• Register
  • Help

Topic: how to assign specific KS in Finale? (Strad)

Share/Bookmark

how to assign specific KS in Finale? (Strad)

Howe do I create an expression/articulation that tells the strad to play in polyphonic mode (KS=D) rather than portamento/solo mode?

There are times where I have double-stopped passages but the Strad won't play them, it thinks I want a heavy portamento because of the "overlap" of two notes.

I see that the low D is the KS for setting the Strad in polyphonic mode (ie: no portamento on overlap), but I can't figure out what to write in either an expression or articulation to tell it to switch to that mode (and back to regular solo/portamento mode after).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: how to assign specific KS in Finale? (Strad)

Take a look at this F07 file. It uses two note attached expressions - Poly and Mono (with no Playback definition) - and two corresponding HP Pref. Techniques definitions to issue KeySwitches, plus an Articulation "P" to soften the attack of the double stops.

Thank-you, that was absolutely perfect.

Now to see if it works on the Gofriller as well.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    Now to see if it works on the Gofriller as well.
    It should since they use the same KeySwitches, but you will have to change the HP Techniques from "violin" to either "cello" or "strings".

I presume that the keyswitches will be a couple of octaves off on the cello, however?

When I manually play the KS, the Gofriiller changes from mono to polyphonic mode, however, I can't get HP to recognize the KS notes.

For the cello, it's C0 and D0 (one octave below the lowest note of the cello). All the KS for the cello (all of those that are pre-made and come with Finale and HP) use that same octave - zero. But soon as I try to make a new HP technique, it just ignores it. I DO have "use this technique" checked.

this is getting stranger by the minute...

the "old" Gofriller (the one that reads as the wrong octave in Finale) recognizes the KS for poly/mono.

However, the updated version (in teh right octave) does NOT recognize the keyswitches.

I've tried redefining it as both the octave up, and the octave below, and still no go. however, like I said, when I PLAY the keyswitches manually, the DO have an effect. Somehoe, either Finale or HP or the updated Gofriller are not recognizing the KS "as sent by HP's technique".

Michel, you are right and my memory played tricks with me. The Gofriller KSes are one octave below the Stradivari KSes, so you need to make two new "cello" (changing "Instr.: Violin" to "Instr.: Cello" is important!) HP Techniques: same as the violin Techniques, only an octave lower. Sorry

Oh, and one more thing: you need to use different expressions (with different names!) for the Strad and the Gofriller. Please redownload the new version of http://www.foenshauge.dk/downloads/F..._poly_demo.MUS and see how I did it. Finale will tell you, that it can't find Kontakt 2. That's because my version of the Gofriller is a beta version; I can't load it in KP2. Just load it as usual and adjust the MIDI channel.

When the cello and violin Techniques have the same names, HP will choose the same Technique (the first on the list, I believe) for both instruments. It doesn't seem to take the Instr. into consideration as it should.

thank-you! that was exactly it.
    the strad and gofriller can now do everything I need of them.

Go Back to forum