• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale DYNAMICS expression set for GPO CC#1?

Share/Bookmark

Finale DYNAMICS expression set for GPO CC#1?

I think I've finally forgiven Garritan for ignoring 25 years of electronic music history and linking instrumental dynamics exclusively to MIDI controller #1 while completely ignoring keystroke velocity. (Unless, of course, the instrument is piano, harp or percussion). "Expressiveness" is only a unique function of keystroke in percussive instruments, all others requiring a more fluid control of volume & timbre AFTER the note has been struck.

But sadly Finale's default DYNAMIC expressions are still linked exclusively to velocity, while its PLAYBACK mechanism defaults to GPO. Where's the complete (text expression) dynamic set linked to CC#1?

I've tried altering the default dynamic set so that the velocity numbers are re-directed to controller 1. This doesn't work (particularly at softer volumes) since the effective "curve" for GPO CC1 is clearly not linear.
    Last edited by cv186; 02-01-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: mistake

Re: Finale DYNAMICS expression set for GPO CC#1?

Hi

What version of Finale are you using?

Finale 2006 and on recognise GPO patches and use the appropriate controllers for dynamics.

To get the dynamics to work properly, you must do the following
    1) Use the 9.Notation set of instruments within GPO
    2) Have HP enabled within Finale
    3) Give your staves and instruments correct names within Finale.

All versions of Finale since 2006 include a GPO and HP tutorial, and there are excellent sections within the manual on how to customise HP techniques.

In addition, GPO does use velocity on sustaining instruments, but mostly to affect the attack of the instrument.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Hi

Just an addition to my previous post.

The version of finale that you are using will also dictate which version GPO you should use.

If you are using Finale 2006, you need to use the KP1 version of GPO.
    If you are using Finale 2007, you need to go to the Finale support website and download the latest update to get HP to recognise the new KP2 version of GPO.

If you are using Finale 2008, you should be using the KP2 version of GPO.

The reason is that HP for Finale 2006 and 2007 (vanilla) do not recognise KP2.

Cheers...

Thanks for the help, Darrob. I'm using Fin2008a (on Macintel) and "full" GPO.

I stopped using HumanPlayback in Finale last year when I found that it introduced too many unwanted anomalies - like changing volume and tempo when it shouldn't. I know that all these things are supposedly fixable in HP ... the learning curve just seemed too steep (and unwarranted). The documentation (in Finale) is still pretty impenetrable, and the relationship to all the assumptions associated with GPO instruments is fairly complex.

If nobody comes up with a simpler solution I guess I'll just have to acquiesce and do what Finale/GPO expect me to! (ie. put up with the way that HP thinks my music should sound).

Hi

HP has been fixed quite a lot in Fin2k8a.

More often than not, unexpected problems that creep in can be fixed. Usually by moving or removing an expression/articulation.
    If you do find problems with HP, go to the Finale Forums and ask a question there. You usually get an answer quite quickly.

The thing with HP is that although the learning curve may seem steep, it a a gentle climb compared to having to learn how to manually edit a midi file to get realistic playback.

That being said, there will still be times when manual editing of a midi file will be required to polish a performance.

Cheers...

Go Back to forum