• Register
  • Help

Topic: Creating Samples

Creating Samples

I am currently running Creamware Pulsar2/Luna 2496. I also have an Alesis hd24. I am thinking of buying GS192 ( I am still a little confused by what all it does as it says studio in the name and I thought it was basically a sampler).

I would like to create some samples of some ethnic instruments and wonder if it is something I can figure out or if there are any books, etc. that might help me. I am really not interested in groove stuff as I still compose the old fashioned way.... one note at a time!

Re: Creating Samples

hi Tressero
    The main purpose of Gigastudio is to configure and play samples. It will play
    more and larger samples at one time than
    ANY other avail. sampler. Its posible to
    play up to 160 voices at once and it will hold, depending on the amount of memory of
    your PC, a very large number of samples at one time( each sample takes up about 64k of memory )
    I think I can load about 8000 samples on my
    machine, each of which can be of indefinite
    lenght ( well, not indefinite, but very very long ).

If you want to record samples of an instrument you usually use a different program like Soundforge or Wavelab to that
    part.Trimming and maybe making sample loops
    is also done with these programs.

When you have created your set of samples, this is when the Gigastudio editor comes into play. Here you put all your samples
    together to create an instrument, assigning different samples to each midinote or region, setting up layers with different velocity etc. Its not that difficult - the
    manual for Gigastudio will se you through and
    where it fails to do so there\'s always this

Hope this clears things up a bit - otherwise
    just ask.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I guess that I should record into the hd24 or direct using SoundForge or something equivalant.
    My question then is ( and I am a complete moron when it comes to sampling, I admit it I am a guitar player), what is the best procedure for recording different velocitys and sounds, just alternate takes and then GS does the rest with its editor?

Yep, that\'s basically it. Record all the different effects you want at the varying \"velocities\" you want to get you the variety of soft to loud color you\'re looking for and also dimension switching etc. The better the planning and execution of your recordings the better your end results can be. Giga\'s editor can help you map everything but it\'s up to you to determine what gets put into each dimension. If you are just getting into Giga I would suggest buying a library with features similar to what you want to create and looking at it in the editor to see how it\'s done. There\'s nothing like playing with a finished product and tweaking it (keeping the original files handy!) to see which editor features are employed and how things are structured. It will answer many questions and probably raise some. It\'s an adventure!

Hey Tressero,

Gigastudio\'s editor wizard is an amazing help when you want to take lots of samples and map them to the keyboard.

First, make sure you get all your recordings consistent, always keeping in mind that samples you may have recorded hours apart will be played moments after each other in your final instrument. It\'d be a good idea to set up some way to check yourself as you go. You don\'t want to do 400 samples, only to find that your timbre or embrouchure varies too much from note to note.

Second, you\'ll make your life much easier by putting particular types of samples in their own folders - a folder for all the ppp samples which are staccato, another for the ppp samples which are legato etc. When you go to map the samples, you\'ll end up simply telling Giga - use this folder for the ppp samples, this one is for mp samples, etc.,

Third, put the note number of the sample in the name. Gigastudio can use note numbers to map samples to the correct keys automatically.

When you get to using the wizard, details like this will make actually mapping the samples perhaps the easiest part of the job!

Go Back to forum