• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Kidnapped by a Clown

Share/Bookmark

Kidnapped by a Clown

A good many people have a true irrational fear of clowns (coulrophobia).

However, my own fear and loathing of these creatures is far from irrational...

A bit past the mid-point of the 20th century, four years old. An absolutely huge parade -- one of the largest annual ones in Southern California -- the "Mother Goose Parade" in San Diego. Nice, sunny day. My parents, my older sister, older brother all watching from the side of the street. A clown in a Keystone Cops costume riding one those silly tiny bikes comes riding up to us... and he picks me up, sets me on the handle bars and takes off!!

Terror is an inadequate word. I was certain I had been kidnapped into an evil clown family. It was many, many years ago, but I still see the clown, see my hands gripping the handle bars as tightly as I possibly can with my post-toddler fingers, still feel myself teetering back into the lap of the pedaling clown. It lasted probably two, three minutes at most. Way more than too long.

I tell my students and others this story (at our one parade time), and when they seem skeptical, I need only to offer them a look at this following proof:

Yes, that's me. On the verge of clownicide.

My just-completed, therapeutic, cathartic, musical (somewhat) reflection:

A Quick Ride Through Hell With a Clown On a Bike

(all GPO/JABB and a great deal of abhorrence)

http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/clownride.mp3

Thanks for listening, everyone.

Danny

Re: Kidnapped by a Clown

Hi Danny,
    A most descriptive work.
    Mostly Adults don't recognize the World of a child. How many
    kids are traumatized By Santa?
    I especially liked the Bari solo. That's "bari good writing....(sorry, couldn't hep it).
    Gary

What an absolutely stupid thing for the idiot to do to you!

That's some fine writing, Mr. Danny. Very imaginative and creative. I enjoyed it. Thank you for letting us hear your music. You are a talented composer.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

--!! What a story - And the scratched old photo captures a surreal, blurred late '50's moment that just has to be Seen to be believed. Amazing--I would have TOTally freaked to have been stuff onto the handle bars like that by this out of control Keystone Kop.

I seem to be one of the last people on Earth who likes clowns - But I haven't been terrorized and traumatized by one. I do admit there's a creepy thing about clowns though---um, that's why I like them. Go figure. Creepiness amuses me as long as it's not really Threatening kind of creepiness. I actually wanted to Be one when I was a kid. "The Clowns"--semi-obscure film by Felini is a fave - I could go on.

MEAnwhile, your textural jazz piece captures the moment and expands on it nicely. The constant bass figure was an especially effective sound making me think of the bike wheels turning.

Unusual story and music, both--Thanks, Dan!

Randy B.

Hi Danny,

What a great piece ! The music captures your story perfectly. The bass has just the right feeling of foreboding, and the changes above it are very effective.

Regards,

Jack

Danny:

This is a brilliantly crafted piece of music. I wanted to be frightened but I was too intrigued and caught up in the sounds I was hearing. It seemed to me to be more "Stan Kenton Plays for the Twilight Zone." I love the bass trombone part but it was all great.

sos

I can hear the terror in the music.

It's weird what adults will innocently do to kids.

I remember in the first grade a few of us being locked out of our grade school and having to wait for the older kids afternoon bus for several hours with no supervision. We started thinking we were going to be stranded there for ever. Some of the kids had to wet themselves because there was no access to a restroom.

it was really good and the horns worked well for the clown feel.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Hi Danny,
    A most descriptive work.
    Mostly Adults don't recognize the World of a child. How many
    kids are traumatized By Santa?
    I especially liked the Bari solo. That's "bari good writing....(sorry, couldn't hep it).
    Gary
    Thanks for listening, Gary... your comments about a child's world do ring true; although my clown ride was long, long ago, the experience is still very vivid in my memory. I really do enjoy making light of it now, though (I even posed for a picture with a bike riding clown at a parade a few years ago). And this piece, of course, is very tongue-in-cheek (there's even a clown-related musical quote in there somewhere!).

Glad you liked the bari writing "bari" much -- I tried not to bari it too much in the mix!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    What an absolutely stupid thing for the idiot to do to you!

That's some fine writing, Mr. Danny. Very imaginative and creative. I enjoyed it. Thank you for letting us hear your music. You are a talented composer.

My best,

Larry
    Thanks, Larry! Yeah, I think some clowns aren't too bright.

I always appreciate your comments, compliments, and unfailing support!

Glad you enjoyed this one (kind of coincidentally paralleled your last piece, no?).

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    --!! What a story - And the scratched old photo captures a surreal, blurred late '50's moment that just has to be Seen to be believed. Amazing--I would have TOTally freaked to have been stuff onto the handle bars like that by this out of control Keystone Kop.

I seem to be one of the last people on Earth who likes clowns - But I haven't been terrorized and traumatized by one. I do admit there's a creepy thing about clowns though---um, that's why I like them. Go figure. Creepiness amuses me as long as it's not really Threatening kind of creepiness. I actually wanted to Be one when I was a kid. "The Clowns"--semi-obscure film by Felini is a fave - I could go on.

MEAnwhile, your textural jazz piece captures the moment and expands on it nicely. The constant bass figure was an especially effective sound making me think of the bike wheels turning.

Unusual story and music, both--Thanks, Dan!

Randy B.
    I'll forgive you for being a clown fan, Randy! Ironically, I ended up playing trombone in the Barum & Bailey house band for several years during my "playing days" when they travelled through San Diego each summer; I saw clowns doing some pretty scary things backstage!

Thanks for listening and commenting, my friend. Hope Dorian is going well!!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru
    Hi Danny,

What a great piece ! The music captures your story perfectly. The bass has just the right feeling of foreboding, and the changes above it are very effective.

Regards,

Jack
    Thanks for listening, Jack! I very much appreciate you taking the time to listen and to respond with such kind comments.

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast