• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Cascavello" (???)GJBB Jazz Samba

Share/Bookmark

"Cascavello" (???)GJBB Jazz Samba

http://www.box.net/shared/0n6c8r5s0w

Cascavello or Cascavelo (Jazz Samba)
    I first heard this tune being played by a 6 piece combo in Boston, 1974. I found it on an Art Farmer album ca. 1964. I'm not sure if the name is correct or who composed it but the name Horst Mulbradt (sp?) has come up.
    Anyway, I figured I would like to score it for a big band. I don't mean to monopolize the posting but I'm very excited with the results I'm starting to get, thanks to the suggestions many of you have given me as to the wet-dry issue, reverb and and a new one to me, randomizing.
    Again I left out a big "solos" section because of the time element and I still prefer live soloists.

sos

Re: "Cascavello" (???)GJBB Jazz Samba

A definite winner, Steve.

You are, as you say, really "getting it down." I love the arrangement
    and your instrumentation.

The only drawback I had while listening was that it wasn't loud
    enough in the beginning. Mid-way through, things perked up.

Great work, Steve. It "swings."

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jack:
    Thank you for listening. I heard what you were referring to and it is still a "puzzlement" to me. I set the dynamics at what seem to be overall correct but I end up getting the two different levels. Since I am using the Notation Instruments and making an aiff to be then converted to an mp3, I cannot change dynamics as I record, or can I? If you know how to do this, I would sure appreciate any help you can give.

Steve

Steve:

I'm not a regular user of Finale 2008, but I have learned
    enough to use it.

Since the first half of the recording is softer than the last
    half (in my listening opinion), I would think you would want
    to check instrument levels and dynamics first to see if they
    are similar to ones assigned to the same instruments in the
    second half. When everything is balanced, you can raise then
    raise the output of your mixer for a louder playback sound.

Secondly, to raise the sound of an instrument, you can go
    to the Kontakt Player2 and select "OUTPUT." When you do this,
    a set of faders shows up on the screen. Try raising the one
    labelled, "st. 1." I think you will hear a louder sound from that
    instrument.

This is not a recommended way of boosting sound as the dynamic
    "expressions" should be enough, but as a last resort, you can
    raise the level of sound this way. Nothing hurt, just not the
    regular way folks do it.

This may help.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

It sounds real good but it does need some editing.

I'll send you a note.

Phil

Good morning, Sos!

OH Yeah - The over all effect of this recording is Much better than last time. The ambience is sounding natural. NOw I'm right there in the night club, sipping my Rob Roy (favorite cocktail) and enjoying the band--They're Hot tonight!

This just Has to sound better to you also. Have you compared this with the overly reverbed earlier piece? One is in Outer Space, this one isn't.

Great recording also, with the elegant charts we eagerly look forward to from you.

You say you "still prefer" live solos - Well, sure--don't we all? But here we are working in the "virtual band/orchestra" world, and the results you're getting are so great, I feel you could go ahead and have fun working up the more complicated solos - I know you could make them as musical and great sounding as you are doing with the full band.

Phil said he was sending you some technical notes - I wonder if perhaps he's going to address some of the "machine gun" moments. There are passages with repeated notes which are the only unnatural sounding moments of the recording - Those are a matter of randomizing both the attack times more and the velocities.

I'd say pretty darned great work, Sos.

Randy B.

Thanks Randy:
    Your expertise means a lot to me and you have sure gotten me through some rough spots. As I said, randomization is a new wrinkle for me but it makes sense.
    It is interesting that when I first got into computerized arranging, I was looking forward to having the "perfect" playback. NOT!
    I remember from a lecture I heard on "Music Concrete" and was astounded that if you hit a cluster of notes at precisely the same nanosecond (almost humanly impossible) you do not get a grinding dissonance but rather a pure bell tone. So we've come full circle: we now have a jazz font that looks handwritten and randomization to we can make "perfect" sound human. What will they think of next?
    Phil sent me some very useful info that I hope to take advantage of and put into use anon.
    I have another confession to make. As a trombonist/arranger, I never really developed "ad libitum" chops, but I'll sure give it a try. Thanks for the prodding!

Steve

I want to see the look on the lead trumpet player's face when he sees the chart you just gave him . Why not double that part on flute or piccolo?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Paul:
    Your point is well taken. I did double it with picc. in a couple of places but it doesn't come through on the posting. In the past, I was lucky enough to have several lead players that were able to play those high "A's"(most of the time.) It was always written down and marked "opt.8va higher" and you know about the ego of lead trumpet players!
    Apropos to that point, at a Mobile Jazz Festival, Billy Byers gave an arranging clinic in which he stated that when writing high parts for the trumpet section, it was best to not double the high part. One trumpet going for a high note and missing it is "good" theater but when two or more are up there and miss, it's a train wreck. Having dealt with students through my career, I was also leery of doubling "up there" with WW's of any kind due to pitch discrepancy. With pro's, I would have no reservations.
    Thanks for listening and commenting.
    Steve

Another good tip I learned from a lead player is it's easier for them to play up there if the second part is a fourth or fifth below rather than the usual third. They don't have to work so hard because the second player isn't having to work as hard. Everybody is more comfortable and the notes still get heard. I try not to double anything above a written high C, and even then I want to know who the players are going to be.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast