• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reflections of the North - Film Music - with Strad

Share/Bookmark

Reflections of the North - Film Music - with Strad

Here is another one of my film music exercises I did quite a while ago using the Garritan Strad, piano and strings and some percussion. I have put the 2:35 minute video in suitable formats for PC (Windows Media Player and MAC (Quicktime) along with music only mp3. Most computers will not have any problem playing it but maybe some of the older slower models will get quite choppy and/or drop frames. Sometimes it helps to let it play once and then start again so more of it loads into RAM memory.

The footage here was from Alaska but it is quite familiar to me as I lived in a culturally similar place on Baffin Island for almost 20 years so this was all quite familiar.

Please don't be shy and let me know if there are things I should have or should not have done. What works, and what doesn't!

Video FOR WINDOWS USERS (Windows Media Player)
    http://www.mdtcommunications.com/Ref...OfTheNorth.wmv

Video FOR MAC USERS (Quicktime)
    http://www.mdtcommunications.com/Ref...OfTheNorth.mov

MUSIC ONLY:
    http://www.mdtcommunications.com/Ref...OfTheNorth.mp3
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Re: Reflections of the North - Film Music - with Strad

Hello, Del

Well it certainly is cheering to see you back here with a creation for us to enjoy.

Alas--the video version didn't work for me, but I'm sure that's unusual. My online computer is ancient, and still running on a Windows 98 operating system. There aren't many videos I can open directly like this.

So I listened to the MP3 - and I'm all the richer for it. In its brief span, it was like a precious gem proffered in an open palm, so glistening in its own unique, rather dark way.

"...let me know if there are things I should have or should not have done..."

Oh my goodness--You don't mean that literally I hope? Who is anybody to tell Anybody how they "should" or "should not" have done anything? - But I take you mean that you want to know if anything bothered us--My own reply is No, nothing distracted me. The Strad was prominent which I assumed was your design - the whole experience, though far too short--I wanted it to go on--was just captivating. Wonderful slice of atmosphere.

Randy B.

Del,

It's hard to create music that will be as beautiful as the landscapes in the video - but you managed to do just that. There is a haunting sense of stillness/aloneness that pervades the music, and complements wonderfully the footage. I listened to this pretty early this morning - it seems like music for later in the day - and I still found it quite captivating!

Bravo

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I thought it worked very well. Personally, I might have liked the opening especially to be a little less sharp sounding - maybe a touch more reverb, or EQ to squash some higher frequencies, or a softer tone on the violin - I'm not really sure how to achieve that. And that is just my personal preference since I love soft mushy music! Maybe I'm missing the point of the scenes shown in the movie. I'm sure Alaska isn't soft and mushy.

Very nice work, Del.

Del:

Great video and a great score to bring it to life.
    The music was very descriptive of what was happening
    visually--you nailed that.

I thought the orchestration was good with a great choice
    of instruments. The Stradivari, I thought, needed some
    editing in the "portamento" area. Some of the note-to-note
    sequences had kind of a "swoop" feeling. Maybe it's just
    my interpretation of how I would do it, but everything else
    was really "right on."

I agree that the beginning could be softer and maybe a more
    lushness to it, but that is a small point with me.

BRAVO, Del

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Nice work Dell. I liked it a lot.

I think adding some reverb, as others have mentioned, might help give it a bit more ambience to match the vast landscape of Alaska.

Also, I think it'd be interesting to hear a version that moved the solo melodic line around a bit between intsruments. The solo strad is a bit bright and it's easy to miss what's going on with the rest of the orchestra. Perhaps using the solo violin in some scenes to emphasize the loneliness would be effective. In other scenes, perhaps a viola or violin section would give a bigger more lush feel as a contrast. These sections could also build the dynamics in areas where the images are more dramatic (no people).

You did this type of arranging a bit around 1:25 - 1:47.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud.

Nice job again.

Eric

Bravo!

Del, I fullscreened this and watched and listened, oh,
    I don't know... must have been four times... lol. For
    some reason (could it be the quality of the writing?)
    it struck some very deep resonances with me.

Thank you for this one, Del. A very moving experience!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Del

Well it certainly is cheering to see you back here with a creation for us to enjoy.

Alas--the video version didn't work for me, but I'm sure that's unusual. My online computer is ancient, and still running on a Windows 98 operating system. There aren't many videos I can open directly like this.

So I listened to the MP3 - and I'm all the richer for it. In its brief span, it was like a precious gem proffered in an open palm, so glistening in its own unique, rather dark way.

"...let me know if there are things I should have or should not have done..."

Oh my goodness--You don't mean that literally I hope? Who is anybody to tell Anybody how they "should" or "should not" have done anything? - But I take you mean that you want to know if anything bothered us--My own reply is No, nothing distracted me. The Strad was prominent which I assumed was your design - the whole experience, though far too short--I wanted it to go on--was just captivating. Wonderful slice of atmosphere.

Randy B.
    Randy thanks for your kind words - too bad you could not see the video as well. Video sure taxes a computer!

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Del,

It's hard to create music that will be as beautiful as the landscapes in the video - but you managed to do just that. There is a haunting sense of stillness/aloneness that pervades the music, and complements wonderfully the footage. I listened to this pretty early this morning - it seems like music for later in the day - and I still found it quite captivating!

Bravo
    Ron - Thanks for taking the time to comment and watch the video. Yes the North can be quite haunting especially at night, by yourself out on the land!

Del

Beautiful landscapes and beautiful music that fit great.

Well done

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    I thought it worked very well. Personally, I might have liked the opening especially to be a little less sharp sounding - maybe a touch more reverb, or EQ to squash some higher frequencies, or a softer tone on the violin - I'm not really sure how to achieve that. And that is just my personal preference since I love soft mushy music! Maybe I'm missing the point of the scenes shown in the movie. I'm sure Alaska isn't soft and mushy.

Very nice work, Del.
    EnglishGent - Thanks for taking the time to comment and watch! You are right, the intro was a bit shrill in places. I did have quite a bit of reverb on it but maybe some EQ might help. Yes the North is a very harsh place. It will kill you if you are not careful and wise as many have found out the hard way. I do find the Strad quite harsh in its tone (could have something to do with the positioning of the expression pedal) Like you, I do like that full, lush, mellow solo violin sound that you hear live or on recordings. To my knowledge this does not exist in the sampling world. My oldest daughter also finds the Strad quite harsh at times as well (to the point where it does not sound as real as it should) Anyway, thanks for pointing that out!

Great video and a great score to bring it to life.
    The music was very descriptive of what was happening
    visually--you nailed that.

I thought the orchestration was good with a great choice
    of instruments. The Stradivari, I thought, needed some
    editing in the "portamento" area. Some of the note-to-note
    sequences had kind of a "swoop" feeling. Maybe it's just
    my interpretation of how I would do it, but everything else
    was really "right on."

I agree that the beginning could be softer and maybe a more
    lushness to it, but that is a small point with me.

BRAVO, Del -Jack
    Thanks Jack - Yes playing the Strad is a work in progress allright. Thanks for your suggestions - always appreciated. I need to listen to real violinists more and more to see how they do it.

Nice work Dell. I liked it a lot.

I think adding some reverb, as others have mentioned, might help give it a bit more ambience to match the vast landscape of Alaska.

Also, I think it'd be interesting to hear a version that moved the solo melodic line around a bit between intsruments. The solo strad is a bit bright and it's easy to miss what's going on with the rest of the orchestra. Perhaps using the solo violin in some scenes to emphasize the loneliness would be effective. In other scenes, perhaps a viola or violin section would give a bigger more lush feel as a contrast. These sections could also build the dynamics in areas where the images are more dramatic (no people).

You did this type of arranging a bit around 1:25 - 1:47.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud.

Nice job again.

Eric
    Eric - Thanks for taking the time to watch and listen and making suggestions which I appreciate. Unfortunately there is no solo viola yet from Garritan - so nothing else can really come close to the expressiveness of the STrad at this time.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast