• Register
  • Help

Topic: Length Controller - CC#21 useage and defaults

Share/Bookmark

Length Controller - CC#21 useage and defaults

Hi.

I'm trying to overcome an irritating problem with playback.

The situation is when there are notes in quick succession, any sudden increase in a the volume of a note sometimes actually catches the tail end of the preceding note. The effect is that you get a sharp increase in volume or the incorrect note.

This happens with a number of instruments, but is most noticeavle with the strings.

Controller CC#68 is set to zero on the offending preceding note (I'm using the notation set) and moving the sharp increase in volume to further along into the subsequent note does not really work, unless the increase is set quite some distance into the note (in which case I get the effect of the note starting low then abruptly rising in volume. If the note is also really short, the note is actually over before the volume takes effect)

So, I need to explore CC#21.

According to the manual, "Most instruments load with this controller set to a moderate level by default"

What is that level? I would like to be able to set this level to a really low level for a short period, then re-set back to default when I'm able.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Re: Length Controller - CC#21 useage and defaults

Hi, Daz

cc21, Length Control is indeed what you need to use for what you're describing. It's the only way to get some fast passages to sound right.

I'm figuring that you must be using a notation program, since all that sort of MIDI control is straight forward in a DAW, like Sonar.

The Length control is visible when you load up an instrument - You asked what the default is - it's displayed on that Length knob in Kontact, on the loaded instrument's GUI.

Controlling it is just a matter of assigning a controller, such as a wheel, to cc21, and recording the data as part of the sequence, then going back to the longer length again. Either that, or going into a MIDI editor and drawing in the data.

If you use Finale, my understanding is that you Can access and edit MIDI information like that, and the editing process is pretty much the same.

Randy B.

Daz,

If I want a smooth legato in Finale I mostly use CC#21, especially for strings. I have made unprintable expressions for the purpose and set them to 127. Often I assign it from the beginning and doesn´t undo it. Instead I have lots of articulations that change the attack or change the patch. As you mention, using sustain CC#64 will give you problems with the volume going up and and down. This way you can get a moore consitent volume. I guess this is a typical problem for notation programs and GPO.

Björn

Hi Randy, thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser
    cc21, Length Control is indeed what you need to use for what you're describing. It's the only way to get some fast passages to sound right.
    Thought so. It's only in a couple of spots that I need to do this

I'm figuring that you must be using a notation program, since all that sort of MIDI control is straight forward in a DAW, like Sonar.
    Well, I used Finale to get the work into the computer. I'm now going to use a DAW (MULAB) to fine tune the file. It's a learning curve

The Length control is visible when you load up an instrument - You asked what the default is - it's displayed on that Length knob in Kontact, on the loaded instrument's GUI.
    D'oh. That make me feel silly. Read the manual, looked everywhere in the continuous data to see if CC#21 was set anywhere but did not actually look at the player.

Controlling it is just a matter of assigning a controller, such as a wheel, to cc21, and recording the data as part of the sequence, then going back to the longer length again. Either that, or going into a MIDI editor and drawing in the data.
    I'll be using the direct draw method. Don't have a control surface to play with

If you use Finale, my understanding is that you Can access and edit MIDI information like that, and the editing process is pretty much the same.
    Unfortunately, the edit MIDI tools that come with Finale a more painful to use than not. They will do the job, but it's like trying to use a pair of hedge clippers to cut a piece of tirrue paper into the shape of a swan. Doable, but difficult and the end result may not be pretty unless you're *really* good.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrom
    Daz,

If I want a smooth legato in Finale I mostly use CC#21, especially for strings. I have made unprintable expressions for the purpose and set them to 127. Often I assign it from the beginning and doesn´t undo it. Instead I have lots of articulations that change the attack or change the patch. As you mention, using sustain CC#64 will give you problems with the volume going up and and down. This way you can get a moore consitent volume. I guess this is a typical problem for notation programs and GPO.

Björn
    Hi Bjorn

I also though of using a different patch. In this case, the short bows patch. I'm not certain if it will be as effective though.

Thanks for you input.

Cheers...

Go Back to forum