• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: idea from Omnisphere: clothes dryer with violin bow

Share/Bookmark

idea from Omnisphere: clothes dryer with violin bow

The original idea is not mine, but was used for Omnisphere....
    I placed two guitars on a clothes dryer, and i "played" it with a violin bow.

the guitars are for amplification. Wihtout them the "instrument" does not emit an appreciable sound volume...

I also recorded the perfomance and i placed the video on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxUsSbhlckg

The first experimental recording was done with a minidisc recorder and a cheap mic. You can download it in mp3 format from my site.
    Then, i took part of this recording and i tried to process it with delay, reverber, pitch shifer, etc, to obtain something like an "evolving pad" and a rhytmic experiment...

the sounds can be downloaded from here:

http://www.alchemystudio.it/FreeSamp...esIndex_en.htm

(there are also other stuff on my site...)

i think that as soon as i have some spare time i will try to record some more sample with a presonus preamp and a condenser mic... :wink:

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    I was inspired by a unique sampling technique I saw demonstrated by Spectrasonics for their upcoming "Omnisphere" instrument, so I decided
    to try to reproduce it myself. Please note however, that I am not
    involved with Spectrasonics in any way, nor has my work been used for Omnisphere. My samples are not the same as the ones in the Omnisphere core library and are an hobbyst work!!!

Credit for the original "Bowed Drying Rack" concept and recording techniques that were created for Ominsphere should go to another
    Italian sound designer named Diego Stocco, who is one of the official Spectrasonics sound designers.

Re: idea from Omnisphere: clothes dryer with violin bow

hehe, pretty cool

When is the sample library going to be released?? Are they going to have at least 8 velocity levels and use the new filtering capabilities of gigastudio??

Talking Re: idea from Omnisphere: clothes dryer with violin bow

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro View Post
    When is the sample library going to be released??
    actually, it depends also from my mother, which actually owns the instrument itself!!!!

Are they going to have at least 8 velocity levels and use the new filtering capabilities of gigastudio??
    i plan to record some performance samples like the vienna symphonic library.
    you will get smooth legato between all the different "notes" (i.e. part of the rack), repetitions with velocity between 40 and 200 rpm to avoid the machine gun effect, glissati, sforzati, flautando and "sul ponticello".

i will also use an algorithm similar to the one employed by the garritan solo violin to achieve smoothless transition without phasing between PPP and FFF (7 velocity layers).

the library will be released fo kontakt 2 (sorry for GS owners!), and thanks to the script language and to the convolution reverb you will be able to simulate the size of the drying clothes rack, the kind of clothes that will be hang for drying (trousers, pants, socks... they colour the sound very musically!), the ambient (my bathroom, the kitchen, the outside courtyard - with and without sun - the laundry...) and the number of guitars and other instruments that resonate: i plan to use, beside guitars, double bass, a piano and a violin.

just let me find some spare time to record it...

Please also include some samples with the guitars in "drop-D" tuning, as I'd love to use this in my death-metal projects.

I think it's very important to get the with and without sun samples... I think this will tend to color the sound, in some instances, making it brighter...

Group buy?

The TWO guitars are for a stereo effect, I presume. This is exciting stuff!

Carl

hey... with all these positive feedback i'm seriously thinking about entering in the sample library market!!
    it's all about finding some time on the weekend to record some hours on this stuff, some time to edit it.... and to assemble something usable and useful for making music!
    i will let you know about my progress!!!

i have also some idea for a new video! ;-)

thanks again!

One question I have for you though, is your mother telling the neighbors that they can see her son playing her clothes dryer as a musical instrument on youtube, or is she keeping it dark, sort of like, "we always knew he was batty, this confirms it" and the evidence is up on youtube for 1000s to see ...

Go Back to forum