• Help

Topic: Next Generation JABB Performance Patches

Share/Bookmark

Next Generation JABB Performance Patches

Jazz & Big Band
    Phrase Modeled Performance Instruments
    &
    Phrase Modeled Performance Multi

The Jazz & Big Band Phrase Modeled Performance Instruments integrate programming and scripts to achieve automation of all performance characteristics of an instrument. The performance scripts model phrasing in real time based on note characteristics such as speed, length, overlap and space. The scripts will correctly interpret phrases based on the instruments capabilities avoiding, for example, a Saxophone or Trumpet playing up-tempo tongued sixteenth note triplets. The instruments sport a new simpler cleaner interface avoiding screen swapping and providing feedback on articulations, note bends etc. The instruments are intended to be used with a Phrase Modeled Multi which provides humanization characteristics also modeled in real time based on note characteristics complimenting the instruments phrasing. Vibrato has been relegated to the Phrase Modeled Multi Scripts which provide aftertouch generation producing vibrato as originally programmed in the instruments. The goal of the instruments is to provide a virtual live musician playing the Garritan Libraries eliminating the tweaking of midi parameters required for convincing sequences.

A demo Multi and MP3 Demos are available at Mike's K2 Scripts

Installation Instructions

The Phrase Modeled Performance Multi Demo archive includes three archives

Docs.zip
    Presets.zip
    UserPatches.zip

Unzip the each of the archives to your KontaktPlayer2 Directory
    (Usually C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player 2)

Re: Next Generation JABB Performance Patches

Mike,

Thanks for your continuing efforts! Really interesting stuff. I'd encourage people to download your work and give it a try.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Your plug is greatly appreciated

MMOSC -

I almost missed this! Checking out mp3 samples now.

Thanks for putting these scripts out there for us to look over.

Joe

Question Re: Next Generation JABB Performance Patches

Well, I am a little confused. I did download your original scripting (maybe a year or so ago) and liked the idea and the general start you had in the direction you were taking the scripts. It was a little rough around the edges back then and I was curious as to how far you have developed it when I saw this forum topic. The mp3's do indeed sound GREAT.

However, installation is not happening for me. I unzipped as you stated in your 15 page doc to the Native Instruments directory and when I ran KP2 player, there were no multis to be found. I tried just a single instrument (TenorSax 2) from a file in the drop down listed title performance patches (or something like that) the loading immediately stopped and asked for a missing file (bass.wav). When I directed it to the impulse file (there was no bass.wav in the file) it just sat there and waited for a non-existent missing file. I can't do a search for Bass.wav as every piece of music I have written and have on my hard drives has a Bass.wav file in it and I have nearly a half TB of drive space.

My instrument files for J&BB are in the Garritan Jazz and Big Band folder and my GPO instruments are in my GPO folder. When I checked the folders that I unzipped from your .zip file most were totally empty. Am I missing something here?

I would really like to try this but after printing and reading your docs, I am more confused than ever. They don't really explain enough about your scripts. They are more a list of patches and instruments used then an aid in setting up the scripts.

Most likely, it is probably due to my mis-understanding or mis-interpretation.

Thanks Mike for all the effort you have put into this and I would really like to give it a try.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Rich,

Sorry for the confusion. These multis are pre-release, the PDF document supplies installation instructions for the complete package. A readme file is included in the zip file with correct installation notes. I updated the original post with these instructions. The multis will show up on the first dropdown bar under User Multis.

Well, I told you it would be my mistake. I went right past the readme file and read and printed the unzipped doc file assuming that the readme file said to do something like that. That'll teach to read the readme first file FIRST.

Thanks for the speedy comeback
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum