• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Tell Us What You Want - The GPO-JABB-CoMB and ARIA Wish List

Share/Bookmark

Tell Us What You Want - The GPO-JABB-CoMB and ARIA Wish List

As we work at programming our libraries for the ARIA player, and here's your chance to let us know what you would like to see. We'll have some more capabilities and features. We may even add some more samples to some of the libraries.

I want to bring you as much as possible and your input is valuable. This is not a thread to flame or digress about any current shortcomings; rather its about bettering the libraries for the future and letting us know what you want. Specific suggestions would help most.

So let us know what you would like to see and we'll consider it and see what we can do for future editions of the libraries.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Garritan

Re: Tell Us What You Want - The GPO-JABB-CoMB and ARIA Wish List

I'll start...

Some of us are not professional musicians and don't have a lot of money to throw around on our beloved music hobby. We need scaled-down versions of instruments that will allow us to play, but not put us into extreme debt. This was the beauty of GPO. If a pro needed a more robust version, it was available. Even GPO took a person's hardware limitations into consideration. For example, Steinway Lite vs the full version for those with limited RAM.

I would like to see (soon) a Choir package that just contains the basic Aaahs, Ooohs, Mmmmms, in Boys, Mens, Womens, solo male, solo female and Full Choir. That would be great. The big, bad "we can sing anything" package can come later with full fanfare.

I would also like to see in the near future an International instruments package. How often I would have liked a Uilleann Pipe or Didgeridoo for those special pieces. Creating a Middle Eastern soundtrack without the special reed instruments can be pretty challenging.

As for the JABB, because I do not have an extensive keyboard, I could not access hardly any of the control features on the guitar. It would be great if the ARIA player allowed a custom patch panel that will allow control elements to be moved where ever we deem them best utilized. Remember, I am talking from a hobbyists point of view, and there are a LOT of us.

Does ARIA come with a Convolution Reverb like on NI Kontakt 2? I hope so, that would be great. However, unlike NI, I would like to be able to have global control over the settings. If you are using, say, 20 instruments, changing reverb settings could be a bit of a pain.

Schneb
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Oh cool!!!

I've probably written most of these wishes, but here they are in one post:
    -JABB percussions
    .rimshot for the brush kit
    .more control over the drum sounds, especially in the drum kits
    .possibility to mix dry, room (and overhead if possible) in the drumkits

-ARIA (and GPOA)
    .possibility to easily build ensembles that read one midi data, but every player varies it a bit (both note velocity, start/stop time and CC data)
    .possibility to set ensembles the way they do in Wallander at the moment so that for example a 4-note-chord played on a midi controller will be split properly to a string quartet -> basically easy ways to play small or large ensembles in a live-situation so that there won't be any unnecessary doublings etc.
    .possibility to route audio to ARIA plugin so that you can position audio recordings to the same space with Garritan instruments and get a unified acoustic enviroment for the rest of the mix (maybe part of the Real Spaces, if it's coming)
    .a good string quartet!

More to come, I'll just edit this post if I think of something more. All the best there, keep on the awesome pioneer work!

Hello Gary,

You have so much on the go already and you are looking for MORE

Anyway, since you ask I would absolutely love a sampled Fortepiano. The Mozart Museum at Salzburg Austria has a beauty .. Mozart's own Fortepiano (You can hear a recording of it here.) Now .. if that were to be sampled .....

I doubt this will happen so any good Fortepiano will do
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    If the link does not work, try here... http://www.michaelsroom.co.uk/Mozart...20Concerto.mp3
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    If the link does not work, try here... http://www.michaelsroom.co.uk/Mozart...20Concerto.mp3
    Thanks Schneb, I was fixing it as you posted .. it should work now.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I know I sound like a broken record, but....

continued ease of integration with notation programmes like Finale.

What I appreciate the most about GPO, is that I can simply work on my scores and Finale + HP + GPO (and the other Garritan libraries) will play them back in a more than satisfactory way with a minimum of fuss and muss.

Keep this ease of use, and the good integration, and you will not lose the hundreds (if not thousands) of Finale users who have grown to love GPO and its sister libraries.

This means keeping in touch with Robert P. and the developers at MakeMusic Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    What I appreciate the most about GPO, is that I can simply work on my scores and Finale + HP + GPO (and the other Garritan libraries) will play them back in a more than satisfactory way with a minimum of fuss and muss.
    I realize this pretty much is nothing more than a "me too" post, but this. Only recently have I gotten good with the Garritan libraries and Finale, but the results have been fantastic. It's easier to be creative when the sounds coming from Finale are as authentic as they are with GPO, JABB, and CAMB.

I realize that given how connected you have been with the folks at MakeMusic that this is probably already a given, but it is honestly the only thing I would be concerned about. I'm sure the Aria engine is going to do great things for many people who use the libraries in a variety of ways, but so long as I know that Finale integration is for the most part unchanged, then I'm thrilled.

...and now I'm back to work! Music doesn't write itself, you know!

GPO - I would be very happy if it thoroughly covered the BASICS of a standard symphony, so that people could make 'mock-ups' of almost any standard repertory classical (in the general sense) piece. Mozart, Rimsky-Korsakov, Wagner, Debussy, Hanson, Tschaikovsky, Stravinsky, Copland, Schoenberg, Gershwin, etc.

* Extended ranges
    * Control over vibrato
    * Control over portamento
    * Good legato
    * Crisp/fast staccatos (loud & soft)
    * Sustains (no fade in, good loops)
    * String harmonics, pizz, tremolo, col legno, sul pont, down bow/up bow, marcato, spicatto/ricochet, mute (for both solo & ensemble)
    * Good spacial placement & reverb
    * The ability to tweak things to our own tastes

The head of some company that makes drill bits once gave a speech to his employees and told them that they don't sell drill bits, they sell holes. What you need to sell us is not a collection of features, but the ability to make high quality MIDI 'mock-ups' that we can be proud of.

I like a good bowed vibraphone as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather you really nailed the basics.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

I think Gary is looking more for input on things like control, ease of use, interfacing with different programs, etc. How would you like to see things in the GPO ARIA player versus the original Kontakt Player and Kontakt Player 2. GPO, JABB and CoMB will have a totally different look so maybe we can get ideas on screen layouts for controls, menus, etc.

Many of the items mentioned like more strings articulations will be in GPOA or the upcoming GOS 2 strings.

Jim

Go Back to forum