• Register
  • Help

Topic: 3 X 5 Percussion Trio

3 X 5 Percussion Trio

So it's been a while since I've posted anything. If people would just stop inventing so many new contests, maybe I'd have time to write something of my own free will! So, here's a percussion trio: Timpani, Marimba, Multi Percussion (Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Suspended/Crash Cymbal, Tam-tam) I was having some fun with 5/4 time in this one, so this is really unlike anything I usually compose, other than the fact that it is a percussion ensemble. Yes, it is done. Thanks for listening!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6227453&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6227453&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: 3 X 5 Percussion Trio

Cool piece!

It reminds me of the music from the movie "Catch Me If you Can" with Tom Hanks and The kid from Titantic.

I never composed using the Marimba until I got GPO/JABB, now I can't go without it. I just love the sound of it in any style of music.

Well done

Wow, I love Catch Me If You Can and the soundtrack. I'm honored that it reminds you of this, though I feel it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same conversation as John Williams I really appreciate it! Thanks!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hiya, sanyarem

This is very neat! Sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it, and that really comes across - the results--I had a lot of fun listening to it.

It's really a cliche to say a piece sounds like film sound track material - what COuldn't be in a sound track? Nothing I can think of --that's really wide open. BUt then there pieces like this, So taking us back to fun suspense films - it really does fit into that genre nicely.

You used a relatively small reverb setting but a high level. I feel that either a larger room, or less wetness on this would be more effective. It was too intensely processed to me - Doesn't it sound a little odd to you?

Cool beans stuff though. Thanks.

Randy B.

Randy, yes, to tell you the truth I honestly didn't mess with the reverb at all on this one, just used the default sounding, which I usually don't enjoy. I'll have to go back and adjust it, thanks for the comment!

Alright, it should be fixed. It's obvious I'm still pretty new at this because before I changed the wet/dry, I was consciously aware of things like "man, I can't hear the individual sticks on this suspended cymbal," I naturally, I commited blasphemy and blamed it on the software. I just need to get into the habit of changing the wet/dry settings for every song. Thanks again!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Sanyarem this sounds great, strange but very attractive. I can hear you master the Percussion stuff. Thanks for letting us hear this.

What a cool piece! I love straight percussion work
    to begin with, and this is really well done -- a lot of
    great mileage out of a minimum of resources.

Very well done, sanyarem: Much applause!

South of the Ohio River

Great tune - well constructed - masterfully performed.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Raymond- I'm flattered you feel I "master" percussion! Though I am much more comfortable with it than, say, piano or orchestra, I feel I can always improve, perhaps that's just because of the wide range of possibilities opened with percussion. Thanks for commenting!

a lot of
    great mileage out of a minimum of resources

thanks a lot! There we so many times I was like, "well... I could add just one more player,"... but I stuck it out. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Jaybee- thankyou very much, though, I have to give a lot of credit to Finale for making such an easy program to work with.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I heard this with interest. I like percussion instruments and this was an interesting blend.
    It sounded to me like it is played by percussionists in an unusual procession.

Go Back to forum