• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Sonata Movement

Share/Bookmark

Piano Sonata Movement

Well, its not a sonata yet, but when the remaining movements are finished, it will be. Meanwhile, here is one of the movements, probably the first. It is not likely to be sleep inducing. But if you do nod a bit, you will get a bit of a jolt at time two minutes twenty seven seconds or so.

Uses GPO Steinway and Sonar, with Fatar keyboard.

Richard

10 Feb 08, link removed. The piece has been renamed Transformation Sonata III, and there is a new thread this date, entitled Transformation Sonata.
    Last edited by rwayland; 02-01-2008 at 04:26 AM. Reason: change the link

Re: Piano Sonata Movement

Very nice indeed. I particularly liked the very dramatic intro. I am looking forward to hear the entire sonata. It already promises a great listening experience. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Well, thank you, Louis. I also like the opening, but am particularly pleased with the ending, and all the hints and references that lead to the ending. The intro and ending were added after about the 35th final version!

The link now leads to a slightly revised version. There were about 6 chords requiring a stretch of a twelfth, and a bunch of note that were much too soft to identify the progression, and a few other minor things, all corrected with the revision., which just now finished uploading.

Richard

Richard,

I listened to the Movement. I feel the consistency in your music, as usual, which gives me a deep relief, something quite similar to what I feel from J. S. Bach's music. Consistency and continuity. The repetitive perfect fourths in right hand is beautiful. "Gear shift" in the latter part is very effective.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Richard

Love that opening. It sets the tone perfectly for the journey to follow.

And a repeat for the ending!!

Well done

Ron

Well, thanks, guys. I really usually try to make the opening give a good clue about the piece, although now and then I want to be sneaky. I am pleased that the references to Bach were noticed. I was told exactly that earlier this afternoon when I showed it to my pianist friend who was here for a discussion of performance details on some of my other works. I often wonder how often the Bach resemblance is noted as it is present in much of my work. The music does not sound like Bach, but the technique is similar, and deliberate, because , as Jun mentioned, it provides consistency and continuity.

Richard

By heaven, Richard, I think you've secreted away a
    certain leaning toward the quasi-neo-psuedo-Romantic,
    haven't you?

Sonically, harmonically, this is clearly one of your
    most interesting and pleasing efforts. Characteristically
    Wayland; yet a lot of traditional strokes in this, far
    more overt drama, and, dare I say it... emotional appeal!

Bring it on, Richard, bring it on. I'm really looking
    forward to the rest of this one!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is more classical-romantic.

Some of Keith Jarret's music comes to mind at certain times but you take more chances.

It sounds like a good piece for performance.

Phil

Well, David & Phil, when you consider that my desert island list of music includes Tchaikowsy's Violin Concerto and 5th symphony, Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto, Cesar Franck's Symphony in D Minor, etc, you will find plenty of evidence of my interest in emotional and romantic music. The rest of this is still slowly forming in my head. But I have another, done in the last two days, that has a certain romantic-dramatic mood, but nonetheless, quite modern. I will post the link in a day or so.

Richard

Richard -

I thoroughly enjoyed your piece. As others have also shared, it's quite expressive ala rwayland. I hope to hear what you might share as this Sonata is developed.

Most respectfully. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast