• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Nocturne for Alto Flute, Harp and Viola - revised

Share/Bookmark

Nocturne for Alto Flute, Harp and Viola - revised

Well....

Now that I have the new libraries, I'm updated to KP2 and I've begun to try things in a DAW in addition to Finale 2008, I'm going back and revising many of my old works.

Taking a cue from a recent post, I've pitch-shifted the Strad down a 4th to provide this rendition - IMHO it doesn't sound to bad - actually a pitch-shifted Strad seems to sound better than the solo viola in GPO. Go figure. Also, (as I promised earlier) this cut is produced with probably the most intimate and dry acoustic that I've ever used... I hope all you living-room acoustic lovers will like it... I still prefer at least a small concert hall sound, but what the heck - this ain't so bad once you get used to it.

This also marks my debut of rendering each instrument separately, then further tweaking the WAVs multi-track style in a DAW... I must say it was nothing short of a royal PAIN, but I love the results.

This render is fondly dedicated to our most vehement living-room acoustic aficionado and beloved moderator rbowser

http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/N...pAltoFlVla.mp3

Enjoy!

Jonathan

Re: Nocturne for Alto Flute, Harp and Viola - revised

This was great, it's already a piece I was very much in love with, and with the Strad playing thw viola part, it was that much more warm and realistic.

You inspired me to try the same thing with my viola sonata. I'll let you know how that goes once I'm finsihed tweaking it.

And again, I really really love this peice.

Hey, front row seats and for the same price!

This is really an enchanting piece. I think it was worth the effort.

The pitch shift worked pretty well.

I'm looking forward to the new Aria string library. I hope it's quicker and easier to get the sound you want. That would be really helpful for me.

Again, great job on it.

Phil

Jonathon,

It may have been a lot of work - a pain, as you say - but it really showed how such work pays off. This is a wonderful rendering. I think, sometimes, that the rendering is really like learning to play what we have written; and it takes that much time.

Rendering aside, this piece is quite lovely. Effective use of the instruments, nice solo moments, and a good sense of pace. Really enjoyed this!

Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

wow....

I'm always glad to get nice comments on my compositions (aren't we all?) but to hear it from someone like Michel (who has likely forgotten more about music than I'll ever know!) is a treat.

I have to confess that after listening to this piece a number of times while re-doing it, I think I detected the influence of Rodrigo (and maybe Debussy) in a couple of spots... weird.

I am actually very pleased with my "quasi-viola" experiment... I'd be willing to try a String 4tet rendering using this method - I think it works pretty well.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed it (again and still), Michel, and I'll look forward to hearing your Viola Sonata rendered this way.

Finally, this piece would have NEVER been written were it not for our esteemed Mr. G.... it came about because I was inspired to experiment with my new tools (GPO) a couple of years ago. I wonder how much music has been written due to this fact... this (along with the thriving community here on the Forum) has got to be Gary's proudest legacy, IMHO.

Peace,

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    This was great, it's already a piece I was very much in love with, and with the Strad playing the viola part, it was that much more warm and realistic.

You inspired me to try the same thing with my viola sonata. I'll let you know how that goes once I'm finished tweaking it.

And again, I really really love this peice.

Hello, Jonathan - It's Always a pleasure to see you here in The Listening Room with more music for us to hear.

--Ah what a satisfying piece this is. It would be well suited for a sensuous interpretive dance.

Wonderful results you've gotten with your pitch shifted Violin standing in for the Viola. It sounds fine!---And I wonder what shifter you used for that--I know I don't have one that would preserve the sound so well. You must have an expensive utility like Melodyne?

ANd now--just to drive you crazy: I Do much appreciate having a front row seat for one of your pieces for a change. I wouldn't mind being in larger venue, I just prefer to be in the expensive seats instead of stuck in the 3rd balcony.

Sooo it's not as if I'm truly a "...living-room acoustic aficionado..." hehe--I just feel music is usually best served without huge waves of reflected sound. A larger venue doesn't automatically mean more consciously perceived reverb. When the Dry/Wet ratio is kept approximately at 80% to 20%, then all is well for me.

Beautiful work--thanks giwro_jon.

Randy B.

Hello Phil,

Glad you liked the piece... I've enjoyed tweaking it to its current state.

I, too, am hoping that the new string library in Aria will exceed the abilities of the (already fabulous) Strad and Gofriller, both in ease of use and realism. I'm sure Gary will (in his usual fair and generous way) give a break to those who have already purchased the first two NI player instruments in anticipation of a full string 4tet.

Until that time, however, the pitch shif does just fine, thank you!

Peace,

- Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hey, front row seats and for the same price!

This is really an enchanting piece. I think it was worth the effort.

The pitch shift worked pretty well.

I'm looking forward to the new Aria string library. I hope it's quicker and easier to get the sound you want. That would be really helpful for me.

Again, great job on it.

Phil

Jonathan:

Very interesting work and really great Harp work.
    I, too, was fascinated by your pitch-shifting of the
    Stradivari, but it sounded OK to me.

As others have pointed out, the rendering is very
    "lifelike."

Great work, Jonathan.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Glad you enjoyed it, Ron!

you said "...rendering is really like learning to play what we have written"

I couldn't agree more!

I've been doing organ renderings for YEARS now (since 1999) and I soon found that in order to make something sound realistic, I had to think like I would if I were actually PLAYING the music on the organ... for example, a particular passage might call for a leap from one chord to another, far enough apart that there is no chance for legato by a real human player. In order to realistically render, I must take that fact into account. That is why a large part of making a believable render in ANY genre is knowing the instrument well. I'm blessed to have taken violin and french horn as a kid, so I understand brass and strings... later in life I tried flute, so I also have some practical experience with winds. If you can't have experiences like this, you need to learn from a real player... ask questions, WATCH and LISTEN (at the same time) and ask MORE questions. Have a real performer play parts of your work and see how that differs from your rendering...

yeesh. I just started out to say thanks...

Thus endeth the sermon...

- J

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Jonathon,

It may have been a lot of work - a pain, as you say - but it really showed how such work pays off. This is a wonderful rendering. I think, sometimes, that the rendering is really like learning to play what we have written; and it takes that much time.

Rendering aside, this piece is quite lovely. Effective use of the instruments, nice solo moments, and a good sense of pace. Really enjoyed this!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Hi Randy!

Glad you enjoyed this (and took my gentle poking fun in the spirit it was given )

After a few listens, I wondered if this piece was really representative of my compositional voice - I've decided that although it is definitely different than what I usually write, it still has a number of things that point to my style...

As for the pitch shift.... you'll probably be shocked, but I merely used the pitch shifter in the free Audacity... I was amazed at how well it came out... go figure.

<chuckle>

I'll try your 80/20 mix sometime - might be interesting,

Thanks again for stopping by,

- J

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Jonathan - It's Always a pleasure to see you here in The Listening Room with more music for us to hear.

--Ah what a satisfying piece this is. It would be well suited for a sensuous interpretive dance.

Wonderful results you've gotten with your pitch shifted Violin standing in for the Viola. It sounds fine!---And I wonder what shifter you used for that--I know I don't have one that would preserve the sound so well. You must have an expensive utility like Melodyne?

ANd now--just to drive you crazy: I Do much appreciate having a front row seat for one of your pieces for a change. I wouldn't mind being in larger venue, I just prefer to be in the expensive seats instead of stuck in the 3rd balcony.

Sooo it's not as if I'm truly a "...living-room acoustic aficionado..." hehe--I just feel music is usually best served without huge waves of reflected sound. A larger venue doesn't automatically mean more consciously perceived reverb. When the Dry/Wet ratio is kept approximately at 80% to 20%, then all is well for me.

Beautiful work--thanks giwro_jon.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast