• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Have you "discovered" any composers lately?

Share/Bookmark

Have you "discovered" any composers lately?

What I mean by that is . . . recently I was driving out of town and listening to WFIU (Indiana University - Bloomington) and heard an orchestral piece I hd never heard before.

It turns out it was Gerald Finzi's Grand Fantasia and Toccata, Op.38, for Piano and Orchestra - a wonderful composition - especially the Toccata section. I have a BME and MS in music and never had heard of him. He was a contemporary and acquaintance of Ralph Vaughan Williams. I bought an album of Finzi selections from iTunes and really love his stuff - Romance for String Orchestra, Op. 11, A Severn Rhapsody, Op. 3 and many others.

So that is "my" recent composer "discovery".
    More here: http://www.geraldfinzi.org/

What about you?
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Have you "discovered" any composers lately?

One can hear many interesting things on WFIU.

I had heard about Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji several times over the last few years, but hadn't heard any of his music. So I took the plunge and ordered a CD of the 35-minute piano work "Gulistan." I love it! When I feel brave enough, I may order a CD of his 6 hour piano piece "Opus Clavicembalisticum." But it may take a while before I'm ready for that!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Recently heard Violin Concerto op 26 by Max Bruch. I was unaware of this guy (19th century composer). He is known for this pice and another called the "Scottish Fantasy".

I bought recordings of them from Amazon's mp3 download service, with Rachel Barton Pine as the soloist.

This is hard stuff to play on a violin and really good music.

dave

I have discovered Peter Hope, another british composer.
    I'm especially fond of 'Intermezzo' from his 'Momentum'.

Yudit

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    One can hear many interesting things on WFIU.

I had heard about Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji several times over the last few years, but hadn't heard any of his music. So I took the plunge and ordered a CD of the 35-minute piano work "Gulistan." I love it! When I feel brave enough, I may order a CD of his 6 hour piano piece "Opus Clavicembalisticum." But it may take a while before I'm ready for that!
    Is that Charles Hopkin's recording of Gulistan? He was my piano teacher while I was at university. He used to show me the original manuscripts of Sorabji, which would often be on 6 or 7 staves. His preoccupation was 'transcribing' these scores into more performable reductions and preparing them for recording. He had several more recordings of Sorabji and Alkan in the pipeworks, but sadly I heard he died last year.

When I'm in the car, I make it a point to listen to the classical music station because I'm constantly hearing music I'm not familiar with. It's always, or at least most of the time, something new to me.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

I know you guys are going to laugh at this, but my girlfriend was watching ice skating, and I was in the other room... These skaters always skate to some instrumental music... I heard this one piece and I said, hey that's not bad... And it turned out to be Andre Mathieu... Romantic Rhapsody...

Heres a laugh then - Charles Mingus. Heard of, overlooked, but just rediscovered- by me anyway

Yes, several.

Lutoslawski - Pianoconcerto
    Medtner - Pianoconcertos
    Germaine Tailleferre - Piano pieces
    Mieczyslaw(Moishe) Vainberg (1919-1996) - Piano pieces
    Robijns(1944-) - Pianoconcerto, Piano pieces, Symphonic Poem, etc...
    Bowser - Musicals
    L. Alexander - Joyful styles, all sorts of pieces

Raymond

Arrow Re: Have you "discovered" any composers lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Yes, several.

Bowser - Musicals
    L. Alexander - Joyful styles, all sorts of pieces
    Totally agree!

I have rediscovered William Byrd and believe it or not Shubert. Both have not been on the spin list for a long time and it is good to have them back!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum