• Register
  • Help

Topic: Serious flaw in the Gofriller (updated version)

Share/Bookmark

Serious flaw in the Gofriller (updated version)

I don't really know how to describe this, so it's going to be pretty verbose.

When you look at the Kontakt Player 2 mini keyboard, while the Gofriller is playing, you see the little notes playing along as the music plays (like invisible little fingers)

However, I noticed that it's playing on the keyboard in octaves.

So, play middle C on the cello (c on the first ledger line above the bass clef) and you will see the keybopard play that noe.. PLUS the C one octave lower.

Where this becomes a serious issue is that if you are playing notes in the lowest octave of the cello (2 octaves down from middle C) those "shadow" octaves are playing keyswitch notes at the same time!!!!!

So I watched a simple phrase being played in normal cello range, and this was at the same time triggering all the keyswitches for the cello at the same time!!!!

Is there something wrong in the way my Gofriller is installed or set up? did I accidentally hit a wrong key, launching some unwanted function?

Re: Serious flaw in the Gofriller (updated version)

I think you may not be following related threads. The octave issue has been raised numerous times, but only one official fix to date offered for Finale users. Fortunately, the instrument itself is fantastic, so we make allowances. Except of course, for the fact that the promised string set has been preremptorily scrapped in favour of the suggestion that there will be jam tomorrow. Time will tell. The overall excellence of the Garritan libraries is not in doubt.

The instrument works as intended. The behaviour you report has to do with the way Kontakt 2 (and Kontakt Player 2) handles transposition. Its purely cosmetic. The lowest of the two octaves, you see playing, doesn't get passed on to the script handling the KeySwitching. You are seeing the notes recieved by the instrument through the incoming MIDI stream (the lowest of the two octaves) before transposition, and you are seeing the notes passed on by the transposition script to the main script and sample engine (highest of the two octaves). No worries, mate.

this may be, except I'm seeing the Kontakt Player indicating a sequence of changes at the same time: muted, normal, muted, harmonics, etc... as the lower notes hit the particular keyswitches triggering those changes.

It doesn't seem to be doing it ALL the time, however, so more exploring will ahve to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I'm seeing the Kontakt Player indicating a sequence of changes at the same time: muted, normal, muted, harmonics, etc... as the lower notes hit the particular keyswitches triggering those changes.
    Now, that doesn't sound too good How about the sound - does it follow the indications?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Now, that doesn't sound too good How about the sound - does it follow the indications?

yes, actually, it skips from one type of sound to another.

as I said, however, this seems to be intermittant... it doesn't do it ALL the time. so this is a big puzzlement.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    yes, actually, it skips from one type of sound to another.

as I said, however, this seems to be intermittant... it doesn't do it ALL the time. so this is a big puzzlement.
    A puzzle indeed.

Notes from another instrument on the same channel?
    Hidden notes?

Just guessing wildly here.

When it behaves strangely, what happens when you play the virtual keyboard mouse-manually?

it seems to play fine for a while, then starts doing this bizarre behaviour intermitantly. and it does it regardless of if there's only one single instrument loaded (ie: only one channel of data), and whether I'm letting Finale play it alone or if I'm doodling at the MIDI keyboard.

Go Back to forum