• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: For Kathryn (Piano Solo)

Share/Bookmark

For Kathryn (Piano Solo)

This is the piano version I will be giving to my friend Kathryn upon her move to Baltimore. Since she is a fine pianist, I think should be able to handle this.

For Kathryn - Piano version

I hope you enjoy.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: For Kathryn (Piano Solo)

This seems like quite a stylistic departure for you.

It had a bit of a "improvising jazz-style on a fragment of Bach" feel to it. (that could be because of the "air on the G string" structure of the bass line)

It also has a bit of a "pop-ish" colour to the harmony. It took me quite by surprise.

My only complaint would be that it felt a tiny bit too restricted to the same general tessitura of the piano.

I'm sure your friend will be very pleased to have a piece wirtten especially for her. It's always such a pleasure for a composer to write for a specific person, especially if it's someone you regard as a friend.

[quote=qccowboy;553331]
    My only complaint would be that it felt a tiny bit too restricted to the same general tessitura of the piano.
    quote]

Michel, thanks for stopping by for a listen. Yes I can go off on a tangent. This is a "poppish" style (as you put it) piece. Kathryn works with a gospel group and I thought she'd enjoy variety and novelty of this work. As far as exploring the tessitura of the piano, that was not my intention with this work. Just some fun at the piano.

Thanks for stopping by for a listen.

Challenge #10 Winner

Nice, fun piece. And a nice way to come to Baltimore! There is a lot of energy here, and I'm sure (well, I hope) your friend appreciates it. You capture the style really well.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Something of a departure for you, Bill, but I like
    this -- nothing pretentious about it, just a good,
    solid ride in a more or less popular idiom. Fairly
    easy to play, too, so I'm sure your friend,
    Kathryn, will zip right through it.

Nice job!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi, Bill

It's a great thing you've done, writing this happy song in tribute to your friend, Kathryn. I imagine it's a very nice thought for you, picturing her playing this on her piano.

I really liked the "Jazz Disco," and this simple solo piano version has its charms also.

Thanks for playing it for us.

Randy B.

I thought it was a very enjoyable and uplifting piano piece.

It was kind of a merging of Bach and a song like Heart And Soul.

I'm very familiar with gospel music and I think your friend will really like the tone of this.

Phil

rpearl - thanks for listening. I am sure she will love Baltimore (even if I hate it for stealing our beloved Browns football team). I've had a piano player play the piece and it seems to be very playable.

David - Thanks for stopping in. Yes I think it is just a simple little ditty that is fun to play. I can't wait to give it to her as a going away present. She is the conductor for whom I wrote the "Pluto, Requiem for a Planet".

Randy - You are very welcome. It is nice to be able to hear others say it is a happy song. I get too much of "your songs are always so sad..." I can write happy feet music too...

fastlane - Another listener also mentioned the "Bach" connection. It wasn't intentional, but I do see the similarities with the walking bass line (almost a figured bass style.) I think that is what lends it its charm. Thanks for listening.

Challenge #10 Winner

Sounds like a tune you'd hear in the ending of an old NES game.

"Come on Yuseke; Let's go home!"

A WINNER IS YOU!! *flashing*

lol I mean that as a compliment. . .it's just what I imagined.

Amadeus - thanks for the listen. I have a "hotter" version posted a week back on this same board called "For Kathryn" and a Jazz Band arrangement of it is in the finishing stages soon to be posted.

Thanks again for the listen (Ah yes, the good old NES games, what a long way we have come!)

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast