• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale HP, Solo String Keyswitch and unwanted behavior

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Finale HP, Solo String Keyswitch and unwanted behavior

Hi,
    I am not a newbie to GPO, Finale or computers in general. That is probably what got me into the trouble i am in. I have Finale 2008 with all the new updates, which are registered and generally work great.
    My issue is that I am writing a string quartet, and the keyswitch solo strings are doing things I don't want, and I am having trouble resetting my score after it gets messed up.

Here is an example:
    My Viola has a trill smart shape over a few quarter notes and eighth notes. The tempo is at 60 bps. Right after these simple trills, I have a measure of quarter notes and some dynamic markings like mf and a cresc hairpin. The issue is that the viola still trills these notes. They are in a different measure and the trill shape doesn't extend over any of them. Then the measure after that, in the second beat, the viola stops doing it. I tried deleteing the measure, adding new notes, removing the dynamics. Still nothing. Then I added a new expression that is set to hp off, and the trill went away, but so did any interesting dynamic ideas. When I turn HP back on for that measure, the trill thing happens again.
    please advise. I have a BIG EXPENSIVE deadline, and this ain't funny!
    thanks,
    Georg

Re: Finale HP, Solo String Keyswitch and unwanted behavior

Hi Georg

1) What shape are you using for the trill? Is it the wavey line? If so, try using the tr expression instead.
    2) If that does not work/suit, use a hidden 'arco' expression when the trill is supposed to end, rather than turning HP off all together.

If you're still having problems, try posting a link to the file (or an excerpt) either here or at the Finale forums for someone to have a look at it.

Cheers...

Try nudging the end of the last trill smart shape a bit to the left. It might be that it covers the beginning of the next note, even if you think it doesn't. HP has its own unfathomable ways.

Actually, the trill smart shape, with the wavy line extension, is only appropriate for several notes tied together. If the trill only applies to single notes, the wavy line is unnecessary and is considered incorrect. For single, untied notes, the articulation trill is a better choice. (Whether it affects playback differently is something I can't answer right now.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks for all the replies
    To darrob, Nickie and danpowers:
    Yes, I am using the wavy line, regardless of whether it is for one note or more than one. I am doing it for both. I replaced them all with the "expression version" . The result is that the new trill doesn't last past the measure, even when it is slurred across the bar line. Then again, sometimes, it is still playing the trill in the next measure when the note ISN'T tied. It seems to have had SOME effect, but not completely good. IT still seems to be happening rendomly.
    You guys have given me more to think about, but unfortunately, the problem still exists. I tried it several times, and it seems a bit random. In other words, sometimes it does this behavior, sometimes it doesn't..
    As for HIDDEN ARCO..how do you hide it, and still have HP 'see' it in order to trigger keyswitches? Does this mean setting the expression to something other than "none"?

A hidden expression (i.e., arco) is found in the same place you would make an expression italic or bold. You'll see a choice there "hidden". This will not print but HP will still see it.

Jeff

Thanks so much for the answer.

Hidden expression: CTRL+SHIFT+H for short.

Go Back to forum