• Register
  • Help

Topic: Eerie/Suspense track

Share/Bookmark

Eerie/Suspense track

Hi All,
    Got this short eerie/suspense piece I wrote to demo for this director. Would love to get some feedback on it.

It's up on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/scorewritermusicproductions

It's called "The Intruder Take 2" (this is a revised version). Original is also up there called "The Intruder"

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Eerie/Suspense track

Hi,

It's a definite improvement over your original.. but the biggest issue is those high string hits.. they sound very synthy.. the lower strings sound pretty realistic as do the other instruments.

Thanks for the feedback Dalek3. At least I'm halfway there!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the high string hits.
    I have the 1st/2nd violins and violas doubled up with 2 different libraries. Both are marcato samples. One I know is Sonic Implants library, the other not quite sure.

Maybe I should try to use one marcato and one staccato? Or is it the orchestration?
    Any thoughts on the reverb?

I might have a touch more reverb on the higher strings.. the reverb on the bass is fine.

It may also be that the mixture of the two string libraries isn't working too well for that particular application. Pick which one has the more realistic Marcato sample on its own.

Your cello/bass stuff would be better off panned center to help the bass tie everything together. Right now I hear the cello/bass coming out of one speaker and the high string bursts coming out of the other.

You might also want to play with the dynamics a bit on the high bursts. The groups of bursts (separated by rests) sound like they are playing at too identical a dynamic within the group... that certainly doesn't help with the synthy aspect.

Nice job mbreidegam.

I'd agree that the strings sound synthy. But they're also mixed way too loud relative to the rest of the instruments - it doesn't sound as if everything is coming from the same space. I'd try increasing the reverb level - but not the decay length (lest it get too washy) - on everything, and make sure it's the same reverb send - this tends to help bring the different instruments together, imho.

Also, maybe add a little bit of oomph to the string 'stabs', maybe a touch of brass mixed low in behind, just to give the tone a little more body/punch? Just a thought.

Otherwise sounds nice.

buzz

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    I might have a touch more reverb on the higher strings.. the reverb on the bass is fine.

It may also be that the mixture of the two string libraries isn't working too well for that particular application. Pick which one has the more realistic Marcato sample on its own.

Your cello/bass stuff would be better off panned center to help the bass tie everything together. Right now I hear the cello/bass coming out of one speaker and the high string bursts coming out of the other.

You might also want to play with the dynamics a bit on the high bursts. The groups of bursts (separated by rests) sound like they are playing at too identical a dynamic within the group... that certainly doesn't help with the synthy aspect.
    Hi Dalek,
    Made some changes on the track and would love some further feedback.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper View Post
    Nice job mbreidegam.

I'd agree that the strings sound synthy. But they're also mixed way too loud relative to the rest of the instruments - it doesn't sound as if everything is coming from the same space. I'd try increasing the reverb level - but not the decay length (lest it get too washy) - on everything, and make sure it's the same reverb send - this tends to help bring the different instruments together, imho.

Also, maybe add a little bit of oomph to the string 'stabs', maybe a touch of brass mixed low in behind, just to give the tone a little more body/punch? Just a thought.

Otherwise sounds nice.

buzz
    Hi Buzz,
    Made some changes on the track, including incorporating your suggestion on adding some brass. Love to hear some additional feedback.

Thanks!

Buzz,

This is creepy and atmospheric, but it seems like a bed of sound with no development. If you added an articulation of another instrument or sound that contrasts to the stabs of the strings and the the sounds that sustain, it may be more compelling. Otherwise, the creepiness becomes monotony. Maybe a bongos roll or something...

Marko

Hi,

The issues I spoke of are mostly fixed in this new version. Everything sounds realistic, and you have successfully gotten rid of most of the "keyboardishness" of the old versions. All the string hits are still a bit too similar in dynamic level.

As as standalone piece of music, this is somewhat lacking in development, as Marko says. Maybe compose a new contrasting section to be between the two repetitions of the theme?

Go Back to forum