• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I don't give up.. thanks to DPDAN

Share/Bookmark

I don't give up.. thanks to DPDAN

Under thread - I'll give up ... we started an "online" mastering course. Participants many. College given by Porfessor DPDAN. See this :

http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...t=58710&page=9

where I presented the various versions. The last message of DPDAN, before he was subjected to The BackBone Collector, was that I should do something with 3KHz on only the violins. I couldn't wait till his recovery, so I experimented a bit further. Some guys also mentioned to raise the flutes (or lower the strings) a bit.

I never thought that the violins sounded better with some equalizing on or around 3 KHz, but they did. A tiny bit, true, but noticeable. I lowered the presence of the 3KHz when the violins1&2 raised their voices for the higher registers. Next I lowered the overal volume of the string section to give the winds a bit more space.

It is all at the following link: Master Class Schubert with DPDAN

This is version --- take 4.

Next I isolated the strings again (vlns1/2) and experimented with some known formants (at 8830, 5500, 6500 Hz). So I introduced another automation setting for the Sonar equalizer for only ~6500 Hz. Lowering the dB's when the violins got fierce (high register PLUS volume). Also found some CC#1 errors in the flutes and corrected them.

The final version --- take 5.

I think the only things I can automate further are my mouse, my wife ..... Thank you DAN and hoping I am the most obeying student you ever had, greetings from Holland,

Raymond
    [PS. My monitors aren't that good in detailed info. I did this with headphones and my Behringer Truth B2030A, condemned by almost everybody ....]

Re: I don't give up.. thanks to DPDAN

Wow! Fantastic difference between Take 2 and Take 5. I think the level automation did quite a lot to give the piece more life. Very well done. Isn't DPDAN great?
    Dave M.

Raymond -

A study in "study." I've appreciated the metamorphosis in your sequence of renderings. I've been following the other thread, and listening to each new version.

Tonight I did all of them, in order. Truly fine work. Your "take 5" rivals our local S.O. In particular, there are places where Flutes speak out over the rest of the orchestra . . . and I get precisely that effect when I hear our S.O. in their own hall. Remarkable!

Thank you for not "giving up" . . . (although I knew in my heart your "giving up" was but a moment's mood ).

Yes, there's a tremendous amount to be learned about mixing/mastering. Yet we can grasp enough at a time to put a bit of polish at a time on those works we labored so long and hard on "getting right" in the first place.

Bravo!

Joe

Joe and Dave thank you for listening and your comments. Now I am getting somewhere. After the project at hand (Bach's Kunst der Fuge-as a learning project -studying fugues and counterpoint) I will start a new composition and at the same time re-render my old works with all this knowledge I've got from experimenting, nicely conducted by Dan (YES!! He is great).

It is time to move on, but slowely, because I won't render the new works with KP2, but with ARIA.

Raymond

Hi Raymond

I have only been reading your experiences this far...
    I can understand all the 'technical problems' you're in and think you have come a long way in sound-quality over the couple of mixes...
    I don't have GPO myself yet but even though I'm not much of a classical music-lover, your piece blows me away and I feel like getting the sample set myself..
    I'm normally making more rock- and progressive music and recording it in LogicPro on Apple - mastering and equalizing music is hard in every style, so I feel for you!
    I think you may be proud of the level that you've reached with this latest recording.. good on ya!!!

greetings from Alkmaar!
    cheers
    Hans

Hi Hans,

thanks for the reply. Finally a fellow country man.
    Raymond

Hi Raymond

Were you starting to feel lonely (country-wise then)??? I think you have been in very capable company, according to what you have achieved with help, especially that from DPDan...
    But I certainly understand your feeling - nowadays you have to be pretty knowledgeable of every in and out of equalizing, compressing, mastering etc.
    On the other hand - now we DO have the possibilities to do all that stuff... capabilities that a decade ago we could only dream of.... but yes, that does demand more from the user also.
    Music, recording and using computers for that, have come a long way....
    I myself have been working with music and computers (midi) since the 'dark ages' of Commodore 64 and a hardware Sequential Circuits sequencer to where I am now... Apple G5 using LogicPro and loads of plugins and a digital mixer...

cheers
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by creart View Post
    .....with music and computers (midi) since the 'dark ages' of Commodore 64 and a hardware Sequential Circuits sequencer
    Those were the days. I programmed that C64 for my son to play along with designed games. The todays MP3 players sound better.. but it was fun to do. After that I abandoned this whole idea and went back to those huge mainframes, big as refrigerators, etc...... But as you said "The Dark Ages"

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    huge mainframes, big as refrigerators"
    Raymond
    and larger even... in my school-time on HTS in Amsterdam I used to work on something called Electrologica-X1, which would definitely not fit in my room , using punch-tape...
    But the times for computers have flown and now we are able to use these fantastic programs and sample-libraries or modeling-software or....
    And you can 'just' record a complete Schubert Symphony!!! Don't you just love it?? (well... if you forget the techno mambo-jambo a bit )

Quote Originally Posted by creart View Post
    and larger even... in my school-time on HTS in Amsterdam I used to work on something called Electrologica-X1, which would definitely not fit in my room , using punch-tape...
    But the times for computers have flown and now we are able to use these fantastic programs and sample-libraries or modeling-software or....
    And you can 'just' record a complete Schubert Symphony!!! Don't you just love it?? (well... if you forget the techno mambo-jambo a bit )
    I've seen one (X1).... and you could keep your overtime diner warm inside those metal boxes...... but now we have to start some sort of historic "old age/nostalgic" forum........

Raymond

Go Back to forum