• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instruments and Voices

Share/Bookmark

Question Instruments and Voices

Hello to all!
    I am writing an Oratorio for Orchestra, Choir and Soloists using Overture 4 and Garritan Personal Orchestra, but I have not samples for Choir (S, A, T, B) and Solo (S, B).
    Please be so kind to advise me how to proceed further and recommend me Voice samples.
    Best regards to our community,
    Alex

Re: Instruments and Voices

Hello Alex,

I see this is your first post, so please let me extend to you a warm welcome to the community!

There are no Garritan voices out yet, aside from a few generic "ooh" sounds included in Finale. So here's the vocal options available to you. As a disclaimer, they'll all take a boatload of work to sound intelligible:

1. EWQL Symphonic Choirs - This one of the only products on the market currently with the ability to "speak" custom words. These are recorded samples. It's considered the sample library standard for the "epic" choir passages, and does not include SATB sections, rather only Male and Female. I've heard reports that their singing ranges are not standard, but not owning the library, I cannot say either way.

2. Vocaloid Products - Their new "Prima" model and older Leon and Miriam voices also include some speech synthesis capabilities. It's all computer modeling, though pretty impressive. All "soloists".

3. Harmony Assistant. Forum member Terry (tjtx) has posted a method in Finale for this. It may be applicable to Overture and your usage.

If you're just looking for oohs and ahh's, your cheapest bet at this point may be to use a choral soundfont (sf2) in conjunction with sfz, a free VST soundfont player. There's a free Papelmedia Choir soundfont floating around on the web that's pretty decent. Other commercial options that come to mind (which may or may not include syllables/phrases) are the Miroslav Choir Reason Refill if you have Reason (there's also a Sampletank version), the Vienna Symphonic Library Sopranos, Spectrasonics' Symphony of Voices, and Magnus Choir.

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    If you're just looking for oohs and ahh's, your cheapest bet at this point may be to use a choral soundfont (sf2) in conjunction with sfz, a free VST soundfont player. There's a free Papelmedia Choir soundfont floating around on the web that's pretty decent.
    I used this method to create the following piece using GPO for the orchestral instruments...
    http://schneb.googlepages.com/music12
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post

1. EWQL Symphonic Choirs - This one of the only products on the market currently with the ability to "speak" custom words. These are recorded samples. It's considered the sample library standard for the "epic" choir passages, and does not include SATB sections, rather only Male and Female. I've heard reports that their singing ranges are not standard, but not owning the library, I cannot say either way.

Hi Alex

I own EWQLSC and it is pretty good - and actually does include SATB sections. The problem however, is that the ranges are indeed well off for soprano and bass parts and essentially are un-usable. It is possible to do SATB work, but requires either messing around with swapping notes between extra alto and tenor parts to make up for the missing sections (sopranos don't go below A440 and basses no higher than A an octave below this if my memory is correct), or just using ooh's and ahh's, which is irritating. Apparently the problem will be fixed with an update which were are told will happen at some point, but I've given up holding my breath.

In the meantime, I mainly use a soundfont for choir ahh's - Florestan's choir: http://oui.com.br/n/download.php?view.6

I've played with several choir samples and this is what I always come back to, I really urge you to give it a go until Garry releases the definitive library

Good luck!

Red face Re: Instruments and Voices

Dear Fellows,
    Thanks so much to Reegs, schneb and I.buck for their proposals and recommendations. At first I shall try with choral soundfonts and GPO orchestral instruments. In the future I will expect new release from Garry and updates for EWQLSC.
    Best regards,
    Alex

Go Back to forum