• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GigaSampler and Windows 2000

Share/Bookmark

GigaSampler and Windows 2000

Is there a planned upgrade to GigaSampler to support Windows 2000? I tried to put it on a test machine and it wouldn\'t even install.

Brian

Re: GigaSampler and Windows 2000

GigaStudio is supposed to support Win2k, but I wonder if there will be any Hardware GSIF support on Win2k in the near future.

[This message has been edited by David Abraham Fenton (edited 02-19-2000).]

The Soundscape Mixtreme already has working Win2000 drivers. Did you mean that by Hardware GSIF support ??

Btw: Dave of Nemesys said that the first version of Gigastudio will not support Win2000, but the next version will. This is disappointing to day the least because I´ve been running W2K for weeks and won´t return to Win98 no matter what. Maybe someone can comment on the real availability of Win2000 support of Gigastudio ?

D*mm, I just bought a dual processor mobo to have high performance GSW (GigaSamplerWorkstation).

When is this second release due?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by midiboy:
    The Soundscape Mixtreme already has working Win2000 drivers. Did you mean that by Hardware GSIF support ??

Btw: Dave of Nemesys said that the first version of Gigastudio will not support Win2000, but the next version will. This is disappointing to day the least because I´ve been running W2K for weeks and won´t return to Win98 no matter what. Maybe someone can comment on the real availability of Win2000 support of Gigastudio ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean, I\'ve dual booted with W2k and Win98 and it\'s painful to go back to Win98, I avoid it whenever I can.

I think Hardware vendors will have to write another GSIF driver to work with Win2k, that could take a while. Ideally I would like to see Nemesys build a GSIF model based on a white paper written by Ron Kuper of Cakewalk: http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/audio_i.htm
    -david

[This message has been edited by David Abraham Fenton (edited 02-20-2000).]

Well, I have talked to a guy who works for Soundscape ( Mixtreme driver development team ) ...

He said that the GSIF interface was indeed only developed for Win95/98 and will not work with either NT4 oder Win2000. So the Win2000 driver of my mixtreme card does not as of yet contain the GSIF interface.

He also said that he will talk to Nemesys about an implementation of the GSIF interface into a Win2000 driver ...

I have no idea WHEN all this will happen. I mean ... Gigastudio will be released in April ... if I remember correctly it took Nemesys almost half a year to update Gigasampler to V 1.5 which finally offered Win98 support. *ggg*

If history repeats itself *ggg* this would mean that we would get real Windows 2000 support around November 2000 IF Gigastudio is really released in April and no unexpected problems occur ...

But I don´´t want to sound too pessimistic. Maybe Dave or someone else could really give us a honest timeframe of complete ( app and GSIF ) Windows 2000 support. I just won´t return to Win98 NO MATTER WHAT ! :-))

Just a suggestion,
    try installing win98, then applying Shane Brooks \"win98lite\". Removed the browser and replace the 3 system files with the win95 ones (like it instructs you to do). Then install your audio apps. Assuming you have decent drivers for your audio card, you should be able to work reliably on a system like this. I wouldn\'t recommend win2000 for audio. It doesn\'t even support directx yet. (even though they claim it does, this is rubbish, as you will find when you go looking for your dx plugins in soundforge et al......).

Though I do agree, it is the only OS by Microsoft that seems like it might just run for 24 hours without a reboot

We\'ll just have to wait for the hardware manufacturers to jump onboard in the next 12 months - or years if you count Aardvark

Bob

I have to disagree with the last poster re.
    DX Plug use in Sound Forge in Win 2000.
    It works just fine. I am wondering if u r using a beta of Win2000 or possibly have some other problem? Anyway, I just don\'t want anyone else to be misled.
    Algae

Question for midi boy , As we all know win 98is faily unstable , although like mentioned above maybe win 98 lite will be better . I think I try that , where do you get this win 98 lite? Anyway my question for midi boy is why dont you want to go back to win 98 , is win 2000 that much more reliable ?

Hi Kenn,
    I think this site looks like the way to go - they offer a Win98Micro as well. Haven\'t tried it myself yet, though.
    http://www.98lite.net/98lite.html

Go Back to forum