• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Inexpensive Orchestra Sessions?

Share/Bookmark

Inexpensive Orchestra Sessions?

I'm working on a project that wants to record a full orchestra, but is quite limited on funds. Has anyone has experience with the Eastern European Ochestras (ex. Bratislava, Belgrade, Prague) that could give me their thoughts on their experience?

The film is going to have probably 50-60 minutes of music. I believe the project budget is probably around $15K, but they would probably rather only spend around 10K if possible. I am willing to chip in some of my own cash if I'm sure it will make a big difference (aka if getting a really good recording is going to cost $5 or $10K more)

Thoughts? Ideas? I would prefer NOT to have some sort of hybrid live/sampled score if at all possible, but I am not against sweetening the recording with samples afterwords to "touch-up" things.

Re: Inexpensive Orchestra Sessions?

i have thought about that same thing for my next project.

just don't go to Las Vegas.......

I may be wrong, but my guess is that 15k would be a bit short for a live orchestra recording.

Think of the musicians, conductor, engineers not to mention the equipment and hall rental, and then the mixing mastering process.

I'd be interested to know what it would cost though.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

You might want to try doing a forum search. It seems that there were at least a couple of threads from long ago that dealt with costs/experiences of hiring an Eastern European orchestra.

http://orchestra.net/booking.html?

Haven't used it myself, but it looks like an interesting concept...

The Real Thing by Gary Garritan, a couple of years old article but maybe still worth a read.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

I do find that, based to what I've read and seen and not experienced, the 15$k is short. For 60 minutes of music that is... And to be honest it does make sense: 60 minutes of music could very well mean a full month of recording sessions. 5 minutes per day or so, if the orchestra is brilliant. That would mean that you would have to give a monthly payment to the whole orchestra, as a minimum. 50 members of the orchestra x 1 monthly paymenet ($1000?) = 50,000 all together.

I would dare to suggest that you go for your best samples + live players to give the live feeling. It works amazingly well in some cases...

rothermusic.de

No real experience as such but I did inquire at the Czech Film Orchestra and they were exceptionally helpful and gave me a lot of details on what they can do (including orchestrating and arranging from MIDI files, mixing, producing, etc) and a clear pricing model.

If nothing else it allows you to gather more accurate information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_H View Post
    I'm working on a project that wants to record a full orchestra, but is quite limited on funds. Has anyone has experience with the Eastern European Ochestras (ex. Bratislava, Belgrade, Prague) that could give me their thoughts on their experience?

The film is going to have probably 50-60 minutes of music. I believe the project budget is probably around $15K, but they would probably rather only spend around 10K if possible. I am willing to chip in some of my own cash if I'm sure it will make a big difference (aka if getting a really good recording is going to cost $5 or $10K more)

Thoughts? Ideas? I would prefer NOT to have some sort of hybrid live/sampled score if at all possible, but I am not against sweetening the recording with samples afterwords to "touch-up" things.
    I've heard there are some great deals to be found in Las Vegas!!!!!

Go Back to forum