• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Albtraum"

Share/Bookmark

"Albtraum"

Y'all,

This is my strange "Albtraum". Albtraum is the German word for nightmare. (I have been informed by a German citizen that the former spelling was "alptraum").

It is my musical depiction of a bad dream as it progresses from start to unsettling finish. It is not my usual style of writing.

All of the instruments are GPO.

Regards to everyone,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Albtraum"

Larry:
    Very adventurous. Great scoring and beautiful string sounds.
    I take some small exceptions with the when and wherefore of the introduction of dissonance, then taking it in and out, and a few of the progressions are suspect while the dissonance is present, due mainly to lack of consistence once the dissonant element has entered But I like what your doing and where your going.
    I wish my nightmares were this pleasant!

sos

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Larry:
    Very adventurous. Great scoring and beautiful string sounds.
    I take some small exceptions with the when and wherefore of the introduction of dissonance, then taking it in and out, and a few of the progressions are suspect while the dissonance is present, due mainly to lack of consistence once the dissonant element has entered But I like what you're doing and where you're going.
    I wish my nightmares were this pleasant!

sos
    Thanks, Mr. Steve. I shall take some time to digest your comments.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry,

This was certainly a departure for you, and I thought you executed your intent quite well... as I listened, it sounded as though it evolved into a '50s classic sci-fi type of sound, a result I'm sure of the dramatic, total orchestral strings instrumentation. The dissonance was definitely purposeful and effectively moved the ears into the "nightmare" scene.

It's good practice to venture beyond our "box" on occasion, and you did so here with great aplomb.

Impressive work, Larry! I think I better wait a bit before I hit the sack!!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Hi Larry,

This was certainly a departure for you, and I thought you executed your intent quite well... as I listened, it sounded as though it evolved into a '50s classic sci-fi type of sound, a result I'm sure of the dramatic, total orchestral strings instrumentation. The dissonance was definitely purposeful and effectively moved the ears into the "nightmare" scene.

It's good practice to venture beyond our "box" on occasion, and you did so here with great aplomb.

Impressive work, Larry! I think I better wait a bit before I hit the sack!!

Danny
    Thanks, Mr. Danny, but this is not one of my proudest moments, for sure.

When are we going to hear another Mr. Danny's opus?

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi, Larry

Well now! I'm not surprised to learn that even your nightmares have a classical order to them--lol--Such a pleasant quasi-Mozartian opening, then a few dashes of dissonance. Somber throughout. Hmmm, pardon me while I say "interesting"--I do mean that I was interested as I listened.

Now come now, Mr. A--don't you ever have nightmares where all order is stripped away and you're just clinging on for your life? - Or maybe I'm revealing too much of my own chaotic psyche when I say that--When it comes to nightmares I can have some real doozies.

I did appreciate the slight disintegration in the latter parts of this--Well, I enjoyed the whole thing, bluesy chord at the end et al. I'm just struck with how relatively calm the piece was!

Thanks for something rather different this time, Larry.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Larry

Well now! I'm not surprised to learn that even your nightmares have a classical order to them--lol--Such a pleasant quasi-Mozartian opening, then a few dashes of dissonance. Somber throughout. Hmmm, pardon me while I say "interesting"--I do mean that I was interested as I listened.

Now come now, Mr. A--don't you ever have nightmares where all order is stripped away and you're just clinging on for your life? - Or maybe I'm revealing too much of my own chaotic psyche when I say that--When it comes to nightmares I can have some real doozies.

I did appreciate the slight disintegration in the latter parts of this--Well, I enjoyed the whole thing, bluesy chord at the end et al. I'm just struck with how relatively calm the piece was!

Thanks for something rather different this time, Larry.

Randy B.
    Heck, it was nothin'. (It really wasn't...and isn't.)

Thanks for listening, Mr. Randy.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I was quite taken with this the first time I heard it, too,
    Larry...

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47255

Wonderful work, and a worthwhile departure for you,
    indeed. What harmony!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I was quite taken with this the first time I heard it, too,
    Larry...

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47255

Wonderful work, and a worthwhile departure for you,
    indeed. What harmony!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Was that harmony? I didn't know the correct term for it.

I appreciate the kind words as always, Mr. Dave. Thanks for the support.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum