• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scripted Stradivari & Gofriller

Share/Bookmark

Scripted Stradivari & Gofriller

Updated MP3 and Multi

Mendelssohn String Quartet No.5 in Eb, Op.44, No.3 Allegro Vivace

This is a rendering of a Mendelssohn String Quartet Midi file available from the Classical Music Archives to demo the Stradivari Gofriller String Quartet Multi.
    The Multi includes 3 instances of the Stradavari Violin and the Gofriller Cello. One instance of the Stradavari is detuned down a 5th while transposing the viola part in the midi file up a fifth with EQ applied on the channel out of the K2 player to simulate a viola. (thanks Michel - qccowboy) The Multi includes scripting
    at the K2player level allowing for scripting of the Stradavari & Gofrillers dynamics, attacks & vibrato. The Multi also provides intelligent note randomization,
    and program control support. A demo beta version of the Stradivari Gofriller String Quartet Multi is available at Mike's K2 Scripts
    The Garritan Stradavari Violin and Gofriller Cello libraries are required

Re: Scripted Stradivari & Gofriller

This multi has potentially a lot to offer those, like me, who are interested in a realistic solo string sound. Parts of your Mendelssohn demo are very good, other parts still sound a bit processed. The reason for this probably is that the multi is simplyreading an off-the-shelf midi-file (very well too), but the Strad and Gofriller both need detailed editing, especially of the expression, modulation, velocity, tempo and portamento controls. For comparison, I am adding a link to a quartet movement I recently wrote, and have now applied Strad and Gof to the 1st violin and cello parts. The 2nd violin and viola are standard GPO KS instruments.
    My results are far from perfect. The broad effect is too aggressive at times, unlike your demo. On the other hand, with detailed editing, I think I am getting a more sonorous cello and first fiddle. I would be interested to know if you expect your multi to develop in terms of expression. By that I man, will it read a detailed notation program or sequencer edit accurately (I work in Overture4). http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5863859

Hi, Mike "MMOSC"

I think this is a very admirable thing you've done. The results are more than just pleasant, though they are certainly that, and I think most people would be quite impressed that your recording has been done with sample libraries.

The basic difference in the sound of the solo libraries and the GPO Viola is noticeable - How could it not be? The Viola is sitting in there as well as it can, but ears can detect its vastly simplified sound compared to the complex layering of sound in the Strad and Gofriller which makes those instruments more natural sounding.

Dermod sounds like he's more sensitive to the over-simplifications of dynamics in this rendering, but I had at least some inclination to think that with some good old-fashioned hands-on human input, this would be even better.

I think all the attempts to automate things, like in your scripts, and utilities like "Human Playback" in Finale are very interesting. Being a keyboard player with a more simple relationship between just me, my hands and a recording device (tape, sound editor, DAW--whatever)--automated approaches are all the sort of thing I've never been inclined to experiment with. I just have to play notes and then do my best to edit the results for a good recording.

But it is nonetheless interesting, these attempts to rely on scripts and various automations to do the work.

Thanks for a very interesting post!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by dermod View Post
    I would be interested to know if you expect your multi to develop in terms of expression. By that I man, will it read a detailed notation program or sequencer edit accurately (I work in Overture4). http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5863859
    Dermond,

The scripts are meant to eliminate the midi editing required for a realistic rendering. Expression and Attack are generated based on note velocities so a midi file with static dynamics will not sound that good. Playing with the midi file, adjusting note placement & velocity values will definetly yield a better performance. Also the velocity modulation amount controlling attack can be altered through midi cc as can the vibrato amount.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I think this is a very admirable thing you've done. The results are more than just pleasant, though they are certainly that, and I think most people would be quite impressed that your recording has been done with sample libraries.
    Thanks Randy very nice of you to say

The basic difference in the sound of the solo libraries and the GPO Viola is noticeable - How could it not be? The Viola is sitting in there as well as it can, but ears can detect its vastly simplified sound compared to the complex layering of sound in the Strad and Gofriller which makes those instruments more natural sounding..
    Think of the Violist as the weak link in the Quartet or maybe He or She's a Sub for this session. Seriously, I'm still in awe of the sound of the Strad & Gofriller, I did what I could with the Viola which actually sounds pretty good I think, just not next to the Strad & Gofriller

Dermod sounds like he's more sensitive to the over-simplifications of dynamics in this rendering, but I had at least some inclination to think that with some good old-fashioned hands-on human input, this would be even better.
    Definetly, manipulating note lengths and velocity values would yield a better performance as would varying the Attack modulation setting in the script. This demo and the others on my web site were produced by loading the midi file and K2 Player into Sonar, setting channel assignments and rendering the Midi to Wav. Also no audio effects other then the convolution provided in the K2 Player were used.

The Original post has been updated with The Stradavari replacing the GPO Viola in the MP3 and downloadable Multi.
    One instance of the Stradavari is detuned down a 5th while transposing the viola part in the midi file up a fifth with EQ applied on the channel out of the K2 player to simulate a viola. Thanks to Michel (qccowboy) for figuring out how to make the Strad sound like a Viola.

I download the scripts to give them a try. But they don't show as a multi when I open Kontaktplayer. Nor can I find them by running a search. Puff of smoke? Where should they have nested themselves?

I download the scripts to give them a try. But they don't show as a multi when I open Kontaktplayer. Nor can I find them by running a search. Puff of smoke? Where should they have nested themselves?
    Dermod,

Installation Instructions

The Phrase Modeled Performance Multi Demo archive includes three archives

Docs.zip
    Presets.zip
    UserPatches.zip

Unzip the each of the archives to your KontaktPlayer2 Directory
    (Usually C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player 2)

You should see 3 multi's in the user multi drop down in the K2 Players Browser window

I would be interested to know if you expect your multi to develop in terms of expression. By that I man, will it read a detailed notation program or sequencer edit accurately (I work in Overture4).
    To further answer your 1st post in Overture set the dynamic markings to control velocity values. Set bow markings to set cc4 values, lower values softer attacks higher values harsher attacks. Vibrato is controlled by cc77 and note randomization is controlled by cc3. This also applies to Finale (turn Human Playback off) & Sibelius.

Wow!! Great job on this. I only see things getting better and better with these instruments.
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Thanks DelCarry, Glad you enjoyed it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast