• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Stradivari "Viola" playing my Sonata

Share/Bookmark

Stradivari "Viola" playing my Sonata

I decided to try my hand at making the Strad play viola.
    With all the hints and bits of information I got from various people, I was able to get what I think is a pretty good idea of what a "garritan solo viola" might sound like

Some of the vibrato seems a litle strange (particularly on held doublestops).

So here's the 2nd and 3rd movements (the two middle movements) of my Sonata for viola.

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/viola_s...nata_strad.mp3

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/viola_s...nata_strad.mp3

Structurally, a simple A-B-A adagio (Aria), and a very straight forward contrapuntal Scherzo (here entitled Scherzetto due to its brevity).

Re: Stradivari "Viola" playing my Sonata

Well done Michel,

Are all the movements available? The Garritan "viola" sounds quite good, though it of course would be more fun to hear a real violist perform it! I could give it to Thane Lewis (viola) and his wife Lisa (piano) and I bet they would at least give it a good reading...

---Matt
    Matthew C. Weiss
    Pranakasha Productions
    Seattle, WA USA
    www.OctavaChamberOrchestra.com
    www.TrioConBrio.com
    www.WeissConcerto.com

Thank-you Matt. At this time, only those two movements are finished, however, this is the piece I am currently working on, so hopefully, it will be complete before the spring. Although, I WOULD appreciate some input on the score from the violist... I wonder if he'd be interested in taking a gander at it and giving me some feedback?

Michel

Another great piece from you.

From your last couple of pieces, it looks like you are really enjoying using the Strad.

Just one minor observation and this may be due to my cheap headphones, but it sounds like I am sitting right next to the piano and the Viola is in the corner playing. As the piano becomes louder, this becomes more pronounced.

But still a great job

Ron

Thank-you Ron.
    For the distance issue, I suspect it may be something to do with the way the strad itself is recorded.

All I have done is set a global reverb, and slightly spaced out the instruments off center (piano left, viola right).

Or could it be the de-tuning of the viola that gives this effect? I'm not terribly knowledgable in affairs of sound editing and sound production.

Michel, this is absolutely beautiful. I love the viola (even though it's actually a violin!) and it combines so well with the piano, especially in such a superbly crafted piece as this. I wish I could say more - but for my taste, this is musical perfection! Thanks, Graham.

Thumbs up Re: Stradivari "Viola" playing my Sonata

Michel,

I enjoyed your sonata very much. Every single note is very persuasive. Stable and full of confidence. This is a great work.

Also, I am interested in how you create viola out of strad violin. Can Kontakt do the trick?

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Thank-you Graham, domo arigato Jun-san.

To answer your question, all I did was de-tune the Strad from within the Kontakt player, turning the little wheel to -7. Then, in Finale, I had to transpose the viola part up a perfect 5th.

At first, I was afraid that the transposition would confuse HumanPlayback into mis-reading the Keyswitches. However, obviously, my worries were for naught.

I DID try to apply a tansposition to the viola staff to make it "look" like a viola staff again... but THAT seemed to cause a LOT of trouble. HumanPlayback could no longer recognize the proper trigger notes for the Keyswitches.

I'll be trying more experiments with this, to see if I can get proper notation as well as sound. I will keep you up to date on my progress.

To recap a few "tricks" I used:

I created a hidden articulation that brings note velocity down to 20%, for those places where I want a nice, juicy, portamento.

I also took Nickie's information and was able to create (invisible) text expressions that told HumanPlayback to switch back and forth between monophonic and polyphonic mode.

To go with those expressions, I needed to create a technique in HumanPlayback to help Finale recognize those spots where I wanted the switch from monophonic to polyphonic. (this was necessary for the sections in double stopped notes)

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    For the distance issue, I suspect it may be something to do with the way the strad itself is recorded.
    Michel, if you are using KP2's convolution reverb you could try it as a Send effect (insert the convolution reverb in an AUX bus, that has its output to the same audio channels as "St. 1"). That way you can give the Strad and the piano different amounts of reverb by adjusting the Aux sliders in the Aux strip below each instrument (click the tiny Aux button in the instruments upper right corner (below "x" and "-") to make the strip visible). The Aux bus will then carry the wet signal, and the "St. 1" will carry the dry signal - you mix them by adjusting the Aux strip sliders (you may have to lower the "St. 1" & "Aux" main output sliders to avoid distortion - -6dB for both may be appropriate).

ahh.... Michel....

I love how you write tonal music that is still obviously modern... it is fresh and listenable, and feeds my soul!
    I can hardly wait for the other movements.

I missed the "tricks" tutorial for the portamento and the mono to polyphonic - can you point me to the post(s) or drop me a quick email or PM? I'm experimenting with some string quartet stuff that has double-stops. I also assume that the same mono-to-poly works for the Gofriller?

Peace,

- J

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    Thank-you Graham, domo arigato Jun-san.

To recap a few "tricks" I used:

I created a hidden articulation that brings note velocity down to 20%, for those places where I want a nice, juicy, portamento.

I also took Nickie's information and was able to create (invisible) text expressions that told HumanPlayback to switch back and forth between monophonic and polyphonic mode.

To go with those expressions, I needed to create a technique in HumanPlayback to help Finale recognize those spots where I wanted the switch from monophonic to polyphonic. (this was necessary for the sections in double stopped notes)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast