.

Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. But when it worked, it worked very well indeed.

I should add that that year was one of the happiest in my life. I had a blast living there.

I added a Flute, Clarinet and a Cello to the piano to make this into a quartet. and it is all GPO.

Here it is

Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

I am not happy with the ending as is nor with the Cello in the second half, so any and all suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated.\

I thought I might add here that today I started my Senior Year of college. It has only taken me 25 years since I started college to get to this point and I will graduate next fall.

Ron

Re: Warehouse Serenade

Hi Ron,

First, let me congratulate you on the start of your senior year! It's never too late to start, OR finish! Good for you, man!

As for this piece... this was full of great-sounding stuff, Ron. Somewhere between Middle and Near East sounds through most of the first half, then almost a funk-rock feel to the piano for just a bit a little past halfway. Then back to some very effective delicate textures (like the woodwinds below that high piano ostinato) bringing back that Eastern flavor to it.

As for the cello... which one were you using? Was it from GPO or Gofriller? The only minor suggestion I may offer would be to vary the intensity, width and entrance points of the vibrato (e.g. on some notes, begin it immediately like you have, on others delay it a bit to let the pitch settle into the ear first; just imagine you're the one playing the cello, and imagine where you would naturally place such things). Some very nice melodic work with it, though!

I'll play this tonight for my wife and see if it has the same "warehouse effect" on her!

Another impressive piece, Ron! Thanks!

Danny

Danny

Thank you for the congrats. I feel like I am finally getting close to graduating.

The Cello is from GPO. I can't afford the Grof yet, although I would love to use it.

That makes sense with the Vibrato, and I am glad you suggested it as I would not have thought of that on my own.

I know that this is not my best piece, but it has been one of my more productive pieces due to the "Warehouse Effect." That gave me a great chuckle, and after the first day of school, I needed it. Thank you!!

Ron

Ron,

The opening section is quite poignant - at least that is how it came across to me. It's a nice combination of sounds. The active section is definitely a contrast - as with some of your other keyboard writing, the playability may be on question; but that's the beauty of GPO: the pianist can handle almost anything you throw its way! Liked to return to the opening material, as I found that to be very attractive. I enjoyed this a lot.

Good luck with the home stretch - you are to be commended for going back and getting your degree. It's not easy in the best of circumstances, but after you have been out of the academic environment, it is very hard to climb back in. And you have stayed with it. No simple thing. Hope the last two semester treat you well.

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ron

I am glad you liked it.

I was 23 and fresh out of the Navy when I first went to school for Engineering. I went for 3 years while working full time and just lost my energy, and I couldn't see myself working in an office, (I still don't). In those 3 years I got about 50 credits in Math and Science and used a few of those in my current major of Mathematics, Secondary Education. My new major didn't like a lot of my Math courses so I have been back in school now for 2 years, full time. I am starting my internship this semester and in the fall will be doing nothing but my student teaching, which means this semester is the end of class work for me (for now).

I think you are a teacher, right? Where do you teach and what grade and subject?

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Ron

I enjoyed listening to this one. You did some different things here and that's always refreshing. The women do like musicians don't they.

Kurt Cobain lived under the Aberdeen bridge but I'm not sure if that is where he met Cortney Love. She looks like it.

I tried going back to school when I was forty-two but the russian studies course went from looking like a promising field for business in 1992 to a pretty scary reality so I bailed out. It went from bad to worse.

Phil

Ron:
    It is interesting that we all hear the same things but in such a different way. I love the style of your piece, which I call "wrong note consonance." There is always one little note(s) in there muddying the waters, which makes it so much more intriguing and fun to hear. I didn't see a warehouse, rather I was trapped in the Addams Family attic, feeling anxious, but not really wanting to escape.
    Good luck on the academic pursuit. The years I spent on a college campus kept me current and open to new ideas. It's a win-win situation. I applaud your tenacity.

sos

Good morning, Ron

You're a man of many moods, and they are always very interesting moods to travel through via your music.

I think this is the most contemplative piece you've posted. A somewhat melancholy improvisation on the descending chord progression that lives in the foundation of this.

Quite a story you posted with this piece. What I'm sitting here and appreciating the most is the combined effect of your personal reminiscences along with the music which has emerged from those memories.

You've had some good constructive reaction/advice on this thread--I want to add that I liked the ending, it seemed very fitting.

Intriguing sounds from you Rolifer - you seem to have a specialty at always managing to be intriguing.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed listening to this one. You did some different things here and that's always refreshing. The women do like musicians don't they.

Kurt Cobain lived under the Aberdeen bridge but I'm not sure if that is where he met Cortney Love. She looks like it.

I tried going back to school when I was forty-two but the russian studies course went from looking like a promising field for business in 1992 to a pretty scary reality so I bailed out. It went from bad to worse.

Phil
    Phil

I have known that there is something wrong with me ever since I realized that I find Courtney Love to be an attractive female. I was going to say woman, but that would offend woman in general and I'm not sure that Love is even the same species as the rest of us.

Thanks for the listen

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Ron:
    It is interesting that we all hear the same things but in such a different way. I love the style of your piece, which I call "wrong note consonance." There is always one little note(s) in there muddying the waters, which makes it so much more intriguing and fun to hear. I didn't see a warehouse, rather I was trapped in the Addams Family attic, feeling anxious, but not really wanting to escape.
    Good luck on the academic pursuit. The years I spent on a college campus kept me current and open to new ideas. It's a win-win situation. I applaud your tenacity.

sos
    $o$

I completely understand "wrong note consonance." A simple triad can get boring, but throw in 1 note that is off a little and things start to get interesting. Until I read that, I didn't quite realize that that is what I like about this style of music. But then, that is why you are the teacher and I am still a student.

BTW I always loved the Addams Family.

Thanks for the listen

Randy

Each time I post a piece, I know that I will learn something. I better understand what I am doing and pick up some great tips along the way.

That very simple descending chord progression has been something I have been playing with since I first started playing piano and shows up in a lot of music I compose. It varies from piece to piece in structure and tempo, but always seems to creep into my music in a manner that fits my mood. Very Perceptive there Randy.

What I don't like about the ending is that I think I changed the flow or the rhythm of the piece at the last moment. Maybe not.

Thanks guys

Ron

Ron,

To me this piece creates a complex mix of moods: quiet but not peaceful, more restless with a hint of dissatisfaction, and cold but a cold being resisted.

I thought the ending was fine. Overall I would say it is a very successful composition with some intriguing textures.

Congratulations on going back to school and I hope this last year goes well.

Herb

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast