• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: For Kathryn (Jazz Disco)

Share/Bookmark

For Kathryn (Jazz Disco)

I wrote this for a friend who will be leaving our music community to move to Baltimore. I enjoyed my time under her baton (I was the pesky trumpet player getting on her nerves.) She provided many opportunities to arrange and compose for her groups. So this is:

For Kathryn

Sorry, this is on esnips for those that can't use that site, sorry.

I used J&BB and GPO for most of the instruments. The exception is the drum.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: For Kathryn (Jazz Disco)

Hi Wrayer,

a nice melody and groove, I like it!

I think it would be great to listen to this recording where you are playing a real trumpet.

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Help me Wrayer,
    I can get to the site OK but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to listen to "Kathryn."

sos

Gunther - thanks for the listen, oh that I wish I could play that solo trumpet. The days of me doing that have past, my solo would be much more reserved. It does hold your attention though. Thanks again.

sosmus - sorry, I can't help. There should be a player that has a play button. Others have complained before, but I don't know the solution.

Jon - as soon as my foot stops tapping I will comment on pesky trumpet players (Ha) Aren;t they the best. What would life be without us?

Challenge #10 Winner

Time for my standard ESNIPS TIP:

--The player doesn't work for a lot of people. Solution - On the left side, underneath the site's player, you will see a small graphic "MP3 widget." This is meant for the page user to get the code for a little MP3 player that they can cut and paste wherever they want to place it online. But visitors can use it too--Click it, you'll be taken to another page with the widget preview loaded with the song--Push Play--There ya go.

(but---gotta add--grrrrrrrr @ Esnips - all those ads and junky pages - it has to be one of the worst places to post music - I have no idea why it's popular)

NOW, on to the music!

What a great tribute, Bill -"For Kathryn" is in a genre I've never heard of--Jazz Disco--wow, doesn't sound like it would work so well, but it actually does. Nice catchy rhythm! The laying out of the song in the opening part didn't really grab me in a strong way, but then once the solo improvisations came in--YEeeah, I was hooked.

Nice solid sound you've built, with the relative volumes in the mix really working. I'd like to pass on a few technical observations:

--What was the plucked chunky chunk sound towards the left? JABB Guitar I think? It sounded quantized, and the only unnatural sounding thing in the track - a bit of a Casio auto-play effect, it seemed to me.

--The Brass is So much drier than the Strings, it sounded like they were playing in two very different rooms. I feel that the Brass needed more ambience "air" around it ie: more reverb.

Basically, Bill, I really enjoyed your Jazz Disco!

Randy B.

Thumbs up Re: For Kathryn (Jazz Disco)

Hey wrayer!

Chalk another one up for a great, catchy tune from you. I've listened to it three times now and really like the feel and vibe it brings. Nice work on the trumpet too!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    --What was the plucked chunky chunk sound towards the left? JABB Guitar I think? It sounded quantized, and the only unnatural sounding thing in the track - a bit of a Casio auto-play effect, it seemed to me.
    Yes, it is the guitar, I need to re-work that part (I just hate doing all those midi thingies...

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    The Brass is So much drier than the Strings, it sounded like they were playing in two very different rooms. I feel that the Brass needed more ambience "air" around it ie: more reverb.
    Randy B.
    Another pesky little thing to do, and I am lazy about it. But are right. I will do it the 'right way' and see if I can balance it a bit better.

Thanks for the comments as always, Randy

Challenge #10 Winner

Kevin,

Thanks for stopping by for a listen. I am glad you enjoyed the piece. I intend to send it to Kathryn when it is complete. (She will be getting the piano version as sheet music since she is a very accomplished pianist.)

Challenge #10 Winner

Hello again, Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Yes, it is the guitar, I need to re-work that part (I just hate doing all those midi thingies...
    (reverb) Another pesky little thing to do, and I am lazy about it. But are right. I will do it the 'right way' and see if I can balance it a bit better.
    LOL! Well you know, that's refreshingly honest to hear you say you hate doing all those "pesky" "thingies."

We can all feel bogged down sometimes by doing all that editing, but when we focus on the superior results we get - that can really help sustain us through the tedium. It's Our music!--and of course we want it to sound as good as possible. The extra effort is Always worth it - and I know you agree.

Thanks again for really fun track.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post

Bill

Computers can do so much nowadays, you'd think they'd be able to make it sound like we want, without so much work. I also

just hate doing all those midi thingies...

But this still sounds great.

Well done

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast