• Register
  • Help

Topic: Alternatives for Strad and Gofriller

Share/Bookmark

Alternatives for Strad and Gofriller

Murphy has a mean streak... tis the only rational explanation!

Garritan has dropped the Strad and Gofriller solo instruments, and unfortunately within the next month I'm going to have a need for boh to do some mock-ups.

Timing is everything they say!

I suppose it is always possible that the GPO-A or whatever is going to replace them will (a) be released in that time frame, and (b) be as good as, or (dare I say it) even better than those tools which it is replacing.

And if that happens I'm a very happy camper.

But if it doesn't, well, I need to start developing my plan B. My challenge is that the mock-ups I need to create have very exposed violin and cello parts. One score is centered on guitar and violin and the other guitar, cello, and flute. So the instruments need to be the best I can afford!

Sadly the players that played the parts are not available - the flute and guitar players are available, and I will be recording those parts live. That alone lends tremendous realism to the recordings, but it isn't enough<G>!

I have one reasonable alternative for the violin, a friend owns it and I can hire his studio to record those parts. I'd prefer not to spend the money, as money is tight (which is why I hadn't made the purchase previously!)

So, has anyone any experience with other solo violin and cello libraries? I have played with the Tascam solo violin, and I think I might be able to use it. However I don't think it is nearly as convincing, in the context of Appalachian music, as the Strad could be.

Of course there is no guarantee that I have the chops to make any of these instruments sound alive, but I'd like to minimize the obstacles.

Thoughts??

Thanks!!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Re: Alternatives for Strad and Gofriller

Amazon is showing 3 Gofrillers and 3 Strads left in stock. HURRY!!!!

Try Ebay - search for Garritan. They have both libraries.

This forum really is a gift!!!

I had looked at eBay, but it is so difficult to figure out if a seller is legit. I had three different friends purchase what they thought were the real Ensoniq EPS Sample libraries on CD (Ensoniq did publish such things way back when) and in all three cases, despite detailed questions, what they received were pirated duplicates, and not terribly well done pirated dupes at that. So I am wary of software deals on eBay.

I had not thought to look at Amazon, I figured if they were taken off the market they were taken off the market... didn't think there would still be copies in the pipeline. I've already contacted a couple of my favorite music stores to see if they have copies.

Not 100% certain how I'll make this happen, but at least I have options... options are good!

Thanks all...
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

dropped? I thought the ARIA versions were going to replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by moosethree View Post
    dropped? I thought the ARIA versions were going to replace them?
    Only a handful of people know for sure, and they aren't talking. It seems highly likely that the solo instruments will either be re-packaged with the new player, or possibly rolled into the GPO Advanced library (my own preference, for a number of reasons, would be the later!)

That doesn't help me though... through a ridiculously inconvenient sequence of events I expect to be ready to re-do my mock-ups for two scores (the original mock-ups used GPO, and they aren't bad, but they aren't what I believe I can create!)

So, I was hoping that someone might say "I tried brand-X and it is almost as good" but rather people pointed out that there is enough left in the pipeline (I hope) to save my sorry bacon!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    Amazon is showing 3 Gofrillers and 3 Strads left in stock. HURRY!!!!
    Time+Space & Best Service both seem to have some copies left too. At BS you can even get a 10% discount on both libraries.

Hi,

I have the strad, and wanted to pick up the Gofriller but missed it in the last event. I have been using the vienna instrument solo strings for viola and cello in quartets and like them a lot. Very different from the strad, sometimes faster to set up. You do not have the ultimate control over expression though. They do have a more complete set of effects (harmonics, tzigane...) if you get the extended library. The basic is good for the bread and butter.

Paul

Go Back to forum