• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chris Hein Horns memory

Chris Hein Horns memory

this is my first post here so a big hello to everyone here and a big hello from the island of guernsey where i come from, i've been trawling through the past year of posts and have already learnt some valuable information, what a great site this is, so many very talented people, thankyou for sharing your knowledge with us mere mortals!!

I've recently purchased Chris Hein Horns as I have a project which i think could do with some realistic brass sounds (haven't got the budget for BBB!) I'm really happy with the software so far, way better than any synth could do but i do have to say i feel a bit gutted about the amount of ram it takes up on my computer, could anyone give me any tips on how to get the best usage out of this software, so far I've basically been loading the full versions of each instrument and fiddling with the key switches but i could only basically load the full trumpet, the full trombone and the tenor sax would get half way and then say that there isn't enough ram left! i would have thought i could have loaded up a lot more instruments with the spec that i've got.

Would it be better for me to concentrate on the sound that i'm after for a certain section i.e trombone crescendo and load that sample as a single sample then do the same for the trumpets and then sax? once i'm happy with that then bounce to audio, it seems a very long winded process, do most of you guys have multiple pc setups? I'm not even too sure how to go about doing that...i.e do you need another soundcard for the other computer? I have read a bit about fx teleport so i understand about the networking but if anyone can explain the basic principles in layman terms i'd really appreciate it.....I better leave it at that for now, I have so many things i want to ask but i don't want to take up too much of your time
    Sorry for the newbness but i am just a simple guernsey guy

thankyou to whoever replies
    Intel DP35DP mobo, qx6600 cpu, 2x 400g Western Digital sata 16mb cache, 4 gig corsair ram, XP Home, Cubase 5.5, RME Fireface, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Trilian

Re: Chris Hein Horns memory

[Chris is a regular in this forum. so he'll probably answer]

...IMO, it seems that you're on the right track.
    If you doun't need all of the articulations and fx, for this particular piece, you might try using one of the smaller versions of the instruments. There's quite a few variations. Use those to get you arrangement down, then (like you said) load the full ones if you need to and bounce it down, one at a time.

I haven't had to do this yet, but it seems like the most prudent solution.

I hope that helps a little.

hi moja, cheers for the reply, i've just looked at a tutorial for vsl users showing the amount of work it takes to get a realistic sounding solo line on a violin so i understand the amount of patience recquired, i think my mind is on the right track too, maybe i'm just expecting it to be easier than i thought! back to the memory subject, is the 3 gig switch a pretty good idea, when i bought the rain pc i specifically asked for them to put that in but it made my graphics card go nuts i.e not be recognised by windows so the tech guy had to remotely disable it, so i guess i'm stuck with 2 gig for appz and 2 gig for xp,

talk about a long learning curve with this computer music malarkey!
    Intel DP35DP mobo, qx6600 cpu, 2x 400g Western Digital sata 16mb cache, 4 gig corsair ram, XP Home, Cubase 5.5, RME Fireface, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Trilian

Hey. I'm not sure by reading if you know this yet, but you can load the smaller versions and still have all the articulations. There should be three sets of each patch with keyswitches, the only difference being the number of velocity levels. The largest of these has 20 velocity levels for each articulation on each note, which hardly takes any time to make my system hiccup when a few sounds are loaded. The others have around 10 and 6, I believe. I use the "Basic Playing Techniques" versions a lot, because these have fewer articulations, but you still get most of the articulations you would likely use and it saves a ton of memory. When I load samples for full band, rhythm section, and strings for my tracks, I can usually do a trumpet, trombone, alto, and tenor in the basic playing techniques mode and not hit any snags with my 3GB Macbook Pro. Hope that helps!

Hi Princey,
    loading all four full versions means loading 21.000 samples.
    Allthough they are all streamed and only the beginning of the sample is
    actually loaded into ram, this amount of samples is too much for most computers.
    You could try to edit the DFD settings and lower the preload buffer,
    but my experience is, that does not help very much.

There are several option with the different presets in CHH:
    There are medium and light versions of each instrument available.
    The medium versions have still 8-12 velocities where the full version have up to 20.
    Check, if this is ok for you. You should be able to load all medium versions with your setup.

There are instruments called BPT which meas Basic Playing Techniques.
    These intruments only have the most important articulations.

What I often do is, do the arrangement with the light or medium versions,
    subtitute them with the full version, render the track and load the next full version.

Off cource, you could also go with the single articulations, but I thank thats not very handy.

I hope with these options you'll find a good balance between the amount
    of articulations, velocties and instruments.
    All in all its simply the amount of samples that costs ram.

BTW, I'm working on an update for CHH which is pretty far.
    There are tons of new features.
    If you own Kontakt2, I could send you a beta version of the new instruments.
    Please send me you emal address via PM if you are interested in the bew version.

All the best,

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass

thanks guys,

i've been playing around and am much happier with the results, i guess like you say chris, loading that many samples is bound to push the computer to the edge!

I tried yesterday using the lite and medium versions and once i worked out what i wanted to do i rendered them, it's actually a pretty quick process once you know what you want to play, it's added lots of life to the track i'm working on so a good purchase indeed

sorry chris, forgot to mention, haven't got kontakt yet, from reading on here it sounds like it would be wise getting it though as it seems all you guys are using it, i went down the gigastudio route but to be honest it made my computer BSOD almost every day so i just stuck with GVI, oh well i guess thats another investment then!

Go Back to forum