• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Round Robin"

Share/Bookmark

"Round Robin"

Counterpoint Fans,

This is my short composition for five woodwinds, "Round Robin". The instruments "introduce themselves" during the first few measures.

This was originally a work for brass. My thanks to our mutual forum friend Steve Sample for suggesting to me that I convert it to a woodwind piece for clarity of the voices.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Round Robin"

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    Very nice, Larry! I agree with your decision to move this to a woodwind ensemble, it definitely seems to fit the style of the piece. My only suggestion is that certain parts of the recording become a little heavy and my ear is wanting to hear more dynamic contrast. The best example I can give you is with the 4-note descending bari (or is it tenor...I'm a horn, I ignore saxophones) part around 1:15 (and other places). It seems like this should be a bit more driving, and really bring push the ensemble to 'bring home' the last few moments of that particular section.

Nice work, thanks for posting it!

Jon
    With this much counterpoint going on, it's almost impossible to write something so that each voice is easily discernable at any particular time.

Thanks for listening.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry:
    I wish you had included a little more of the explanation of why and how this piece "flew from your pen."
    It has been said that the human ear has trouble keeping tract of more than two melodies at a time, thus the practice in fugal writing of introducing the lines one at a time then bringing them together.

sos

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Larry:
    I wish you had included a little more of the explanation of why and how this piece "flew from your pen."
    It has been said that the human ear has trouble keeping track of more than two melodies at a time, thus the practice in fugal writing of introducing the lines one at a time then bringing them together.

sos
    Thanks for your message, Mister Steve.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

This is really cool Larry - I do enjoy counterpoint. I think you pull off the various lines very well.

It also has that certain something that identifies as yours.

Very enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    This is really cool Larry - I do enjoy counterpoint. I think you pull off the various lines very well.

It also has that certain something that identifies as yours.

Very enjoyable!
    G'day, Mate, and thanks very much.

Let's throw another shrimp on the you-know-what.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry,

The distinctly different timbres of the instruments you chose for this really make it unique, but also very clearly enunciated, well-balanced, and well-blended. In other words, it really worked out great! I especially enjoyed the bari sax playing along and behaving so well with the other, more delicate-natured woodwinds.

You're quite a contrapuntally well-endowed fellow, Larry!

A very fun listen to come home to today! Thanks!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Hi Larry,

The distinctly different timbres of the instruments you chose for this really make it unique, but also very clearly enunciated, well-balanced, and well-blended. In other words, it really worked out great! I especially enjoyed the bari sax playing along and behaving so well with the other, more delicate-natured woodwinds.

You're quite a contrapuntally well-endowed fellow, Larry!

A very fun listen to come home to today! Thanks!

Danny
    That could be why I am popular with the ladies, Mr. Danny. (Not!)

Thanks for the good words and thank you for listening.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

You always have (and give) a good time with the
    winds, Larry -- an astute and interesting choice
    of resources in this that both blend and contrast
    well.

Say, uh, about the "robin" part... I would not mind
    seeing a few up here with the weather. If I play
    this really, really loudly, will it induce spring?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Mister David,

I apologize for not responding to your message concerning this work. I can't recall that I have ever pulled a dumb, inconsiderate trick like this before. Better late than never.

Thank you for the kind words as always.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast