• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dedieu-Peters - aux étoiles (string 4tet)

Share/Bookmark

Talking Dedieu-Peters - aux étoiles (string 4tet)

Continuing my exploration of obscuria, and trying out our latest forum trick whereby a Violin becomes a Viola, I bring you #1 of Trois Pièces - aux étoiles.. (the stars) by Madeline Dedieu-Peters.

I must confess, I have no information on this composer, but she wrote in a decidedly Impressionist vein, and if there is more, I would like to her it!

I really want to write some string quartet stuff, so I thought this little piece would be a great way to begin to learn some of the quirks of working with the Strad, Gofriller and "Violavarius".

Alas, this little 2 minute piece took probably 10 HOURS of work (and it needs a little tweaking in spots yet, still!)

I can hardly wait to do the other 2 of this set - definitely undiscovered treasures...

This used 4 instances of the Strad - Vln 1 is the Lyrical strad, Vln 2 the version 1, Vla is the lyrical strad down a perfect 5th (two instances). In order to get the complex 2-voice stuff in the Viola and the Gofriller I really needed to have 2 instances of both instruments.

Each instrument was rendered to WAV, then the WAV files were imported into Audacity for further level tweakage (I applied EQ to the "Violavarius" to get a richer tone).

Do let me know what you think - I believe I'm on the right track....

(Oh, and this is another "front seats" render - I tried to emulate some of the chamber recordings I've heard lately)

Enjoy,

- G

Re: Dedieu-Peters - aux étoiles (string 4tet)

This is really strange music. Impressionistic and dark.

I downloaded the pdf and can see there is plenty to notate.

There isn't anything about her on the web. You might be able to trace her with a genealogy program and locate a living relative that knows something or has a clue.

Her interests were probably frowned upon back then.

It sounds good.

Phil

Jon,

You've done it again. I'm always amazed that you find this stuff hidden away. Wonderful and completely off my radar. Excellent rendering too - intimate and realistic. This is how I prefer to hear a string quartet recorded. More please!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon View Post
    Continuing my exploration of obscuria, and trying out our latest forum trick whereby a Violin becomes a Viola, I bring you #1 of Trois Pièces - aux étoiles.. (the stars) by Madeline Dedieu-Peters.
    Jonathan,

This is a really great quartet work. I enjoyed it very much and I look forward to listening to your own quartet.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Thanks for stopping by, Phil!

This is odd music - perhaps that's why I was drawn to it!

Although one can download the parts, there is not a full score at Sibley - I might post my full score when I'm finished just so folks can have a look... it really helps one see things more clearly.

I'm sure there was still some resistance to her music, although she did manage to get this and at least 2 other pieces published. I shall have to do some more sleuthing

Peace,

_j

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    This is really strange music. Impressionistic and dark.

I downloaded the pdf and can see there is plenty to notate.

There isn't anything about her on the web. You might be able to trace her with a genealogy program and locate a living relative that knows something or has a clue.

Her interests were probably frowned upon back then.

It sounds good.

Phil

Hi, Tom!

Glad Gary let you away from the grind long enough to listen and post

The other 2 movements are a bit longer, so they'll take awhile (especially considering that I'm headed into my busy season).

As for the acoustic - I'll use the same settings for the next 2 movements.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed this, and promise to do more.

Cheers,

- J

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins View Post
    Jon,

You've done it again. I'm always amazed that you find this stuff hidden away. Wonderful and completely off my radar. Excellent rendering too - intimate and realistic. This is how I prefer to hear a string quartet recorded. More please!

Tom

Incredibly realistic... at moments I forgot I was listening to a rendered version of this rather than a real quartet.

(quick note: "aux étoiles" means literally "to the stars" or "at the stars")

Jon

I love the way this starts and ends.

I also would love to hear more of her work.

Great rendering!!

Well done

Ron

Glad you enjoyed it, Jun!

I'm not likely to get to my own quartet before this summer, but this rendering (and the other movements I'm working on now) will be a great "training ground" for when I start on my own piece.

Thanks again!

- J

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto View Post
    Jonathan,

This is a really great quartet work. I enjoyed it very much and I look forward to listening to your own quartet.

Sincerely,

Glad you liked it, Michel!

A lot of thanks goes to you and et Lux for your tips and tricks for working within Finale for a realistic result. While the realism comes from Robert P's wonderful Human Playback, that really doesn't come alive until the score is marked correctly. Fortunately, the composer marked her score VERY well, and only a few extra tweaks/additions were necessary on my part to achieve the results I wanted.

Thanks also for the translation - Google is OK, but it misses the idioms.

Peace,

- J
    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    Incredibly realistic... at moments I forgot I was listening to a rendered version of this rather than a real quartet.

(quick note: "aux étoiles" means literally "to the stars" or "at the stars")

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast