• Register
  • Help

Topic: Moog Modular V switches on Beethoven

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Moog Modular V switches on Beethoven

I just discovered this one-minute demo of Artruia's Moog Modular V playing *all* of the instruments from Beethoven's Symphony #7 and thought it worth sharing.

I'm impressed.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Moog Modular V switches on Beethoven

Thanks for the compliment Houston Haynes. I had posted that mp3 to some other area of NorthernSounds quite some time ago, along with other Arturia Moog MMV demos. I like trying to get synths to do things that you wouldn't think they could do. Having just figured out how to get decent quality plus stereo onto Youtube, I'm putting some of my synth demos to video.

Below is one I did all on an Alesis Ion virtual analog synth which only cost me $540 new. Just click on my user name there if you want to hear/view some other synth videos, like my W. Carlos-style impersonations and some synthesized sound effects. More are in the works for the near future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2XxwsHhwNk

-Elhardt

I wish you would have had a real Modular to record with like Isao Tomita had.

Your playing is great.

I just prefer synthesizers which use Oscillators which are alias free.

This was not meant to be negative, as your talent deserves better synths, that's all.

Real analog Modulars are extremely expensive. The Nords are good but have a digital sounding character to them.

If you really like the originality and uniqueness that Modular synthesis provides, you would love Adern's Flexor III modules made for the Scope DSP Platform.

http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/index.html
    JimmyV

Exclamation Re: Moog Modular V switches on Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live View Post

This was not meant to be negative, as your talent deserves better synths, that's all.
    Well - It's hard to imagine how anyone would think you were being negative...

...or full of bunk. You picked the wrong thread for an attempted hijacking, buddy.

I just checked out the demos on the Adern site - not bad - but I *did* catch some pretty obvious fold-over aliasing at the end of one of the FM examples. It was buried in delay and reverb like most of the patches there, but it's definitely present. So if your baseline for a synth worth its salt is 'alias free', you'd better shill for a new vendor...

I actually shilled for the real analog I believe, and used DSP Platorms as a secondary choice.

Perhaps a Hans Zimmer movie score using the same patform would have been a better demo.

Thank you for the original post you made of the artist.

And hats off to the artist once again.
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live View Post
    I wish you would have had a real Modular to record with like Isao Tomita had.

Your playing is great.

Real analog Modulars are extremely expensive. The Nords are good but have a digital sounding character to them.
    Thanks for your reponse. Tomita may have had a real modular, but when the synthesis got tough he cheated by using a Mellotron for choirs, kettle drums, and flutes, and threw a few other acoustic sounds in there too.

I should mention that my living room is full of real analog synths, including Doepfer and MOTM modular synthesizers. I also have some synth demos up under my name on YT that are using real analogs, MOTM and Alesis Andromeda for example. I'll be putting more up in the future too.

However, mentioning aliasing when for the most part it's not obvious in my demos doesn't make too much sense. In fact, about the only synths I own where aliasing gets in the way sometimes are my Supernova's. But I pick synths that allow me to get certain results. Without patch storage on a real modular synth, I have to use a computer based modular so I can come back day after day and pull up sounds I'm working on and keep improving them. Also, some software or DSP based synths provide a variety or quantity of modules that allow things to be done that can't be done on a real modular. Also the purpose of the Alesis Ion demo was to show what a $600 synth can do, so doing that demo on another synth would defeat the purpose.

I also have a Nord modular. I'm not sure about that digital character though. In fact, some of my Nord strings and solo violin demos I've done on it have generated a number of threads by other people wondering whether It's a real violin, or I'm manipulating samples, and so on. It's all in the programming and uses far more modules and filters than I have in my real analog modular synths, plus gives me numerical accuracy when setting filter frequencies. DSP and computer based synths just become a necessity at some point when sounds get too complex to be practical on a real analog synth.

I came close to buying the Scope/Creamware Modular a while back, but was told it was slow and clumsy to use. For the few things I need to do that exhaust the DSP power of my Nord modular I then can switch to Reaktor. So I'm going to be spending more time with Reaktor in the future, aliasing or not.

-Elhardt

Talking Re: Moog Modular V switches on Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Elhardt View Post
    However, mentioning aliasing when for the most part it's not obvious in my demos doesn't make too much sense.
    Bingo... much ado about nothing...

Go Back to forum